Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2008, 19:32   #1

Jellyfish

You many of you see jellyfish out while you are cruising. They are a nuisence here on the Gulf Coast during the summer months. I am thinking of ways to harvest them to make money. You know, like jelly rolls or jellyfish salad, etc.
hatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 22:08   #2

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
You many of you see jellyfish out while you are cruising. They are a nuisence here on the Gulf Coast during the summer months. I am thinking of ways to harvest them to make money. You know, like jelly rolls or jellyfish salad, etc.
The Gulf Coast has the most jellyfish that I've seen anywhere in the world FWIW.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 00:20   #3

The lakes here (Gippsland Lakes) have had massive infestations in the past. It can apparently be a sign of a degraded eco system. BBC NEWS | Europe | Mediterranean on jellyfish alert
Huge swarms of stinging jellyfish should ring alarm bells
They pose a very real problem and may be just one more reminder that we need to get our ecological act together........(particulaly if you like to eat fish)...
AquaNews - The Vancouver Aquarium's Aquatic Environmental News Network
Sadly I could post many, many articles of the kind of the previous three.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Jellyfish for lunch? It's no joke, says scientist ~ By Robert McClure
... He said he recently was served some jellyfish in Thailand -- "kind of crispy, a noodlelike thing," said Pauly*, who in November was chosen by Scientific American as one of the top 50 fisheries scientists in the world. ...”
* Daniel Pauly, fisheries researcher, of the University of British Columbia
Goto: Jellyfish for lunch? It's no joke, says scientist

See also the "Food Reference"
"... For over a thousand years, Asians have been eating jellyfish for medicinal reasons..."
Goto:
Cannonball Jellyfish - Fish and Seafood

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 04:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
The Gulf Coast has the most jellyfish that I've seen anywhere in the world FWIW.
We can grow a pretty good crop here. when the water gets to over 80 degrees F they get thick enough to walk on
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:23   #6

Thank goodness they aren't the nasty little box jellyfish that kills folks off the Australian coast.. And to think growing up on the Texas coast I thought Portuguese Man of War were bad. I had no idea there could be such a deadly almost invisible jellyfish!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:41   #7

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
Quote:
I am thinking of ways to harvest them to make money.
Talk to Spongebob Squarepants--he's a jellyfish aficionado and is quite adept at catching them.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:27   #8

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I always wonder what makes those clear ones go......? They seem to have very little parts and constantly pump in and out. They are amazing. I wonder it a pile of them could be connected to a generator?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:56   #9

LOL - a kind of jellyfish "matrix"
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:39   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Jellyfish are the sea's natural filters. In confined water ways (like our sounds) they are one of the main contributing factors of water clarity. They simply filter all the fine "murk" out of the water.
Here (in the marlborough sounds) there are times when you can't see the water for the Jellyfish. Well, OK, exageration, but you get the gist. We are very fortunate that the clear ones we have here don't sting at all. You can pick them up even. But on our coastal beaches, we ahve a nasty little one called the "Bluebottle". Not deadly, but very painful.
I thought the Man'o'war was the most deadliest? so is it the box jellyfish?

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:15   #11

I prefer chocolate fish instead of jelly fish myself .

{Sorry, it may be that only NZ'ers understand .}
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 13:21   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Can't just jump in the water...

In North Qld. you cannot just jump in the water if you want a swim.

In the Australian summer from November to April or May, box jellyfish are abundant in the warm waters of northern Australia and drive away most swimmers. However, they generally disappear during the Australian Winter.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 13:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Jellyfish are the sea's natural filters. In confined water ways (like our sounds) they are one of the main contributing factors of water clarity. They simply filter all the fine "murk" out of the water.
Here (in the marlborough sounds) there are times when you can't see the water for the Jellyfish. Well, OK, exageration, but you get the gist. We are very fortunate that the clear ones we have here don't sting at all. You can pick them up even. But on our coastal beaches, we ahve a nasty little one called the "Bluebottle". Not deadly, but very painful.
I thought the Man'o'war was the most deadliest? so is it the box jellyfish?
Apparently so Alan. Seems the box jelly kills several folks a year off Australia's coast...I've been tangles in Man O war tenticles and it was painful.. Had to pee all over my legs to ease the pain.. Good thing it was my leg!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 14:33   #14

Like most things in Australia we have one of the most dangerous jelly fish in the world. The Irganji, can cause extreme pain, loss of consiousness , collapse and death. You will see signs on the beaches of northern Australia saying "Beware of stingers". (The comedian Billy Connoly did a famous sketch about these signs "what the I&^$%$# are stingers?" )Stinger nets are in place to allow swimming in some areas. Oh and beware of the crocodiles, they like to eat humans too ! They particularly like blokes who have spent to many hours in a tinny in the company of a couple of slabs of beer and foreign tourists who have to have a swim in the beautiful water hole.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 15:47   #15

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
To answer the original question, you can see a fair number of jellies out in the deep blue. Portuguese man-of-wars are a rarer find, but when you see one, you'll see a herd - they are poisonous, but not deadly. As far as I know, everything in Australia is poisonous so it stands to reason the box jelly can kill. They're huge and scary-looking so not so hard to avoid; the blue-ring octupus on the other hand...
I've eaten cold jellyfish salad - it was chewy, and had little flavour, but was not unpleasant. Downside to eating in a country where you don't speak the language
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote