Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 11:45   #16

Re: Life choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by windex View Post
5-7 years is a long time, but the good news is that I can probably pick up a Gemini Legacy 35 or something similar next year for coastal and short haul cruising in the meanwhile.

This way when I destroy it I'm out less money.

Oh, also, the Nordhavn is about a 1.8 million dollar boat, based on an estimate I saw a few years back.

It's also a monohull but is otherwise what I'm looking for specs wise.

Now you're talking.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 21:10   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

My understanding was that your long term goal was to live aboard a Cat?
That you were considering living onboard in Japan and supplement acquisition cost by using your corporate living allowance?

If so, then stick to the size you feel comfortable with and look for a boat that will meet your ergonomic needs.

Take your time to study the used market and do searches with local brokers in remote areas of the pacific, whose owners are seriously motivated to sell.

If you are successful, then the delivery is not a big deal if you do the same level of research on transport solutions

Whether this boat becomes your last or first is impossible to tell as so many unknown factors will come into play.

So why pay a premium of new for something not completely defined, when you can explore the used market as a test of your primary life choices?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 10:38   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
So why pay a premium of new for something not completely defined, when you can explore the used market as a test of your primary life choices?
Eh. If I paid heed with cautious reasoning like that I'd of never made it to Japan.

The biggest problem is logistical. The used boat market here is not suitable for large recreational ocean going vessels outside of coastal waters (most boats docked in Tokyo Bay are under 30', I have seen one catamaran in Japan at four marinas visited now). This means going abroad. Buying blind is not an option. It's likely to take several trips. The few in person interactions you have with a builder (starting with test sailing) spaced out over the build cycle while being much more expensive overall is much easier to manage.

This is why people are willing to spend 2-3x as much mooring recreational boats in the Port of Yokohama region over the Port of Tokyo region. It's 4-5 hours out of the back of the bay to the ocean. So people pay twice as much to store their boat an hour or more away from home to save three hours.

Japan.

The rational side of my brain agrees with you but the reasonable side can't make the math work.
windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 20:07   #19

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

There was a guy living in Japan with a Leopard 46 he was trying to sell to upgrade to a Schonning a short while back.

Try searching the Leopard threads and you might find him if he hasn't sold.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote