Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2016, 07:35   #16

Boat: lancer 36
Re: Is it a Dog-Eat-Dog world?

i searched far and wide to answer the question, "is it a dog eat dog world." nowhere in my investigation could i find a case of a dog eating another dog. however i did come across much evidence that suggests that it is a dog smells dog butt world.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 07:36   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I always make sure I have one experienced and trusted crew for deliveries. I am happy to pay their costs and a negotiated percentage. Its well worth it to have someone you can 100% rely on. Any green, or unknown crew are a potential liability and pay all there own costs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
At 3 AM when said crew is watchstanding and the boat gets laid down by a clear air squall hundreds of miles offshore, yes, you want to have someone who has had that happen before at the wheel.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 07:47   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Answer: No
Reason: Free Will
Modern Translation: Personal Responsibility
Old 20-05-2016, 08:08   #19

Questions:
  • I presume the hired skipper arranges the (paid or unpaid) help. I assume that makes the skipper liable for that crews' wellbeing, AND liable for any errors made by the crew?
  • Do skippers themselves carry insurance that would cover loss if it's lost while in the skipper's care and control?
  • In the mentioned case where the hired skipper laid off the crew then totalled the boat... who did pay off in that case?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 08:28   #20

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Questions:
  • I presume the hired skipper arranges the (paid or unpaid) help. I assume that makes the skipper liable for that crews' wellbeing, AND liable for any errors made by the crew?
  • Do skippers themselves carry insurance that would cover loss if it's lost while in the skipper's care and control?
  • In the mentioned case where the hired skipper laid off the crew then totalled the boat... who did pay off in that case?
1. The hired skipper hires his crews on the behalf of the owner. The owners pays.
2. I have never seen or heard any professional delivery captain carries their own professional liability insurance unless he has a legal entity. They rely on the owner's boat insurance. Obviously, it depends on what their contract said.
3. The above case, Sh*t out of luck for the boat owner and his insurance company. Of course, the owner or his insurance company can go after the delivery captain for misrepresentation.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:21   #21

I suspect you are being conned. A professional delivery firm has a paid crew, and any problems or issues during delivery falls on them. A pick up crew is ultimately your liability, no way around that. They can also claim failure to pay for all sorts of stuff. Its a risk. A lot of delivery folks are not legal businesses but Joe Sixpack and some friends or whomever that get to sail on your boat at your expense. Do not be fooled by a captain's rating. The "six pack" Coast Guard rating means little or nothing. So if you have a cheap boat, then go cheap and hope you do not get sued. If you have a decent boat then go with a real company that specializes in boat deliveries.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote