Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 10:48   #17

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I have a beach house in La Mision, Baja California, about an hour from San Diego. There are still some really primo homes available (my own, too, for the right price) along the nicest sand beach in 500 miles. Another half hour away is the Guadalupe Valley, producing some world-class wines. Offshore is excellent fishing for Mahi, marlin, white sea bass. The locals are VERY nice, the weather is exquisite. The La Salina Marina is less than ten minutes away, and Ensenada, only about twenty minutes more. The real estate prices are vastly different than an hour north. I would never dream of having a place like this in the US. And yes, you can own land in Mexico. They conceal it in a legal fiction, using the Mexican banks as trust deed holders with fifty year, constitutionally guaranteed renewable contracts. You can rent, lease, sell and will your place in perpetuity, as long as you keep up the trust and apply for a residence visa. Lots of gringo retirees have discovered this little bit of heaven along the Pacific coast. Don't wait too long, though, real estate prices will be rising in the future. Google Baja real estate to find out more.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Descanso Pt and Cerro - reduced size.bmp (396.1 KB, 97 views)
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:11   #18

We checked out buying in Jamaica ten or so years ago. The titles are probably reasonably secure. There is a big transfer tax when you buy but taxes are low thereafter. We decided that due to health care availability, crime, unstable politics, etc. to not buy but just rent if we wanted to stay several months.

I would agree with other posters that real estate in the Caribbean is not such a bargain anymore. I love Jamaica and its people, but if the powers that be decide to put the squeeze on "rich foreigners", there is something to be said for being able to throw the keys on the desk and take a cab for the airport or weigh anchor and sail away.

One observation that I have made over thirty one years in and out of Jamaica is that there always seem to be good rental deals available if you are patient and ask around.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:21   #19

Boat: Sceptre 41
Irwinsailor:

getting back to your question about investment Real Estate (i.e where you make a monthly income on the money you invested) In the US the Investment property market has ratcheted up so that returns on investment quality properties are paying around 5% to 6% on the cash that you put into the property -- at least on the West Coast. With the weakening of the dollar I think it would be difficult to get a decent return on your US dollar outside of the country. It sure mwould be cool to own a Marina though. I looked in BC Canada and found one for $2m.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 20:22   #20

Belize and Ambergies Caye have some good prices and all the real estate papers are in English !
hatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 03:20   #21

Well, you could also try to either get an island in South Carolina or take a look at some of the properties for sale Florida has to offer. Maybe you find something that meets your needs and wants. I did consider getting myself some real estate in Florida as well, but I have to gather the capital first.
Old 21-07-2008, 12:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinsailor View Post
If so where?
My wife and I are retired and live on the income produced by our UK property investments. Its a good place tu buy. Rents are good and you can get a good return on capital investment. For example, a $200,000 investment property would give you approximately $13000 p.a. in rental income. There are also capital gains to be considered.
JustStartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 13:17   #23

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
IrwinSailor,
Here's a marina for you (from the Rio Dulce news forum) .... and it's probably over priced!

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:41 pm Post subject: MARINA FOR SALE "Rio Dulce, Guatemala. 15 boat slips, bar, store. 4 storage rental units. New house. Land and water access. $245,000. Contact Bob at riodulcebob@yahoo.com or call 5426 7222 ."
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 14:18   #24

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Here are a couple of books to look at -HOW TO INVEST IN OFFSHORE REAL ESTATE by Bromma, OFF SHORE LIVING AND INVESTING by Tanzer. Investing in real estate in a no-tell country can allow for income not taxed in US. You will have to obtain foreign financing as American banks will not finance a foreign investment directly and you may be required to put down 40% or more of the purchase price. Interest rates will also be higher than in the US. Example - Current rate in St. Maarten = 8+%. Formation of an off-shore LLC will protect your assets and keep the IRS at bay but will cost you better than $1k/yr. Management fees are generally about 30% of rental + aboat $250/ month accounting charges.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 12:30   #25

Portugal

Quote:
If so where?
I want to buy A Boat in the States because ihe Dollar is weaker than the Euro and saail the world.
In the mean time I am going to buy a ruin with some land on the interior of Portugal and reconstroit the return it can be more than doble the money, Amorim
Amorim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 12:37   #26

Portugal

Quote:
If so where?
Minho north of Portugal beautifull zone not spoild by turist yet
Amorim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 12:49   #27

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Panama

Another place that hasn't been mentioned is Panama. Lots of ex-pats and there are lots of incentives for people willing to invest dollars. It's also considered "hurricane free".
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 06:21   #28

Sweden, if you like canadian climate!
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 07:24   #29
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
FYI, this thread was started over four years ago....
Old 25-07-2008, 09:16   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Who can and cannot purchase land in a given country varies quite a bit. I have been looking at buying some land to retire on in either Croatia and Romania.

Croatia has a reciprocal agreement where if the country you are a citizen of allows foreigners to purchase land there, then you are allowed to purchase land in Croatia. If you are buying land for business purposes in Croatia, then it does not matter which country you are from.

In Romania, only Romanian citizens are allowed to own land in that country. (My wife has dual US/Romanian citizenship) In 2012 when Romania joins the EU, individual foreigners will be allowed to purchase land there. Good sized corporations are allowed to own land in Romania which of course stimulates the economy.

You really have to look up the laws of the individual country to see if you are allowed to purchase land there.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote