Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-02-2013, 21:21   #16

Boat: Krogen 38
Re: Inland lake sailors

We have considered the trailer sailor and even if we did get one that small it will stay in the marina in a slip. We owned a catamaran on a trailer for several years and the evolution of getting it down there, raising the mast, rigging it, getting it going and doing it all in reverse, often as a squall was coming over the lake was just not fun. Honestly, I want the boat to use as a vacation house and I have sailed daysailors and they just scare me. I want a tank with sails that can seat 8 comfortably for dinner. Hence the 38 footer but I do understand the "throwing money away" thing. Thanks for the helpful advice - 10 grand for cranes sounds insane to me but if that's what they charge then that's the price of our grand folly. Lake Mead is national park and so is Lake Roosevelt so no cranes, no lift, no boatyard, nothing. Cannot even clean your bottom at the slip, you have to sneak away into a cove, put your dive gear on in the water and do it on the sly. Don't even let them see you with sandpaper in your hand working on your topside teak. Might get teak dust in the lake or god forbid paint flakes. Honestly I don't know how they deal with those 65 foot houseboats but whatever.

Old 21-02-2013, 21:32   #17

Boat: Krogen 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
For lake sailing, I'd go with something trailerable. The hassle of moving a 38-foot boat from one lake to another just doesn't seem worth it.
Maybe Lake Mead is a place you can reach on weekends and enjoy the boat there?
It's on the option list but it's an eight hour drive each way, really more than anyone wants in a weekend. One hour on SW airlines with a two week advance purchase. Since we don't usually know the weather two weeks in advance that option is out. We could do the drive for a few months but she still is about 21 years overdue for a bottom job. We gotta deal with that no matter where she stays.

Old 22-02-2013, 07:28   #18

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchwench46 View Post
Cannot even clean your bottom at the slip, you have to sneak away into a cove, put your dive gear on in the water and do it on the sly. Don't even let them see you with sandpaper in your hand working on your topside teak. Might get teak dust in the lake or god forbid paint flakes. Honestly I don't know how they deal with those 65 foot houseboats but whatever.
I think the marina I'll have my boat is the same way. No swimming at the dock. I heard that there are rules about sanding but it may not stop some people. They may do it anyway or could be a good reason to take the boat out more often.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 08:34   #19

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

We're at Roosevelt and no ones ever said anything about sanding and cleaning- people do it all the time. The lack of crane is a hassle, but they can be rented in Globe for under $1000. You probably already know this but wind is always hit or miss there. We've been there numerous weekends when there wasn't enough wind to sail. That may make it harder to justify the $'s for a 38 footer. We have 3 30' sailboats in slips now, and that's probably the largest I would put on Roosevelt. What about a small houseboat for sleeping and 30 footer for sailing and sleeping 4?
Old 22-02-2013, 17:46   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchwench46 View Post
Boatyard guy says fresh, warm water is the worst thing for osmotic blistering and it's likely to have a really bad case of them after 20 years. Still, can't really tell until we lift it out.
I did not know that...
Old 23-02-2013, 10:53   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

winchwench, I had heard that there were 4 Westsail 32s on Lake Mead and 2 of them were shipped out of there. So there must be some way to get your boat out. Perhaps just walking around and looking for 1 of the remaining Westsails would help find out how the other 2 got out.

Don't give up, yet! If you have found a boat you like, keep asking questions. I hear what you are saying about wanting a tank. Our IP is a bit of over kill for our lake but oh my, what a great sailboat and comfy ta boot
Old 23-02-2013, 11:16   #22

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142

Lake Mead Marina advertises that they do bottom jobs, pressure washing, crane time, and hauling to Las Vegas. I would give them a call if you have not already.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 12:29   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon

I have our Pearson 36 on Lake Coeur d'Alene ID and it cost $500.00 for the crane to launch the boat. Moving to the San Juan's next year and the cost should come in under 4K. The boat has been in fresh water for 5 years and no problems with blisters yet.

Good Luck,

Len

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: