Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2015, 09:19   #31

Boat: Tartan 34C
Re: Is it possible to live aboard a boat with no money (no income)?

Yes, it is possible to do this. Check this blog out of this guy doing just that: Art Of Hookie
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 09:27   #32

Boat: Endeavour 32

Its obvious you plan on working. I would find a cheep slip in a hole in the wall marina and not try and live off the hook. You will be more comfortable hopefully with electricity and water.
I have a friend in my marina, Bill, who spent winters in the Sea of Cortez and worked the summer tourist season in Catalina Island, CA. He made friends with a marina manager in Mexico and would leave the boat at his marina when he left for the states.
In my marina here in Ca. there are guys doing just what you want to do. Working part time and sailing. Living off the land is hard work and boats don't have a lot of room to grow fruits and vegetables, and I haven't found where cheeseburgers hide when spearfishing. Things break on boats and need to be fixed which requires money. Rule of thumb the bigger the boat the bigger the expense.
Below are two samples of what is out there as far as boats that are inexpensive. It is a buyers market right now but be carful I'm sure there are hurricane damaged boats for sell in your part of the world.
There are lots of opinions on this site some good some not so much. Most any maintained boat can island hop in the Caribbean but not be comfortable to cross from Long Beach to Hawaii.
You don't have anything to lose but some money so why not try

Sailboat 1984 Catalina 30TR
Ericson 27 sloop sailboat
Compactorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 10:26   #33
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

This isn't the "Live for Free" concept, but as I sit here working from the boat (IE no office expense) on the mooring that costs me a $79/mo live aboard fee (+$250/Mo if we were renting mooring, but we own so it's "free") I'm looking up at the $1 to $3 million dollar homes looking down on me.

My wife and I were talking last week that we could by a $350K huge comfortable Cat and park it on this mooring and live like royalty for a fraction of the million dollar homes looking out at me in the bay.

Living on a boat, high end or low end, is a lot cheaper than living ashore....but lets tell people it sucks and isn't fun so there will be less of us...ha ha ha
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 11:10   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I guess there's no cause for me to answer, "No, it is not possible to live aboard a boat with no money or income!", because in post #1 you say that you'll have $25,000 and seasonal employment.

The slip at the inexpensive marina allows for easier maintenance, job commute and community support for a new boat owner who decides to live aboard compared to what first appears as a financial gain by anchoring out.

The marina slip will cost less than owning and maintaining a car. So, consider the slip with a bicycle or motor-scooter.
Old 24-02-2015, 11:27   #35

Boat: Vancouver 27

This website might help you: Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

Good list of strong, old, cheap, and capable boats. Unless something really grabs you, the exact boat is not so important. Know what you're getting into and get something you can feel good about putting a lot of sweat equity into. And as others have said, save a good chunk of change for post-purchase. The most expensive boats are often the one's with the cheapest asking price. Above all, don't be a derelict boat owner! Pay it forward for those following in your wake.

I started doing website dev when I was 25 after going cruising with some friends. No technical background, just fell in love with the lifestyle and set out to make it happen permanently. Lots of ways to make it work, especially in an increasingly mobile/remote workforce.

In my experience, it's high highs and low lows but always worth it.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 11:37   #36

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I did this when I was 21. I had a 24 foot boat anchored out and paddled in and out in my kayak. At 21 it was fun. After a while a friend helped me get a slip, and a better job. That was better. I could still anchor out if I wanted to, but it is just way more liveable to have a slip. And with the better job and slip I was able to do more refitting on the boat. There are many really good boats for less than you have set aside. Go for the good job and the slip.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 12:29   #37

Don't let anyone talk you out of your dream. I'm old and followed mine. You can too.
I'd be willing to pay more for a sound boat than a fixer-upper...but that's just me.

Personally I'd go the marina route. It would be an odd marina that wasn't willing to trade some work for a slip. You might not like the work, but there's no better way to meet people and that turns out to be the most important thing of all.

Keep a notebook of the folks you meet and contact them all once a year or so. Don't let anyone get away.....there's nothing more valuable than the people you share life with.
Roger L.
Roger L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 12:48   #38

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJeepx View Post
Well, let me reword. I'm a 24 year old male. I've been saving money up to liveaboard a sailboat. In ~7 months I'll be in the position to make everything happen. But, as of now I'm trying to plan everything out and attempt to make this dream actually workout.

Now, Where I'm stumped is about money. I'll have ~$25,000 saved up. I'm looking to spend ~$15,000 to ~$19,000 on the boat. So, I'll have ~$7,000-$9,000 left to help me get started. So, after all the intro fees I should have at the very least $3,000.

My main worry is where the H do I leave my boat? I'm looking at living near the pan handle of Florida (the northern part banking the Gulf of Mexico). Is there mooring available? Is that free? Can I just anchor my boat anywhere I want and dinghy to a dock?

I'd plan on working the winter months, then live off that money all summer.

I guess what I'm looking for is someone to tell me it's truly possible. I've read all the threads about this here, and I keep seeing responses to people with large retirment incomes, steady jobs, etc. I want to truly live free and make this happen for years to come. I want to "live off the land".

Anyone?
Sorry, wake up. What is your education or do you have a trade, that is marketable? Working the winter months and playing all summer. What do you expect to have at 60 or 70? I believe that life style went out with being a Hippy. Get an education or a good job and then live in a marina.. Don't believe I would want to leave my unattended boat on the hook all winter?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 12:53   #39

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger L View Post
... Don't let anyone get away.....there's nothing more valuable than the people you share life with.
Roger L.

Welcome aboard, Roger. Excellent first post!
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 13:14   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sorry, wake up. What is your education or do you have a trade, that is marketable? Working the winter months and playing all summer. What do you expect to have at 60 or 70? I believe that life style went out with being a Hippy. Get an education or a good job and then live in a marina.. Don't believe I would want to leave my unattended boat on the hook all winter?
If he doesn't have a trade I can suggest one that might work with his life style, that can result in a rewarding career. Merchant Seaman. There are plenty of them, many with only a high school education making $50-$100/year for seasonal work. I'm sure there are many other professions that could work, I only suggest this one because I'm familiar with it.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 13:19   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
So you are 24 years old and your life's ambition is to be a hobo?

While this sounds like fun at your age, what are your plans for later in life? Do you plan on living past 60 or 70 years old and how do you plan to feed and cloth yourself? What about medical expenses?

At your age you have the opportunity to build a foundation so you will be free to do whatever you want when you get older and not have to worry about where your next meal is coming from. And remember, that boat you are saving up for won't last forever.

But id it's your life's ambition, yes you can anchor your boat in many places and dinghy to a dock.
I think OP's life ambition is to live life, rather than suffer the fate of the vast majority, looking back to think 'if only...'. Pessimism is an insane waste of our one life.
'Realism!', the pessimists shout - "Being realistic is the most commonly traveled path to mediocrity", Will Smith put it.
Everything works out in the end, so go live the dream because you have the mindset to do it. It's good to see there are some great replies on this thread, with support and relevant advice, not just the nay-sayers and tomato-hurlers.

Have you considered chartering as an income? A floating B&B with an ever-changing sea view and swimming pool...
WildWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 13:27   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
If he doesn't have a trade I can suggest one that might work with his life style, that can result in a rewarding career. Merchant Seaman. There are plenty of them, many with only a high school education making $50-$100/year for seasonal work. I'm sure there are many other professions that could work, I only suggest this one because I'm familiar with it.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
It has noting to do with his intent or dream?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 13:55   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
It has noting to do with his intent or dream?
No? I reread it. He said he wanted to work seasonally. I suggested a good seasonal job. I have no idea, maybe he already has a trade. I know I didn't have $25000 saved up at 24. I was just trying to be helpful, other people are brainstorming about part time work in marinas, I'm just suggesting there is seasonal work where you can do a little (insert A LOT) better than yard work at a marina.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 14:22   #44

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWill View Post
I think OP's life ambition is to live life, rather than suffer the fate of the vast majority, looking back to think 'if only...'. ......... .
That may be his ambition, but the result will likely be that at age 50 or 60 he will be destitute with no insurance or pension. When he can no longer live on his 50 year old boat he will be living in a refrigerator box or sleeping on a park bench.

Dreams are great but we only get to go around once in life and we need to consider reality along with our dreams.
Old 24-02-2015, 15:10   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd bet he would do it for awhile and like most of us wake up one day and realize you eventually have to make a living.
At that age, I drag raced motorcycles professionally. Was pretty good actually, very good. But met a Girl, fell in love and wanted to get married and realized I had to make a living for her.
I ended up doing OK, I bet he will too. Might just learn some real important lessons as well.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
income, money