Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 11:04   #136

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Is it possible to live aboard a boat with no money (no income)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Luckily for me, I have no major health issues, other then to work as little as possible. While I live on about $6k now, there were a whole bunch of years, making 70K-105k and a heck of a lot went to taxes. I am less then 3 years to 62 when I hope to get back some of the money I put into SS and medicare for 30+ years.

Thing is I hope to save a part of SS each month as its over twice what I'm living on now. Should I actually make it to a point where I would have to move ashore, well, I'll cross that bridge with a walker when it gets here.

Till then its fun days sailing.
I was going to PM you but couldn't fine the way.

I don't believe it is 62 any longer? You may also want the check with SS on the required quarters and when. I feel sure they can give you info. I hadn't paid attention to since 62 is long gone. To you for me.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 11:29   #137
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I'm 54 and can collect SS at 62.
Old 26-02-2015, 11:31   #138

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I don't imagine that you say, "most of these people" with any actual data. I moved aboard in debt at 23 and spent 32 years working 52% of the days of each year. I retired comfortably at 55 thirteen years ago and remain living on about half of my available income. Neither myself, my children, grandchild, or nephew that live on other boats have any signs of mental illness. We choose to live without ownership of a car or any other items not on our boat, shopping by bicycle and dinghy most of the time.

We do sometimes rent a car and we travel worldwide on some of our discrectionable income. A great number of liveaboards are very much like ourselves.

Sure, I recognize the people you speak of who are not successful as liveaboards. They usually don't last long because it's easier to be not successful living ashore. These people are very visible by their condition and the condition of their boats, but they are not the typical liveaboards who you woud not likely notice.
Would your answer have been the same if you had taken that sentence in context?

Quote:
It's certainly possible to live on a cheap boat (in a warm climate) with little or no income, just as it's possible to live on land in the park or under a bridge. I'm just surprised that a young person would want to.

Most of these people are living this way because they are mentally ill and can't get or keep a job. They didn't intend to live their lives this way.
emphasis added.
Old 26-02-2015, 11:38   #139
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Except for living on charity it isn't possible to live at all without money (money being ANYTHING someone else will accept in exchange for something else)
Old 26-02-2015, 11:55   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've met one or two way up North when I was travelling that really do come very close to living off the land and while cash may not often change hands, they do barter and sell some skins and gold from time to time.
That is the closest I have ever seen to living without "money"
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:05   #141
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

emphasis added.

At first when I saw what you had said, I thought, "oh, he talking about the poor homeless" and yes I think often they are mentally ill. Mentally ill does not imply deranged or dangerous, I mean no disrespect, but at least some homeless people do not chose to be homeless, but due to mental illness they are.

Then I realized you were talking about people living on boats and I got offended.

Then I thought, wait a minute he's talking maybe about the same people that would be homeless in an Urban area, just somehow they got on a boat.
Just like maybe a homeless person living in an abandoned warehouse or similar.

It's real easy to be offended by your comment, I had to read it a time or two myself
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:16   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
At first when I saw what you had said, I thought, "oh, he talking about the poor homeless" and yes I think often they are mentally ill. Mentally ill does not imply deranged or dangerous, I mean no disrespect, but at least some homeless people do not chose to be homeless, but due to mental illness they are.

Then I realized you were talking about people living on boats and I got offended.

Then I thought, wait a minute he's talking maybe about the same people that would be homeless in an Urban area, just somehow they got on a boat.
Just like maybe a homeless person living in an abandoned warehouse or similar.

It's real easy to be offended by your comment, I had to read it a time or two myself
I have no idea how mentally ill got into this. A young guy seeing a dream that is not there at his means and research into the real costs. But that is just my deranged mind.
Old 26-02-2015, 12:21   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
emphasis added.
Ron, I'd like to respond to your question sincerely. Your context was linking living on a cheap boat in a warm climate with little or no income to living in a park or under a bridge.

This concerns me directly as I have nine members of my family that have lived on cheap boats in warm climates and some have had little or no income at times. They have all owned their homes and lived honorably without public assistance or infringement of public property.

Six of us are still living on three of these cheap boats and we remain law abiding, mentally healthy, tax paying and economically independant.

Certainly I'm aware of those that are less successful, but I would not characterrize their failures to be either the cause or the result of living aboard a boat.
Old 26-02-2015, 13:16   #144
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

It's all about a person's point of view.

From the view point of the multimillion dollar homes that look down on the Morro Bay Estuary and the boat where I live while waiting to get back to Mexico, I'm a Bum, Hobo, derelict, etc.

