Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 21:10   #31

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Re: List of Income-Generating Ideas while Cruising

This is the easiest way. Just sell cookies, cool-aid or something. Amass a large pile of money, then go!

;
Old 07-03-2011, 21:50   #32

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: List of Income-Generating Ideas while Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Try coastal cruising with the occassional anchoring and free diving of some of the dried up river beds where they meet the sea....
Best between Dooringbaai and work N as far as Port Noloth.... one small tip... keep your eyes open on the beach for guys who patrol with high powered rifles in an attempt to stop honest seamen from harvesting the sea....
Free diving you may get away with just recreational swimming... scuba gear..??
YOUR SCREWED
Well, I had to look that up. Sure would be great to find a diamond like that. Or a gold doubloon! I'm surprised they're not dredging that area constantly, or are they?

Rather than hijack- one way to make at least beer money is splicing double braid for others. Few will take the time to learn. $50 here, a hundred there...
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 00:41   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Hi Tia, I used to teach university and heard about these online gigs. Can you share how you found your online work? Or was is it through your regular job that you did this? Thanks in advance!
My first reaction was..........why not set up your own school?

If what you know / teach truly has a value to others then why share the $$$ unneccessarily? I wouldn't restrict myself to simply your subject - the value you have is knowing what the punters want and need (not always the same thing!) and what you / the college should present like.

Probably need some other cheap teachers............I wonder if there are any (other) proffessionals out there who would be willing to work for less than shorebased rates to sustain there own cruising? .......on an eat what you can catch basis (less expenses!).

Of course you won't be the first online. but just like the real world - always room for one more good business.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:54   #34

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
Hi Tia, I used to teach university and heard about these online gigs. Can you share how you found your online work? Or was is it through your regular job that you did this? Thanks in advance!
I started teaching online courses about three years ago as part of my regular job. As I got better at it, I sort of stumbled in to being offered an "online summer" last summer. I technically have summers off anyway and teach the summer courses as a part-timer.

It would be wonderful if you could figure out a way to do this year round to finance a long sabbatical. But I bet the academic politics would be ticklish to navigate.

Some of the for-profit schools (like Phoenix University) offer a lot of online teaching opportunities, I hear.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:57   #35

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My first reaction was..........why not set up your own school?

If what you know / teach truly has a value to others then why share the $$$ unneccessarily? I wouldn't restrict myself to simply your subject - the value you have is knowing what the punters want and need (not always the same thing!) and what you / the college should present like.

Probably need some other cheap teachers............I wonder if there are any (other) proffessionals out there who would be willing to work for less than shorebased rates to sustain there own cruising? .......on an eat what you can catch basis (less expenses!).

Of course you won't be the first online. but just like the real world - always room for one more good business.......
Have you ever watched the movie "White Squall"? This is exactly what that guy did. Didn't end well, though. Bad weather. Maybe that's why it's not done more these days? It seems perfectly doable. And with the online K-12 curricula that are available these days, it might be far more practical than in the past.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 14:50   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
Have you ever watched the movie "White Squall"? This is exactly what that guy did. Didn't end well, though. Bad weather. Maybe that's why it's not done more these days? It seems perfectly doable. And with the online K-12 curricula that are available these days, it might be far more practical than in the past.
Not seen that Movie. I am sure there are a squillion Online colleges already. Which I think is a good thing. No idea what a K-12 curricula is but then again I don't care much either But if someone wants to buy one, then be rude not to sell them something

Sounds like the online teaching thing would work well with plenty of part-timers who can drop in and out and cover for each other. And a whole world to market to, not just "Home". The trick would be the management. but also where the money was.......

........just chewing the fat, when I am meant to be doing something else - it's nearly 11pm here..........and being self employed means I have a squillion things left to do. But business is like a cross between Sudoku, Crosswords and Chess.........either you get a lot of the fun from just playing the game or you don't.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 16:10   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSailor
Hi all,
I am starting this in response to another posting I made. This may be somewhere else but it occured to me it would be useful to have one post which is a brain-dump of all money-making ideas while cruising. It is something I am researching now and so far I realize there is not one thing I will do to pay my bills but a combination of income-generating activities.

So here is what I have so far:

-Selling skills as a marine engineer
-Selling jewelry & crafts produce using local items
-Internet marketing, Affliate programs, & website
-Writing articles for internet revenue-sharing websites
-Day sails/charters

Hope to see alot more ideas here. I could use the inspiration to keep me going till I am on my own boat & no longer working on someone else's boat.

Cheers,
Phil
I had established a web business drop shipping electronics, thought I'd build it up before going cruising but the recession killed that idea. I get a pretty nice S.S. check which should be enough from what I've read here but I'm also an options trader and may continue that when I start cruising next year.
boatgearguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 17:14   #38

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Re: List of Income-generating Ideas while Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Transcription
Yes! This is what I currently do on the boat and how I plan to earn some money once we start cruising. I am an independent contractor and can fairly easily make $500 or more per month only working a few hours a day 3 or 4 days a week whenever I have a decent internet connection available. Of course I could earn more if I wanted to devote more time to it.

I download audio files from my contracts, transcribe them, and then send the completed transcript back. I only need an internet connection for downloading files, uploading the completed transcripts and for any Google research I need to do.

My contracts direct deposit my money once a month. It's great.
Old 08-03-2011, 17:33   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: List of Income-Generating Ideas while Cruising

Stuff like transcriptions all very well but for old folks like me who look these things up its double dutch...
everything wants bids... never done it so would not know where to start...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 17:40   #40

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

Does anybody run a shore-based business remotely? Not easy, but I imagine that someone clever could make it work.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 21:55   #41

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Thanks! On another forum, someone had said that they knew someone who had strung together a few online college (university) contracts and was making a nice six-figure salary from home. Sounds good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
I started teaching online courses about three years ago as part of my regular job. As I got better at it, I sort of stumbled in to being offered an "online summer" last summer. I technically have summers off anyway and teach the summer courses as a part-timer.

It would be wonderful if you could figure out a way to do this year round to finance a long sabbatical. But I bet the academic politics would be ticklish to navigate.

Some of the for-profit schools (like Phoenix University) offer a lot of online teaching opportunities, I hear.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, income