Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2018, 06:02   #31

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Long Time Lurker With Questions

For what it's worth as a full time live aboard/ occasional cruiser... Ish... East coast, so it may be different where you are. I work as a forklift driver about 11 months a year and make a spring time jaunt to Bermuda and usually gunkhole on the weekends through the summer take a month of around May and try to keep my expense low. I only spring for a slip in the winter when the rates are lower, on the mooring in the summer, which is kind of great. But I got lucky with where I work, I take the dinghy to the beach cross the street grab my dolly from my parking spot and "park" my dinghy there, reverse process when I leave.
There are many ways to make living aboard work well, and while I don't travel as much as some, I do travel much more than many, and it works for me. So to make my point as I'm rambling now, I would recommend figuring out what style of live aboard you want to become and then find out a way to make that a possibility. If more full time travel is the goal then picking up something like canvas repair, or maybe even working at a rigging shop until you really know what you are doing, or even looking into becoming a marine mechanic are all good ways to get by, as mentioned before the YouTube route is rather cluttered at the moment, but selling photography wouldn't be a bad way to go if you can get yourself established either, and I'm sure some company some where has an option as a "work from home" with pension consultation, or other such similar, but I doubt (and I may be very wrong about this) that you have any passion for that, although it may pay the bills. With the bartender bit, there is always, work for that in almost any city, and some money can be had in it, if in the right establishment. But I've droned long enough...
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 06:08   #32

Boat: Catalina 30

Also I kind of miss WA i was stationed in Bangor (Silverdale) for 6 years
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:27   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Harbinger View Post
For what it's worth as a full time live aboard/ occasional cruiser... Ish... East coast, so it may be different where you are. I work as a forklift driver about 11 months a year and make a spring time jaunt to Bermuda and usually gunkhole on the weekends through the summer take a month of around May and try to keep my expense low. I only spring for a slip in the winter when the rates are lower, on the mooring in the summer, which is kind of great. But I got lucky with where I work, I take the dinghy to the beach cross the street grab my dolly from my parking spot and "park" my dinghy there, reverse process when I leave.
There are many ways to make living aboard work well, and while I don't travel as much as some, I do travel much more than many, and it works for me. So to make my point as I'm rambling now, I would recommend figuring out what style of live aboard you want to become and then find out a way to make that a possibility. If more full time travel is the goal then picking up something like canvas repair, or maybe even working at a rigging shop until you really know what you are doing, or even looking into becoming a marine mechanic are all good ways to get by, as mentioned before the YouTube route is rather cluttered at the moment, but selling photography wouldn't be a bad way to go if you can get yourself established either, and I'm sure some company some where has an option as a "work from home" with pension consultation, or other such similar, but I doubt (and I may be very wrong about this) that you have any passion for that, although it may pay the bills. With the bartender bit, there is always, work for that in almost any city, and some money can be had in it, if in the right establishment. But I've droned long enough...
Oh, I've never actually been to Silverdale. Looks nice though.

People have come up with so many great ideas about making a living while sailing. And many that I have some experience with. I don't really have the luxury of "winging" it and seeing what I can come up with while sailing. At least not until I get a good amount saved up. I suppose if I were closer to a marina or had any of the sailing community near me, it would be easier to get my foot in the door. So all I can really do now is learn as much as possible and try to make choices that will get me closer to my goal. And you're definitely right, I'm not passionate about pension plans and 401(k)s. But at least I understand them now haha

I've thought about going for a cat eventually and doing a charter business. I know customer service and the restaurant business inside and out so that translates well. All I need is money! haha Maybe I'll find an investor. Not gonna hold my breath though
SeaToSkye is offline   Reply With Quote