But from my view point of looking up at the multimillion dollar homes, all I can see are prisons and chains of debt and property taxes that let me rent, never truly own the house.

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 13:52   #145

Boat: Catalina 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
It's all about a person's point of view.

From the view point of the multimillion dollar homes that look down on the Morro Bay Estuary and the boat where I live while waiting to get back to Mexico, I'm a Bum, Hobo, derelict, etc.

But from my view point of looking up at the multimillion dollar homes, all I can see are prisons and chains of debt and property taxes that let me rent, never truly own the house.

We agree there.
Old 26-02-2015, 14:18   #146
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Florida especially has real problems with people anchoring out for indefinite periods of time. There are plenty of threads here covering this topic. Try a search on the topic. It's mostly that influential wealthy people with waterfront property do not want "unsightly" boats ruining their views.
As long as the boat can move and is on an anchor and not a mooring no city or county in Florida can pass a law that limits or prohibits boaters from anchoring outside a marked mooring area. Feel free to drop anchor and live for free. There are many people that live on boats and do not have jobs. They are true boat bums and usually don't know the first thing about sailing. Their boats don't move and are unsightly
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 14:59   #147

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Ron, I'd like to respond to your question sincerely. Your context was linking living on a cheap boat in a warm climate with little or no income to living in a park or under a bridge.

This concerns me directly as I have nine members of my family that have lived on cheap boats in warm climates and some have had little or no income at times. They have all owned their homes and lived honorably without public assistance or infringement of public property.

Six of us are still living on three of these cheap boats and we remain law abiding, mentally healthy, tax paying and economically independant.

Certainly I'm aware of those that are less successful, but I would not characterrize their failures to be either the cause or the result of living aboard a boat.
Thank you.

I was raised with a very strong work ethic. My grandfather and great grandfather were small farmers in rural areas back in the days before subsidies and other government programs. Back in the days when your work determined if your family ate or went hungry. Back in the days when you set aside money for the time when you could no longer work the fields.

My father inherited that work ethic and took a career path that afforded him a steady career with a path for advancement and good benefits.

He, of course, passed this work ethic on to my brothers and me. So now through hard work and smart financial planning, I own my home, vehicles and boats outright. My retirement income is as much or more than the salary I retired at.

Perhaps this background is why it seems so wrong to me for a person to ignore his potential and his future at the time when he should be building a foundation for his and potentially his family's life.

I have friends from my youth who fooled around and did "fun" things instead of starting a career. Most are still working (at age seventy and above) because they have to to make ends meet. I'm just trying to get the guy to look past the next few months.
Old 26-02-2015, 15:05   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Thank you.

I was raised with a very strong work ethic. My grandfather and great grandfather were small farmers in rural areas back in the days before subsidies and other government programs. Back in the days when your work determined if your family ate or went hungry. Back in the days when you set aside money for the time when you could no longer work the fields.

My father inherited that work ethic and took a career path that afforded him a steady career with a path for advancement and good benefits.

He, of course, passed this work ethic on to my brothers and me. So now through hard work and smart financial planning, I own my home, vehicles and boats outright. My retirement income is as much or more than the salary I retired at.

Perhaps this background is why it seems so wrong to me for a person to ignore his potential and his future at the time when he should be building a foundation for his and potentially his family's life.

I have friends from my youth who fooled around and did "fun" things instead of starting a career. Most are still working (at age seventy and above) because they have to to make ends meet. I'm just trying to get the guy to look past the next few months.
... and thank you, Ron. It seems we have the same work ethic. I just exercise mine aboard a cheap boat in a warm climate and spend far less than my income.
Old 26-02-2015, 15:11   #149
cruiser

As far as income goes, he can always make the odd dollar here and there scraping barnacles from other peoples boat bottoms. I made good money as a kid doing that in Miami.

Also in regards to maintenance and upgrades, one poster stated that without upgrades its not possible to retain the boats value. Well if you spent less than 50K on the boat and you are worrying about resale value then you are a slave to money and missing the point of living the good life of boating freedom. Buy the 50K boat and live on it for 10 years. If you get 20K for it after that 10 years you did well. These are boats, not houses. NOTHING except stocks and real estate goes up in value.
Crosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 16:19   #150

Damn, tired of I,I,I, my,my,my, I have, I did. It in most cases is about an opinion or advise to the OP. I have a pot to piss in but that has nothing to do with the opinion he might should give it a serious second look. Just advise, he can take it or leave it. No point in the sleeping under overpasses, he plans on some investment which I assume is significant to him. Last time a checked overpasses where free?

Tags
income, money