Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2016, 12:10   #1

Independent Boat Surveyor As An In Cruise Source Of Income

What are the most worldwide recognized diplomas you can get to be a boat surveyor.
Would it be a realistic source of income during crusing?
arbanais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 12:33   #2

Re: independent boat surveyor as an in cruise source of income

SAMS and NAMS are the big ones in the U.S. If you are elsewhere then you would need to be more specific.

As for a realistic source of income, I guess that depends. If you want to cruise internationally you are going to have all the same problems as anyone who is trying to get work in a foreign country. Read a few of the threads here about working while cruising and you will get all the details. If you stay in your own country then that's not an issue, and you just need to establish enough of a reputation to get work (which is never an easy thing to do).

Good luck, whatever you do.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 12:36   #3

Boat: Vagabond 14

I have a feeling that's not really all that practical of a business plan.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 15:43   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I think it can generate some extra income.

Make sure it is not just the diploma but most importantly years of experience on the job. It is one of the professions where the diploma is just the icing.

Freelance survey jobs pay 50 freedom tokens per hour plus all costs where we are (this side of the pond). No tax. If you get a nice two weeks job once a year you may make upwards of 5k on a two week assignment.

Pitch at Maxi and above, new to-be owners, co-op with a major broker otherwise your only way to step in is years of experience and a large contact base of your own.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 09:20   #5

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

At 10 or 15 USD per foot , you cannot really expect an income in a foreign country as a surveyor
You need to add on many skills to make a living
Best paid jobs are the engineer and the electrician
Also pays if you know how to repair GRP or Steel
But none of the above, alone will bring you adequate income!
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 09:59   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

As DenverDon mentioned, the real problem for this idea and the majority of the other ideas for making money while cruising, you need a work permit to earn money in a foreign country.

For most places, especially third world where their annual income is way less than what most of us earn, a foreigner working in their country is a BIG deal. You would be considered a rich cruiser taking jobs and money from the local economy which will not make you popular.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 10:15   #7

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I considered getting my Nams and or Sams certification, as I have been repairing boats for many years, but unless one does it full time, the cost of keeping it currant is expensive and work shops are required, so cruising doing this probably will not work.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 10:26   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you will need the requisite local paperwork and credentials and permits completed for licensure and credibilities.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 18:06   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

And, socially amongst the cruisers it could be awkward in that who you know are mostly not the same people as who want a survey when buying a new to them boat. You'd be better off with refrigeration maintenance skills, a reliable vacuum pump, gauges, and a fill bottle or two... Many new cruisers have not budgeted enough electrical power to run all their goodies. So electric skills are also an advantage for under the table work.

There is, of course, the issue of taking work from locals who need to feed their families.

Ann
Old 15-06-2016, 02:58   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

Indemnity insurance could be a problem if you survey overseas. I am a Surveyor here in Australia and it has taken me years to build a client base and reputation. A lot of my surveys are from first time buyers and they are usually directed to me via my marina contacts and yacht brokers. Building up that network while cruising may be very hard. International Institute of Marine Surveyors is where I got my diploma. Its a 12 month course by distance education and then a day of exams. I am a NZ qualified boat builder as well and still found the course tough going. Surveying is a great job, but I need to do other work as well to support a family of four. Lucky I have no ambition to be rich or else I would be choosing a new career.

Thanks
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 15:30   #11

I have been a surveyor for 35 years I learned my trade in a large shop of 60 surveyors world wide. I am a member of NAMS which is international.

I am certified in yachts but there is no money in it and there will always be the languages problem.

fortunately for me I have a lot of exposure in international freight, cargo claims of goods coming in containers coming off the ships that get damaged en route and they have cargo insurance that requires a surveyor to help present the claim
All documents dealing with this world wide are in English and most ships officers understand English while they may not speak it. I also have a great deal of experience in large hulls and high speed ferries. through the years I have made contacts world wide and work pretty frequently for a lot of American based companies in marine insurance and claims. I also do on hire surveys of commercial hulls, that is to say I do charter party work.

I CAN and DO work world wide and because I am diverse I can work anywhere in the world. pick up work for cargo, international freight Both by sea and by air is easy to get as these surveyors are very busy often running several jobs simultaneously through out a single day. you can get paid in cash just to help them out if you know what you are doing

so I would suggest you get a little more diversification and insurance company contacts. you will starve to death if you think you can work your way around the world doing yachts

good luck
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 22:15   #12

Thank you besurvey, this a very interesting opening on this buisness. Il like your go everywhere work anywhere approach very much as i am fully able of it and french english and german speking
I also have a legal backgrund : having been siting a s a judge for years, i know what i would have liked to find in a survey report in yhose years.

Could you telle me a little more about the way to get nams certification?
arbanais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, income, survey, surveyor