Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 07:37   #121

Boat: Catalina 310
Re: Is it possible to live aboard a boat with no money (no income)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I guess following the discussion and responding to others comments is now considered a bad thing by our self appointed "stay on topic" police. Thanks but no thank.
Please tell me which one of these responses you made are at all helpful to the OP.

Quote:
Ah...hello....yes they do and there are plenty of them sucking the Tit of mama government, no one is turned away, especially here in California.
Quote:
Tell that to the bums I know getting more Welfare than it costs me to Cruise Mexico on per month and they share stories and tips on how to work the system.
Quote:
The wagon trains that headed West should have stayed home....too risky.
I'll give you this one.

Quote:
People love this 10% number per year for maintenance on a boat....but having owned a 36fter and now a 50fter with dramatically different costs/values...I find that the 10% number is like asking how much does it cost to Cruise. It matters on much more than one simple thing like the value/price of your boat.
Old 26-02-2015, 07:47   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
I guess following the discussion and responding to others comments is now considered a bad thing by our self appointed "stay on topic" police. Thanks but no thank.
LOL
To be fair Rich, the topic did turn into a moralising dissertation of one sort or another.

Back to topic.....

A 24 year old kid with money, writing in a non articulate manner, perhaps not at first glance very clear, but..... taking into account everything he said, it was not a kid wanting to live without working. He just wanted to know if he could leave his boat somewhere for free for months as he went to work, and costs involved in having a vessel. Sometimes in reading it takes a while to get the gist of what is being asked. I could do a rant about the school teaching system but.........

As for the future, his life, his choice. He didnt ask for suggestions about a career or a lecture from Ron about being a welfare scrounger.... he is 24 and not settled into anything yet........who knows he might write an app or two and make hundreds of thousands, go figure. He did not say what he does for work. He may be a graduate of something. He may have a niche skillset. HE NEVER SAID because it wasnt pertinent to his question. BUt he does have 24K so is capable of earning money. I wonder how many on here can lay their hands on $24K to do with it what they wish?

Its not my life or my choice to make, Ive made my own and circumstances dictated some courses of action which I didnt want to take but thats how the cards fall.

With our collective wealth of knowledge, and some who live in Florida with their specific knowledge, we could have answered him supportively simply because with or without our approval or permission, the OP is going to make his own choice regardless......Ive been out of Florida 3 years and I didnt live in his area so couldnt answer him.

There is a TV program in the UK called Grumpy old men.
I laugh at myself when I see it.
I love it...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 07:47   #123
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Ha ha ha....
And your rants about another poster...taking the time and space to loom up some posts helps how? Bro...if you don't like some people's comments put them on ignore and you won't have to read them. Otherwise put you student yard duty whistle away and chill out. I could quote my other comments that were right on topic, but who cares? Certainly not the original poster who didnt come back despite page after page of good ontopic comments....Hello...McFly...

What you don't understand is that the OP was a set-up....he wasn't real...he's gone. Its another how much does it cost to cruise thread, or another anchor thread, or another is a hunter a blue water boat thread and taking those off topic is the only thing they are good for in all honesty.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 08:48   #124

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
There is a TV program in the UK called Grumpy old men.
I laugh at myself when I see it.
Thanks weavis. Just watched the first episode. Love it. Bang on.

... Scary that I see myself in a lot of the examples
Old 26-02-2015, 09:11   #125

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

"Is it possible to live aboard a boat with no money (no income)?"
Old 26-02-2015, 09:28   #126

I assume you're trying to show the dangers of only reading the headline Nimble, and not actually reading the whole message. If you read his initial post, he clearly states he has money, and plans to have an income:

"I'll have ~$25,000 saved up. I'm looking to spend ~$15,000 to ~$19,000 on the boat. So, I'll have ~$7,000-$9,000 left to help me get started. So, after all the intro fees I should have at the very least $3,000.
I'd plan on working the winter months, then live off that money all summer."
Old 26-02-2015, 09:38   #127
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mike...
It's called a "Drive By Post".
You sign up a new account, post a topic you know will be hot and dramatic in your subject line, and then sit back and watch and have fun as people debate and comment. It happens all the time in the internet. As a moderator on other internet sites, sometimes the same poster (by viewing the IP Address) even argues and attacked himself with different Log-In ID...why....well who the heck knows, its the internet! But I'm sure Obama's take over of the Internet will make it all better...(there how's that for an off topic fling)
Old 26-02-2015, 09:43   #128

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I'm waiting for the thread title, "Obama bans AR 15 ammunition".
It's happening.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 09:46   #129
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Na...can't be.
We were told those sounding the alarm about it months ago were Tea Party Wack jobs....opps....kinda like Glenn Beck calling out the goal of the Caliphate 2yrs before the Main Stream Media realized it was happening.

