Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2014, 13:55   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Insurance requiring the correction of survey issues 8 months after issuing a poli

On my first boat the survey identified that the life raft was out of inspection, so of course the insurance company say I had to inspect it. So I told them I took it off the boat and that was enough for them.

BTW - it had the no propane monitor thing written down so the insurance company of course wanted me to install one.

My last survey went a lot easier as when they said I needed one and I pushed back because I didn't feel I needed to pay to have one for a boat that I knew and maintained myself, the insurance company sent me a self-survey form to fill out
Old 23-08-2014, 06:45   #32

Re: Insurance requiring the correction of survey issues 8 months after issuing a poli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
On my first boat the survey identified that the life raft was out of inspection, so of course the insurance company say I had to inspect it. So I told them I took it off the boat and that was enough for them.

BTW - it had the no propane monitor thing written down so the insurance company of course wanted me to install one.

My last survey went a lot easier as when they said I needed one and I pushed back because I didn't feel I needed to pay to have one for a boat that I knew and maintained myself, the insurance company sent me a self-survey form to fill out

Brilliant !!!

Sailing somewhere.....
motaman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2014, 07:37   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We also received such a letter. Many items on the list were absurd and from the point of view of a power boater/inspector. The letter stated that repairs must be done by a professional certified - blah blah. Included on the list was to "properly install and wrench torque to manufacturer's specs - the wheel nut. At the time, the wheel was hanging on the EDSON bracket made for getting your wheel out of the cockpit at the dock. Another item on the list was to punch holes & install vents in the lazerette deck & hatch. As any sailor knows, these are frequently under water.

Important items were handled. Photos taken, a letter drafted and transmitted to the agent AND the higher-up in charge. I then called the higher-up and made sure he saw the letter. Iwas pleased that I could reach him in person. We discussed the items I refused to change and why and what was done or to be done. I also showed that I was qualified to do all the repairs. He was very personable and gave us a pass.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 14:44   #34

I received the final answer today.....as long as the main breaker installation and the reverse polarity indicator are on the "to do list" it's sufficient for the underwriter.....thanks

Sailing somewhere.....
Old 25-08-2014, 20:24   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by motaman9 View Post
I received the final answer today.....as long as the main breaker installation and the reverse polarity indicator are on the "to do list" it's sufficient for the underwriter.....thanks

Sailing somewhere.....
Having a main breaker and reverse polarity indicator are probably wise "to-dos"

If not on the list or installed I'd add GCFI protection...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 04:47   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Having a main breaker and reverse polarity indicator are probably wise "to-dos"

If not on the list or installed I'd add GCFI protection...

I agree.....I'm thinking a combination AFCI and GFCI protection setup.

Sailing somewhere.....
Old 26-08-2014, 04:54   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by motaman9 View Post
I agree.....I'm thinking a combination AFCI and GFCI protection setup.

Sailing somewhere.....
Blue Seas has a nice ($$$) unit that incorporates GFCI with test button, reverse polarity indicator and the ability to switch between 2 AC sources - i.e. shore and inverter, shore and generator.

I'm thinking about that for when I install my shore power. I don't currently have an inverter or generator but might be useful to plan ahead with the switch capacity.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 17:25   #38

Well, like many things, the ABYC standard has changed.....that happened fast....it is now an ELCI main breaker protection with GFCI on the individual outlet circuits.....so I'm redesigning again....the upside is the insurance company was fine with me saying that I would "evaluate the AC systems for upgrades in the future". I can get the Blue Seas setup with the ELCI breaker, polarity indicator, volt meter and ammeter with eight positions 30a toggle breakers for about $900 prewired.

Sailing somewhere.....
Old 30-09-2014, 15:09   #39

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

On the subject of insurance, has anyone heard of an insurance company requiring a survey BEFORE they will quote? It seems a bit over the top since the survey had to be within the last two years.
I can understand them quoting a policy subject to a survey. I also asked them what they required in a survey. They said that was up to the surveyor. I can just see them asking for something after the fact and the boat is back in the water.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 03:14   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
On the subject of insurance, has anyone heard of an insurance company requiring a survey BEFORE they will quote? It seems a bit over the top since the survey had to be within the last two years.

I can understand them quoting a policy subject to a survey. I also asked them what they required in a survey. They said that was up to the surveyor. I can just see them asking for something after the fact and the boat is back in the water.

The company we are with wanted one before issuing the policy but that was at the time of purchase. They were willing to give us a rough idea of the premium based on an estimate of what the agreed value would be and what we wanted our deductible to be based on that. Hope that helps ....

Sailing somewhere.....
Old 29-10-2014, 10:39   #41

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

That sounds reasonable and something I would accept. Thanks for posting.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 17:41   #42

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I think you would have a fine case to argue after 8 months that you , in effect have entered into a contract with your insurers and its not reasonable to impose such conditions after that contract was entered into.

dave
And they also have a fine case to cancel your insurance.

You can:
1) Repair everything they want repaired.

2) Lie and say you repaired everything they want repaired.

3) Find a new insurance company that's a bit more lenient.
Old 29-10-2014, 17:52   #43

Boat: Camano Troll

GFCI protection is as simple (and cheap) as installing a GFCI receptacle as the first receptacle in each receptacle circuit. Wired correctly, they will protect all the receptacles downstream. It's easier to do than to think up excuses not to.
Old 09-11-2014, 06:11   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
And they also have a fine case to cancel your insurance.

You can:

1) Repair everything they want repaired.

2) Lie and say you repaired everything they want repaired.

3) Find a new insurance company that's a bit more lenient.

We have hashed that issue out previously....according to the NC insurance board they can't just cancel without due notice (which in NC I think was 90 days).....and a few posts back I posted the compromise that the insurance company accepted which was to "evaluate the systems for upgrades". So all's well that ends well in this case.....

Sailing somewhere.....

Tags
insurance, survey