Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-01-2016, 10:01   #16

Re: Income for long term cruising?

How big is your boat? Can you move, say, 100 kilos of primo coca-, uhh, never mind...

Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 11:05   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Forget about "it" being a boat, Hugo. As Valhalla said, you are looking to run two households. And while many snowbirds and others are rich enough to maintain two and three homes these days, it is still damned expensive and simply not an option unless you have gobs of money.

So, either downsize, go cheap for a couple of years, then get rid of the boat or get rid of the wife if you prefer to keep the boat. The math can be pretty inflexible, one or the other probably will have to go.

It may be possible to earn money while you're cruising, it may not. Depends on your skills and what you want to do.

hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 11:27   #18

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/SS

Buying the boat was pretty much structural to the decision to quit working, to quit living ashore where any current soul-mate was, and to live BY MY OWN STANDARDS.

I am presently single, almost. Any woman fitting into my life style will be just an adorable cherry on top of my cake, not the contrary.

BTW, too many people here making long term strategy starting 3years from now... I find it wrong...
Life adapts to itself, so people have to...either
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 12:13   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

You're making this way too complicated.

Get your boat Bristol, and go cruising.

Come back in a year and the wife and your assets will be gone. Plan accordingly.

End of problem.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 12:51   #20

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34, "Shoal Survivor"

I find it offensive that folks feel the need to critique the relationship rather than answer the questions. There are more than one sort of relationships in this world, and mature people recognize this.

* He did not say he would be cruising far. He may have only meant a few weeks at a time.
* He may only intend to do this for a few years. It is something he is burning to do, and he will be a better husband for it.
* He did not imply placing financial burden on his wife.
* There may be good reasons why his wife is not up to it or up for it, but wishes him well. My wife, for example, has some physical limitations. Perhaps she merely gets sea sick. Is that reason for divorce? Not nearly so.

If he can swing the money--and he can with care--then it seems like a plan that many should consider, and I know it is one that many have followed.

Don't judge.

That said, the OP needs to comeback with more detail. In my case, there is thrift, some minor income, and a nest egg.
"Climbing (sailing) is like fun, only different."

Tom Pattey, Scottish ice climber
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 13:00   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.5

Here's a wildly irresponsible poem for you :-)

To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.
"I've always wanted to sail to the South Seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.
The years thunder by. The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.
Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life?
- Sterling Hayden (Wanderer, 1973)
As quoted by Stuart Kiehl

I have always fallen to the "hybrid" model of time cruising and time at home. Lots of adventures in between. 2 or 3 months of either and it's time to move on in my experience. I would not advocate later in life just "going" and not caring, early in life.....absolutely.

That time at home can be put to good use topping up the kitty :-) or building a little business that can run without you there all the time.

Good problems to have!
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 14:09   #22

Short answer? Make your first trip to the Thailand, load up on un cut heroin, sail to the US, cut heroin by 90%, sell heroin. Either you make enough to sail for life, or you get gub'mint sponsered housing for life and wifey can live off your pension.

Just kidding, of course.

SniperSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 14:40   #23

Boat: Nautitech 482

Why won't your wife sail with you? Could there be a compromise there somehow? Buy a catamaran instead ;-) thats how my husband convinced me, now I'm forever trying to get him to forget work and get back on the water!
LydiaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 14:47   #24
breaker of your dreams

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Originally Posted by Hugo B View Post

I have bought myself a very nice boat which is all set up for long distance cruising, and my original plan was to stop work in about 2-3 year's time and go cruising. But whichever way I calculate it, I find that I cannot afford to do this long term, especially because my wife will stay on shore, will be retired also and needs an place to live, which means for one person cruising off an on, and another living onshore my savings will whittle down quite fast. I can do this for about 4 years, but then it would really start to eat into our longer term retirement plans.

Go sailing and review your position in a year or two.

Tell those that keep asking personal questions that don't have to do with your question to pack sand!
stop blowing smoke up my rear, blow it at the sails instead
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 19:03   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Get a divorce. Go cruising. You're going to be apart anyway. She obviously doesn't want to be part of your life...
You can live your life trying, unsuccessfully, to keep your wife happy, or do what makes you happy. But not both. Let her get a job. I've seen old ladies in McDonalds.
You'd be surprised how much cheaper you can live single.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 22:09   #26

Boat: Crewing on a maxi cat

Not to sound overly simplistic. And this suggestion is something which I need to do more myself, too.

But... Stay focused on the goal/outcome (that you want,instead of the obstacles) & the solution(s) will present themselves. And there are various ways of "staying on course" towards one's goal, both in the moment, & long(er) term. From affirmations & notes posted to yourself in prominent places, to...

And staying focused, plus not listening to the naysayers, is the "trick".
Also, sadly, this kind of mentality seems to be much frowned upon in our culture. Especially so as one becomes an "adult"/ages.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 22:18   #27

sounds like you need to choose between the boat and wife.... why would you cruise by yourself?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 23:55   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm in a similar situation.

a. How much in the kitty, not counting the house?

b. How old are you each?

c. $55K sounds doable, but it means getting frugal. Marinas are probably out.

d. Any continuing income?

Personally, I'd rather get real frugal than through caution to the wind. Frugal can equal freedom to simply "be."
Seriously $50k requires being frugal

That's a reasonable wage in Australia where pensioners are in the late 20's?

I would have thought $50k would be a pretty comfortable life cruising around with that.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 00:38   #29

Well.. thanks for all the answers. Some of the suggestions are similar to what I thought myself, for example, taking 6 months unpaid leave from work, sail the boat to Europe, put her on the hard there, then after another year or so take more time off and sail her to the next destination..and so on. Or if possible quit my current job entirely and work on a contract basis and alternate 6 months work with 6 months sailing.

Anyway, to put something else at rest, my wife and I do get along, she just does not sail, but does not stop me sailing also. In fact I often think the best relationships are those where there is broad tolerance for different interests, even when such interest take quite a bit of commitment in time and money. For her to go back to work at this stage..not very realistic, so we have to do with the money that is there.

As someone said, planning my life around the prevailing winds and sailing for half a year when the winds are favorable and work when they are not, sounds good to me. Alternatively I can take several years in one go, but then I will be out of circulation which makes it more difficult to find something again.

Anyway something will work out, thanks for all the (often colorful) replies!
Hugo B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 01:04   #30

Boat: Ohlson 29

Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I would have thought $50k would be a pretty comfortable life cruising around with that.
Yes - but this is for 1 person cruising AND 1 living ashore ...

"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote

cruising, income, long term cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: