Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2015, 07:55   #31

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Is a 32' Sailboat Over-sized for a Beginner?

There are so many variables. However, IMHO, the Hunter 31 is a great choice. The Hunter 34 would be even better (both mid 80's models).

Its not just about length. These hunters have a really great layout with a big comfortable quarter berth. If you plan on ever having a girlfriend, better get the H34. Also you get a yanmar diesel, self tailing winches, forward sheeted main, bow roller, roller furling, origo stove, all standard equipment.

Yes, you have a lot to learn ahead of you. But jumping in with both feet can be a great way to get started. You aren't 12 years old, so getting a laser isn't really an option, and smaller boats will leave you wanting.

I expect money is a concern (price), but if it isn't, try the Hunter Legend 35.5 (1990-1995)...it has everything you want, and a really nice shower too. I had one a while back. I used to watch all the other boaters at my marina shuffling down the dock with their shower kits every morning going to the shore heads. Then I would have a nice long shower below (or on the stern). Luxury.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 08:48   #32

Boat: Taswell 49

My first boat was and still is a C&C 32. Admittedly, I had raced on a lot of boats prior to purchasing my own but I had not often helmed those boats. I bought my boat down in Chesapeake Bay (Solomon's Island) and sailed it up to Montreal, in Canada so I learned a lot in those first few weeks. It is definitely doable and you will both appreciate and enjoy the increased space, especially above your head, which will keep you enjoying sailing. Don't be afraid to start with the bigger boat. Just do as some have already suggested. Take it slow and easy and stay within your comfort zone which should always leave a little room to grow your skills. I have no problem sailing single handed, but having the bigger boat, you will always find people more than happy to join you for a sail. It is always fun to share your passion. Best of luck.
My Wind Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 08:53   #33

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

It takes me less than two hours to go from everything spread out for a project involving lots of tools to tidy, clean, and ready for guests, which is even cleaner than necessary for sailing.

As for "real sailing," last I checked, the whole point is "raising the rags and getting the boat to move." The monthly beer can race at our marina has several liveaboards participating, as well as day sailors on cruising boats. We took third last month.

As for the original question, the Catalina 34 is very popular at our marina for owners who use their boats regularly, including liveaboards. The C34's often constitute half the race fleet. There were also a handful of Hunter Legend 35.5's around for awhile.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 09:13   #34

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Racing my small hobie was nothing like sailing my cruiser.
You could learn basic handling in a few weekends with that size boat and a teacher.
Keep I. mind boats are easy to buy no so easy to sell most who suggests buy something small and work your way up probably hasn't sold their boat in a while if they have one.
Also keep in mind You might want to listen to people who actually own boats check there profile.
I used to live on my 41 and it took me about 2 minutes to get it ready to sail so if you don't junk your boat up you can sail it and live on it
The boat your looking at is fine

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 09:20   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
Gisle:
Thanks for the help. However, now that I have done it once, with the fatigued motor mount, I hesitate to do more. The Photo Gallery is quite enjoyable, and fills a need. But it seems better suited to display great scenery and "bragging rights", if you know what I mean. My intention is to use photos to better explain problems and to better solicit assistance from the Forum users. Are you sure your Photo Gallery is appropriate for worn motor mounts, broken motor controls, mast cracks, strange propane and fuel fittings, and the like? There is also the question of linking the photos to the appropriate email.

I can certainly provide great sunsets, decks full of bikinis (well I hope so) and the like as well.

Any advice?
I sold my 30' a couple years ago when I moved up to my 35. While it wasn't easy, it wasn't that hard either, I only took a $2000 hit after several years of use, so it can be done.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 10:03   #36

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Hi! 32Ft. is a good size boat, but you will learn much more on a Laser or JY15 or something similar. If possible pick up some sort of day sailer first, or during. You will learn much more about sail trim, balance, etc, than you will on a bigger b
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 11:09   #37

Boat: a sailing boat

Some 32 are bigger than others. Get one you feel you can single-hand and you will.

To some extent, displacement of the boat may be a yardstick. Some light boats may be easier on the driver.

