Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2012, 15:46   #16

Boat: PSC Flicka 20
Re: Less boat

My girlfriend and I sailed a 20 foot PSC Flicka 1200 miles from LA to La Paz last winter.

The boat was insured for liability only (required in Mexican waters) I could afford to lose her, though obviously made sure that didn't happen.

We lived aboard and cruised her for 6 months. We are glad we did it, but wouldn't do it again on such a small boat. Not because of safety - Flicka's are quite well-found and easy to manage, even in gale force winds - but because of domestic tranquility and comfort.

I'm also older - 48, and developed some very painful muscle and joint problems related to managing the boat, and her cramped quarters. You cannot ever really stretch out. It was like living in a space capsule with two people constantly banging into each other.

For someone younger - like in their 20ies, it would be fine. Notice how the Pardeys moved up in size as the aged...

We now live aboard and day-sail a Catalina 30 in Los Angeles. What a difference.

But I'd still rather be in that little Flicka in a Gale...
Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:48   #17

Boat: SeaWind 850

Thanks seaworthy lass and jrambo. Yes, all internal work is completed, except: manual anchor winch will be changed for electrc and probably aditional battery bunk under. Heard it somwere: "Old boats are as sime as young wifes, allways there is something to do"
My boat got only 3-rd party and 1mil liability for $255AD yearly. I'd rejected option
of tousend $ full cover because I rather spend this money to make sure that my boat is in best condition ( 6 years X $6K = 1/3 of boat price). Probably cost of all work and equipment I had done is sime or even more than I'd pay for her, but true love is priceless.

"Never yet, things were so bad that it could not be any worse".
cszosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 15:58   #18

Boat: Finnsailer 38

A friend of mine who designed, built, and sailed his own very small and simple boats always said that you should never own a boat you can't afford to lose and walk away from. He crossed the Atlantic both ways numerous times, and had his share of adventures, but never lost one.
Old 29-11-2012, 17:07   #19

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

That doesn't surprise me. If you fit out with the idea you aren't going to insure losing it, you don't tend to lose it.

Imagine if drivers could only carry liability. Every one would drive like old ladies on Sunday.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 17:10   #20

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
That doesn't surprise me. If you fit out with the idea you aren't going to insure losing it, you don't tend to lose it.

Imagine if drivers could only carry liability. Every one would drive like old ladies on Sunday.
You can carry just liability if you don't have a loan. Furthermore, a goodly number of accidents involve uninsured drivers. There is no evidence that insurance makes people irresponsible.
Old 29-11-2012, 17:28   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrambo316 View Post
Odd question. Anyone buy less boat than they want and can afford out of concern that the insurance would not pay up if she sunk?

I agree - this is the oddest queston I have ever seen.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 18:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post

I agree - this is the oddest queston I have ever seen.
I like to factor in how I would respond to worst case scenarios into my decision making.
jrambo316 is offline   Reply With Quote