Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-01-2016, 21:51   #31
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.
Re: Is it possible to live aboard a sailboat as a fresh out of college professional?

In all of life there is the ideal and the real.
Choose the adventure, and at the worst, you'll have stories you can dine on for the rest of life. ;-)

Old 07-01-2016, 00:34   #32

Boat: Jim Young Rocket 31
Re: Is it possible to live aboard a sailboat as a fresh out of college professional?

Buy something cheap (but not too nasty).
Do NOT finance - paying for maintenance and upgrades while paying off a debt on the boat would be a nightmare.
Seriously, just keep it as simple as possible.

One option would be to ask around and put up a notice at a marina re: renting.
They probably will not let you sail it, but it gets you into the marina, looking at boats and saving for your own boat.

If you can get even 5-10K together, you will find something that is okay.
Buy small - I lived for a short time on 23' with 2 kids - not fun, but would have been totally doable if I did not have the kids. Even now I live on 31' with a 11yo and 14yo, and its okay.

Do it!

Old 07-01-2016, 09:29   #33

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
No. You will smell like old diesel fuel mixed with mildew. So much for promotions. Secondly, houses appreciate over time, boats depreciate. So go get yourself a mortgage and then save for a boat.
I think you summed it up. real property is about all that appreciates. I put boats in the category with other nice to have items. If you can't pay cash you don't need it. It make no sense to pay interest on something depreciating. JMHO
Old 07-01-2016, 09:49   #34

Boat: bristol 27

I got my boat for $1000 6 years ago in san francisco. Also was offered a sadler 32 for free. It had 7 sails and the boat was working but had lots of small jobs to do. I didn't take it because it would be more troublesome to sail a larger boat.
Old 09-02-2016, 14:25   #35

Boat: Trewes 1A

You can do it! Honestly!
Just keep in mind (as pointed out before that you will need to take care of your professional wardrobe and other tools for your trade. Laundry can be done on the shore, including the ironing...
For acquiring a boat, I have an idea; contact a few marinas and ask them if they have some derelict vessels lying around. In my experience (in Yurp) there are quite a few harbormasters that have a few on the dry. The owners are behind paying, not responding to calls, having the vessel shredded will cost them even more and so they are happy to get rid of it (YMMV).
Check out "hold fast" and S/Y Pestilence on youtube!

Take a week off to give it a good scrub inside and out. Dont forget the outside! Most of the marinas don't allow liveaboards de jure, but de facto they are not that reluctant (you are after all a paying customer that just wants to make use of her property a lot). BUT... if the ship is green and gross you will be certain not to be accepted.
Throw out the old mattresses and cushions (they are usually rank and smell awful) and replace them. Within a week and a couple of bottles of detergent you will have a splendid (or at least clean) place to live. The rest is up to you.
Once it is in good shape, find a marina and be frank about your ambitions. I would give you a 50/50 chance that they will allow you to pursue your dream. If not... Option #2

Go and find a dockside in an industrious area. Perhaps not your first choice... but hey.. there is a dream to pursue here! Find one with an empty storehouse or something and retrieve the owner. Ask the owner if he/she also owns the dockside and if they would mind you docking there. Keeping an eye out and all...
No shore power, no fresh water, no lockers, but you will find a way around that. (get boxing lessons and shower there if you need to ) Also check out the red tape regarding that stretch of water. You should stay within the law of course. Perhaps not really what you had in mind, but it will save you the docking fee$ of a marina as well.

Third option. If # 2 failed. After you have looked at the rules and regulations there you also should know where and how long you can stay moored somewhere at a public mooring or such. Usually there are places you can stay for 36 hours straight. You could use that as well. Just get out on time to get to the new one and go back and forth. (stay within the law remember)
See if there are places where commercial boats are allowed to moor for prolonged periods of time. Usually these are in use for freighters that need to abandon the ship for a while (holidays, family business) Then start a business (consultancy business on CO2-neutral boating?) and register the ship as part of your business and voila you now own a commercial boat that can moor with the big guys! Sell off your CO2 emission rights and earn some extra $! Dont ask me how to do that, you are the CO2 consultant here remember...
(YMMV, depending on tax/red tape/rules/regulations/whatnot)
After one or two years you can buy a better boat if you need to.

Anyway, yes it is possible, very well possible and a very good idea as well! I am planning to do the same (liveaboard now) as you. So I looked into all my possibilities. These are a few of the ones I thought of. It all depends on the sacrifices you are willing to take. But IMHO, if you are not capable of living aboard like options # 2&3, how are you going to manage once cruising and things go tits up? After all; it is only an adventure when things start to go wrong...
GO FOR IT ! !
Old 09-02-2016, 14:52   #36

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

As a young professional, you will be putting in long hours trying to establish yourself. That need not conflict with living aboard but will be harder then living in a studio apartment. You might save some money but you will have to devote time and money to maintaining your new home.
Remember, low priced boats are not well set up for storing suites and dressing professional (no big mirrors, tiny showers with limited or no hot water, etc.). Small galleys means frequent shopping trips due to limited food storage.
I think you would be much better off starting out in a small apartment.
Old 09-02-2016, 15:35   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
As a young professional, you will be putting in long hours trying to establish yourself. That need not conflict with living aboard but will be harder then living in a studio apartment. You might save some money but you will have to devote time and money to maintaining your new home.
Remember, low priced boats are not well set up for storing suites and dressing professional (no big mirrors, tiny showers with limited or no hot water, etc.). Small galleys means frequent shopping trips due to limited food storage.
I think you would be much better off starting out in a small apartment.
Ditto! Why do young people think living aboard is cheap. A great thing for well established people with a few bucks in the bank. Today a young professional just out of college, whatever that means, it would probably be the worst move.
Old 09-02-2016, 17:27   #38

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

There are many great comments and even a few that lean against it. Their comments are valid HOWEVER this doesn't mean you can't do it. I've done it and wore suits every day. Take any comments that bring up issues and just find a way around those issues. These are not problems but potential solutions. Even when I didn't live on a boat I often had several suits and many shirts in my office. Summer in NYC is generally unpleasant; hot and muggy. I had a gym very close (for a year and a half it was right across the street!) and usually went to the gym, sometimes several times a day, then dressed in my office. This is but one way of doing it. Having suits in the office also solved space issues in my apartment and later my boat.

There are many other ways of making it happen. Earlier there was a comment about keeping your boat in good shape. That is very important. No one likes a sloppy neighbour. Keep your boat in good form, be polite, and don't make noise and everyone will by less likely to give you grief about what you are doing.

What ever you do, I wish you success.

Tags
sail, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: