Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2016, 07:32   #1

Leopard from Moorings

Hey folks,
This is not a should I buy a Leopard cat from Moorings, we are 95% sure that is the way we are leaning. The questions are for anyone that has purchased a boat from Moorings.
How does it work?
Were you happy with the phase out process?
Anything to look out for?
Would you do it again?

They have one we are interested in. We would close in Sept and actually get the boat after the phase out in Nov.

Thanks
C
gcaskew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 09:54   #2

Boat: jeanneau 39i
Re: Leopard from Moorings

Ihave purchased two boat from Sunsail/Moorings . First, a Jeanneau SO45 from Sunsail in 2003. Everything went as planned and everyone was great to work with. Second boat was from Moorings in Ft Lauderdale. This was a Jeanneau SO 39i from the base in Bahamas. Worked with Patrick O Reilly. Everything worked as promise and on time. I would buy a boat from them anytime. Be sure to go see the boat and get an agreement as to what might need repaired and get in writing what they plan to do to the boat when it is taken out of charter. If you have any questions write me at jtindle3@aol.com
jmtindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2016, 12:48   #3

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

I bought a powercat from Moorings Ft. Lauderdale exactly 1 year ago. I'd be happy to share my experience, which was generally very positive. As I've said before here, next time I would actually pay two different surveyors at $1000 each to make sure what one missed, the other might get. Great surveys are the best money you can spend for both before and after your purchase.
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 06:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtindle3 View Post
If you have any questions write me at jtindle3@aol.com
Please don't solicit conversations to be moved out of the forum. This goes against the intent and purpose of a forum. There are many other people who may be interested in this discussion, or are following along. Myself included.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 10:28   #5

I understand about postings but many times people have written me direct and to an e-mail address that I hardly use. Sorry about that
Old 23-07-2016, 19:44   #6

Boat: R & C Leopard 39 Cat
Send a message via Skype™ to Kiwidiver

I am also following this thread with interest. I am currently trying to buy a boat from Sunsail.

Price negotiations took a while but we finally had a deal that included a delivery date of the end of August and subject to the final surveyors report. So we signed the contract and paid our deposit.

Things have kind of gone down hill from there. I am not sure if this is a normal Sunsail / Moorings / Tui type of problem or if our experience is unique.

According to Sunsail they have an internal paperwork problem that prevents them from starting the Phase Out until October. And apparently the boat will be used until that time.

They still have the boat advertised for sale on the Sunsail Brokerage site with an availability date of June 2016

I am kind of caught between the rock and a hard place as we do want this boat however cant wait until November as we have charters already booked for October so now may have to find another boat. We also dont really like the idea of the boat being used after we have put a deposit down on it.

I'll post a follow up if we manage to get somewhere with Sunsail or if we end up buying something different.

Good Luck
Kiwidiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 15:01   #7

My first charter boat I bought was from Sunsail when it had a base in Martinique. I had a similar problem but the reverse. I bought it in October but still had a boat in Mexico. I could not take delivery till the next May. The boat was kept in charter and I felt that they would deliver the boat in the same condition as if I took delivery earlier. They stood by the agreement and sold me a boat in the condition I expected. If you have put down a large deposit I would suggest the refund some of the money as they will be using the boat longer than first planned. On a $120,ooocost boat I put $5000as a deposit. This was in 2002 Are you dealing with the Moorings in Florida. I dealt with Patrick O'reilly. He is a man of his word 2Years ago I bought my second boat from Mooring/Sunsail

Tags
leopard, mooring