Now how can I live on my boat and get Free AR-15 Ammunition?
Old 26-02-2015, 10:05   #130
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"BUt he does have 24K so is capable of earning money."
Not necessarily. It could be earned, or it could be a windfall. The remains of a lottery or legal settlement, an inheritance, any number of one-time one-shot events.
Or it could be money earned by a college student who had minimal expenses for four years, and great income from selling illicit substances before he decided it was too risky to keep doing that afterwards. (Not accusing, just saying there are many un-obvious reasons that one may have money and not having an ongoing income.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:15   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Not to make anyone jealous or anything..... I can still fit into the socks I wore at college....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:28   #132

Boat: Beneteau 393

Sorry, I'm a little slow, so I'm still back on the 10%/year maintenance costs. I think that's a little high.

We purchased a Beneteau 331 new in 2003 for about $100K, sold her in 2013 and bought a 2003 Beneteau 393.

To put my expenses into context, we sail on Mark Twain Lake near Hannibal, MO, almost every weekend mid-March through October.

I did a quick scan of our accounting and found about $5,000 in maintenance and repairs in 10 years from 2003-2013. I do all maintenance except sails, so most costs are just materials. Costs include yearly oil and fuel filter change, diesel value adjustment (one time expense), multiple head rebuild kits, batteries, Sailcare to clean and repair jib ($1,000), new Magma Grill, dock lines, replace windmeter, RF main in-haul line, bottom paint twice ($1,500), wax and cleaning supplies.

In 10 years, the sail repair and bottom paint are the only major expenses.

We bought the B393 in June 2013. Since that time we have replaced Magma Grill ($200), propane solenoid ($120), stern shower head ($50), rebuilt both heads ($120), replaced several dock lines ($200), RF main in-haul and jib furling line ($400), new stereo radio ($100), changed the oil twice ($50), Sailcare clean and repair jib ($1,400) and wax/cleaning supplies ($30) --- about $2,600.

Bottom line, we spent about 0.5%/year on our B331 and about 2% for the B393.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:44   #133
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Onto the advising the kid.
I explained to him how cheap you could get a slip where he was looking, that maybe a slip is better in the long run than anchoring out and that preparing a boat to anchor out has expenses associated with it too.
Even had one member offer to sell him a boat or rent him a slip for $200.
Then yes the thread drifted as they always do, and drifted further when it seemed the kid wasn't coming back.
If we "scared" him off, then he ain't gonna make it, cause I didn't see anything scary in this thread.

What I got out of his little participation wasn't that he wanted a Vagabond life, or loved to cruise or romanticized about sailing or travelling.

I got two things

1. How cheap can I live on a boat?
2. Can I really leave a boat on a free mooring?

Number two set my alarm off, it was why I asked a couple of times for him to define what he meant by "leave" the boat. There are too many boats in Florida that people have "left", do we need or want more?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:52   #134

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

I have to question the assumption that this young man will end up on welfare. I can admit that I didn't have $25,000 saved at age 24 and did live on almost nothing while sailing the South Pacific. It taught me more than any money I would have earned in that period and most of all, taught me that money clearly isn't everything. ( Oh, btw, never had to resort to welfare and am quite comfortable in my retirement sailing my boat).
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:54   #135

Quote:
Mike...
It's called a "Drive By Post".
You sign up a new account, post a topic you know will be hot and dramatic in your subject line, and then sit back and watch and have fun as people debate and comment. It happens all the time in the internet. ...
Could be Third. Or it could be someone who is exploring ways forward in life. Without an IP analysis we can't say. Either way though, the discussion is a worthy one. I view most of these threads as valuable, not just to the OP, but to others who might be pondering the same questions.

Tags
income, money