I would go for 32 alright anyways. 32-34 great step in point and will keep you going for a while.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 11:17   #38

Boat: Seaward 25

My thought is to go with the bigger boat. The learning curve between the 27 and the 32 isn't going to be much difference. The problem with starting with the smaller boat and then moving up is all about money. Either boat is going to likely take cash to get into the shape you want. There is always something on an older boat and when it comes time to resell, you likely will not get it back. I know, you hear stories of people who make money or, at least break even, but they are the rare case. Far more often, you talk to people who buy a boat for 20K, spend another 10K on her then sell her for 20K.

So, your best bet is to only do it once!
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 11:44   #39

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
Go big. I've never met anyone who wishes that they'd purchased a smaller boat. Then take dinghy sailing lessons. If you can sail a dinghy, you can sail pretty much anything. Only real difference is momentum and stability.

Have fun!
We haven't met but my 42 is too big. 36 for experienced sailors is about what I'd recommend for max..

For the original poster of the question the answer is that you can learn on anything but it's really good to start with a basic sailing class and learn to use your sails (sailhandling). Living aboard is not much different than living in an RV or a small Condo but boat systems, sailing, maintenance and maneuvering is very much different.

It is truly unusual to find a liveaboard other than a cruiser that does much sailiing. It's a lifestyle that you make time for. We have some folks here that do just that but the majority do not. When I was living aboard I made it a point to work on the boat on Saturday and go sailing on Sunday. I didn't miss too many weekends.

These are all just my opinions of course.
Old 14-04-2015, 11:49   #40

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Might be a little cramped as a liveaboard.
A cruising Laser, Laser III. They're a little faster than the cruising Sunfish III.
Old 14-04-2015, 11:53   #41
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
a boat for 20K, spend another 10K on her then sell her for 20K. .
Been there, done that:
Bought my first boat, a wooden 44' Yawl for $30k, spent $30k on her, then sold her for $30k three years later. And that was 30 years ago. Probably double that in today's money.
Had the time of my life however, no money in the bank can be traded for a good time. Life is too damn short.
Old 14-04-2015, 12:39   #42

Boat: S&S 34

I bought an S&S 34 with virtually no sailing experience. It is important to buy one that is rigged for single handed sailing with all controls coming back to the cockpit. Once you get the hang of things you with thank yourself for making the decision to go slightly bigger....I now sail at least once a week and I always bring my boat in without assistance...It has taken me about two years to feel confident that I really know what I am doing and I have only made a couple of solo offshore trips....Go for it if you can afford it.
Mendana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 13:51   #43

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I went from a Hobie 14 to a Hunter33.5. Seemed like a battleship at first. Got some sailing lessons on her and felt comfortable in a short time. You'll never regret going for a larger boat if you live aboard.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 13:54   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
He means learning to sail not just putting the rags in the air and making the boat move.

When you learn on a small boat you know what will happen no matter which "string" you pull. Racers can lose a race just with maybe 2" inches less downhaul or being slightly oversheeted or undersheeted.

Or maybe the mast was raked too far aft or not far enough. Could be a guy won because he had more mast prebend and the wind really cranked up. Or maybe it was rudder alignment if you are a catamaran sailor.

Or maybe one guy was in the current and the other wasn't. Could have been weight distribution.....and on it goes.

One guy had too much draft because his battens weren't strong enough and the wind got up. Or maybe his sails were to old and he couldn't flatten them.

Or maybe one fellow was over the start line early because he didn't know how to backup......

Or if you just want to cruise and are not in a hurry and you have a good engine, put the rags in the air and "sail."

Jeff Gordon knows driving and so does your average truck driver but there is a difference. I think he is saying something along those lines..............even if you eliminate the racing one still knows more about just driving.

But, both can usually get to where they want to go so it's just a matter of choice I reckon.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say.

People who live on boats often seem to think bigger is better. It probably is if living space is the primary concern.

I started out on smaller boats, and have raced my share of boats, and still feel that for actually learning to sail (as opposed to learning to cruise), a smaller boat may help you learn more, while actually being cheaper. The smaller the boat, the more you can feel the effects of what you do in regards to actually sailing the boat.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 13:55   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4936 View Post
Hi! 32Ft. is a good size boat, but you will learn much more on a Laser or JY15 or something similar. If possible pick up some sort of day sailer first, or during. You will learn much more about sail trim, balance, etc, than you will on a bigger b
This is what I was trying to say.

It depends on if you want to learn to sail, or learn to live on a boat.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailboat, size