Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2013, 15:59   #1

Boat: Krogen 38
Inland lake sailors

We have found a sailboat we really like, for what we think is a pretty nice price and we have a slip for her on a reservoir lake near our home in Arizona. The problem is she is on another inland lake (Mead) and neither marina has a lift, crane, trailer or anything to help in moving her. At 38 feet and 24,000 lbs we will need a crane rental on both ends, a flatbed hauler and a rigger in between, and (it gets worse) she needs bottom work enroute as she's been in freshwater for 25 years without a rest. Needs weeks to months (I'm told) to dry her out before they even start sanding. Now, being landlocked desert dwellers with no plans to move in the foreseeable future, we feel a little like those old guys on Secondhand Lions who put a luxury yacht in their catfish pond but we thought we could be happy with that since we cannot move to a coast and don't really want to. Bottom work estimated at 5 to 10K due to the length of time she's been in water without anything but diver bottom cleaning, 4K to haul her on a flatbed, and, (sitting down now) 10 thousand dollars in crane expenses they are telling me because we need a crane three times for the whole evolution. Total turnaround expense is potentially 24,000 dollars. For a 40,000 boat. She's awful pretty though. Has anyone else done this and is there maybe a cheaper way? It feels like the crane company is licking their chops and maybe the paint guy too but maybe we're the ones who have taken leave of our senses.
winchwench46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:16   #2

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: Inland lake sailors

For lake sailing, I'd go with something trailerable. The hassle of moving a 38-foot boat from one lake to another just doesn't seem worth it.
Maybe Lake Mead is a place you can reach on weekends and enjoy the boat there?
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:26   #3

Boat: Seaward 22

If you like throwing money away, go for it. I went with a pretty little trailer sailor. Lots of choices out there.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:28   #4

Lake Mead must have a crane. There has to be someway to service all those giant houseboats. I would try calling Lake Mead Marina and asking them: Lake Mead Marina

You should be able to get all the work done while still on Mead, then you only have to pay for a Crane on your destination lake.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:32   #5

Why exactly would you want a 38-footer for a land-locked lake? And for $40K? Plus the transport hassle...

Inland lakes are the bread and butter of the non-coastal sailor. Though I must confess that being on the shore of a Great Lake, we have most of the benefits of a coast, except for tides. But we regularly trailer to the larger "cottage" lakes around us and absolutely enjoy it.

At $64 K, you're easily at the price range of a top-condition usedl Nor'Sea 27 or Seaward 26 - both WITH trailer. Or you can do what we've done - buy a fun-to sail used trailerable microcruiser for like $5k, sail the paint off of it at home, then drag it to different places for the occasional long weekend out, or daysail it from a luxury lodge. $60K buys alot of gas and lodge time.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:33   #6

Boat: OEM, proportional

Trying to think outside the box....

Find some insane metalworker and ask him how much to weld up a cradle with a pair of truck axles under it. Float said floating beauty on it, tie on, haul out, pay exorbitant roadfees, schlepp to wherever you're planning on sun-drying your hull-garden, work on it, then re-launch and sell cradle/flatbed/stand for scrap, or to someone else needing such a thing.
Old 21-02-2013, 16:40   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

What did the fresh water do to it? is it wood?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:46   #8

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Expenses sounds nuts! Shop around. In your climate the hull should completely dry in a few weeks without messing with it! A little sanding and a coat of epoxy, followed by bottom paint and you are good to go. Those of us in the SE chasing blisters envey you.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 17:09   #9

This is the reason that I'am trying my best to stay with a 28-30 trailer able I had to leave my 38 on the coast when i moved inland yes it can be done but $$ many inland lakes do not allow yards on the lakes so there are no lifts and have many 65+ house boats that are trailer launched could not believe it !!!
That is 4 crane fees for me 1 lift out 1 at my place to do drying and other repairs 1 to reload and another to relaunch
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:46   #10

Another "outside the box" thought. Have you considered a house close to Lake Mead? I get that the economy has gotten better, you likely have a job etc where you are, but I've seen houses in that area go for 20-40k. All in all, it might be cheaper to move to the boat rather than move the boat..
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 19:00   #11

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Aren't they predicting that Lake Mead will be drying up anyways in like 10 years???

Not knowing a lake, but a hydrolic trailor would not call for a crane to pull out...
Old 21-02-2013, 19:32   #12

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
At $64 K, you're easily at the price range of a top-condition usedl Nor'Sea 27 or Seaward 26 - both WITH trailer.
+1
Could probably find a Nor'sea built in early to mid 90s for that price.
Good boats
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 20:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
What did the fresh water do to it? is it wood?
Boatyard guy says fresh, warm water is the worst thing for osmotic blistering and it's likely to have a really bad case of them after 20 years. Still, can't really tell until we lift it out.
Old 21-02-2013, 20:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Cruiser View Post
Aren't they predicting that Lake Mead will be drying up anyways in like 10 years???

Not knowing a lake, but a hydrolic trailor would not call for a crane to pull out...
They are, and it probably will. Somebody's going to have to take all of those boats out of there someday.
Old 21-02-2013, 20:19   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchwench46 View Post
They are, and it probably will. Somebody's going to have to take all of those boats out of there someday.
Could explain the cheap houses, so please ignore my suggestion of moving there.. :-)
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote