Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 14:54   #46

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: I'm walking away from my boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
So the next time someone comes along, who has fallen in love with a boat that is obviously just going to be a time and money pit, will we still get all the criticism for being "naysayers" if we tell them the truth about it? Probably.

Yep, prolly.
Old 03-11-2012, 14:57   #47

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Love your post Freddy. Lots of people buy el-cheepo cars, run them til they drop and then send them to the knackers. Only 10 or 20 years prior they were the latest thing, but buying them on their last legs is mostly very good economics.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 14:58   #48

Originally Posted by denverd0n
So the next time someone comes along, who has fallen in love with a boat that is obviously just going to be a time and money pit, will we still get all the criticism for being "naysayers" if we tell them the truth about it? Probably.

Sometimes it's hard to hear what people offer... sometimes It's hard to hear what my own gut is telling me! Any reader needs to listen to all the input... then do a gut check about the realities and the balance of all opinions offerred. Live and learn. I still buy boats that need too much work!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 15:04   #49

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Well I have to ask. How much would ya sell her for?

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 15:09   #50

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I am sorry that you have reached your limits with your boat. My hobbies are sailing and flying. Being an Electrical Engineer, I can assess the workmanship and cost estimates to be made on either a boat or a plane; you need a technical background to accurately do that. After decades of sailing and flying, my best advice for a would-be sailor/pilot is to charter or go with owners who share your values in life. Sailing and flying were never meant to be cheap hobbies. Many boat owners and pilots would enjoy a good company, if you are willing to share the cost of travel and your demeanor is very easy going. You do not have to own a boat or an airplane to have fun. Browse marinas and small airports, for share-travel getaways. If offered a ride, for a day or longer, be ready to "pull your weight". While I never owned a boat or an airplane, I get invited on a regular basis to go on trips with friends, who a few years ago were just acquaintances. Boat/airplane ownership is NOT for everyone. Be gracious to your hosts and learn to generously share expenses and duties. In a little while, you will be invited to sail the seven seas without the cost of ownership.
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 15:10   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

Sometimes it is better to just walk away!

I don't feel I really need to explain because if someone caan not see it there they probably wouldn't walk away regardless.
Old 03-11-2012, 15:16   #52

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
I understand what you are saying but in this case it might be just the solution for this gentleman. Our marina is particularly friendly and there is a lot of knowledge floating around. Just the other day a friend brought in a new to him Morgan 38, it's basically sound but needs lots of little things done. When he got frustrated that the AC wouldn't run, a couple of us went on board and solved the problem in a few minutes. He has a couple of minor gelcoat issues that I offered to fix for him, I doubt I'll need to spend more than 30 min..

On the other hand I've been ill for a bit more than a year and thankfully on the mend. During all that time my friends have looked after my boat to keep her safe. I need to replace the heat exchanger on the engine, not a difficult job on an engine stand in the garage but a royal pain in the boat. I've got more volunteers than can fit in the cabin to give me a hand.

After a year of neglect I can understand the frustration in a seemingly endless list of things to do. As other posters have stated, don't look at the whole list. If I have a day or two, I look around and see what can be done in that time frame. Next time, I do the same. Don't be too ambitious, everything seems to take longer on a boat. I remember replacing the head on my first boat. I figured an hour tops, it took 5 days because nothing fit and had to be custom fabricated.

So as others have stated, take a deep breath, cultivate friends who know something about sailboats. At the very least they can let you know who are ripoff artists and who does good work. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I no longer smoke but when I did a glass of "ol' thought provoker" and my pipe while sitting in the cockpit pondering what to do next did wonders.

Could go that way too.

Sounds like a really nice marina.
Old 03-11-2012, 15:22   #53

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

I thinkyour decision to have a break & re-establish good ties with the people that mean the most to you is the way to go.
Your perpective may change once there is more balance in your life. A fixed schedule
can be damning.

The only way I will complete my boat is via extremely long haul so everything else does not fall apart. Financials permitting.
Its been so long I wonder if I really will enjoy sailing at the end!
The best of luck, best foot forward & don't look back......

+1 Cabo......
lateral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 15:23   #54

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I

Please forgive my rant but maybe prospective boat owners and wannabes can learn from this thread what a nightmare it can be.

what a nightmare WHAT can be? Did I miss the part where you described the problem(s)?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 15:38   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
what a nightmare WHAT can be? Did I miss the part where you described the problem(s)?
ROFL...
With boats... for mortals.
Money, Time, Relying on a honest deal from trades people.

When I bought my boat the diesel mechanic inspecting the diesel gleefully exclaimed to his helper. "Another sucker to extract thousands." Did he think he was funny, delivering a pitch, preparing me for the worst? Sheesh!
Just as well I am a closet grease monkey.
Old 03-11-2012, 15:48   #56

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Sorry to hear about the boat, boatyard, etc. MAybe the whole thing isn't all that fun after all? Think about what you like about it, and if if there's not enough you love about it, then bleeding money may not be worth it. If you do really love it, upon reflection, then maybe you can plot a way to get to the point where you are doing what you want with it. If the boat floats, blistered or not, has a rig, and some ragged sails, some ground tackle(not a damn rocna or manson and hundreds of feet of ACCO), you can prolly get by on cruising the SE.

Do you have places you anchor and hang out, that you dream about going back to? Cape Lookout is the center of my nautical universe, and when I am sick and exhausted, and have to go give a cow an IV in the middle of the night for milk fever, I think about bobbing around at Cape Lookout. Or putting out to sea at dark and setting a course for an inlet a few hundred miles (or 70 miles) away. Or roasting oysters and drinking wine near my favorite oyster beds in Cape Romain. Sometimes with others, sometimes alone

It is easy to get to the point where all this work, or each purchase feels like a necessity. I've been guilty of that, but by necessity, I scrutinize every little purchase now. Owning an old boat means you have to enjoy working on it ( or at least tolerate it somewhat cheerfully) or pay someone to do it. My biggest anxiety is that I will be in a far away place and I wont be able to fix what breaks. To be honest, it terrifies me. I have teenage kids, a demanding but low paying farm management job, and ZERO savings. But I've fought that fear, and sailed it as much and as far as possible during my time off, despite having things that don't work, like a depth sounder for instance.

Sailing is the one thing that I do to really take my mind off work, and get away. I'm on call 24/7, live right on farm, have thirty staff, local elected official, committees and boards, and going 400 miles to the sailboat is what really helps me chill out. I can drive all 400 miles without even turning the radio on. There is a feeling I get, that I cannot explain, when I get in "sailboat mode". A feeling of total freedom. It comes from thousands of miles of adventures up and down the coast over a few years, and is most certainly why I have sacrificed so much to make this dream happen. Sometimes I wonder how long I can hold on, as the house of cards could crumble down at any time. But in 45 years or so I will be dead, or sooner, so there's no time to waste really.

Think about what you enjoy about it, and see if it is reasonable to get to the point you can do what you like - soon. If it will really take some time to get there, but you really want it, then just hang on and let us give you a pep talk now and again. Otherwise, bail out, and do something else you enjoy.

my perspective, hope it helps.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 15:53   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Love your post Freddy. Lots of people buy el-cheepo cars, run them til they drop and then send them to the knackers. Only 10 or 20 years prior they were the latest thing, but buying them on their last legs is mostly very good economics.
Yeah.. I've driven "on their last legs" vehicles for a decade. My current truck only had 42K miles on it when I bought it, I've spent no more than 2K in maintenance and repairs, and just sold it with only 100K miles on it to a tradesman. Not including gas, the whole vehicle including repairs cost me less than $1000/ year to own it. I know people who pay close to that in monthly car payments... which makes no sense to me at all.
Old 03-11-2012, 15:55   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Sorry to hear about the boat, boatyard, etc. MAybe the whole thing isn't all that fun after all? Think about what you like about it, and if if there's not enough you love about it, then bleeding money may not be worth it. If you do really love it, upon reflection, then maybe you can plot a way to get to the point where you are doing what you want with it. If the boat floats, blistered or not, has a rig, and some ragged sails, some ground tackle(not a damn rocna or manson and hundreds of feet of ACCO), you can prolly get by on cruising the SE.

Do you have places you anchor and hang out, that you dream about going back to? Cape Lookout is the center of my nautical universe, and when I am sick and exhausted, and have to go give a cow an IV in the middle of the night for milk fever, I think about bobbing around at Cape Lookout. Or putting out to sea at dark and setting a course for an inlet a few hundred miles (or 70 miles) away. Or roasting oysters and drinking wine near my favorite oyster beds in Cape Romain. Sometimes with others, sometimes alone

It is easy to get to the point where all this work, or each purchase feels like a necessity. I've been guilty of that, but by necessity, I scrutinize every little purchase now. Owning an old boat means you have to enjoy working on it ( or at least tolerate it somewhat cheerfully) or pay someone to do it. My biggest anxiety is that I will be in a far away place and I wont be able to fix what breaks. To be honest, it terrifies me. I have teenage kids, a demanding but low paying farm management job, and ZERO savings. But I've fought that fear, and sailed it as much and as far as possible during my time off, despite having things that don't work, like a depth sounder for instance.

Sailing is the one thing that I do to really take my mind off work, and get away. I'm on call 24/7, live right on farm, have thirty staff, local elected official, committees and boards, and going 400 miles to the sailboat is what really helps me chill out. I can drive all 400 miles without even turning the radio on. There is a feeling I get, that I cannot explain, when I get in "sailboat mode". A feeling of total freedom. It comes from thousands of miles of adventures up and down the coast over a few years, and is most certainly why I have sacrificed so much to make this dream happen. Sometimes I wonder how long I can hold on, as the house of cards could crumble down at any time. But in 45 years or so I will be dead, or sooner, so there's no time to waste really.

Think about what you enjoy about it, and see if it is reasonable to get to the point you can do what you like - soon. If it will really take some time to get there, but you really want it, then just hang on and let us give you a pep talk now and again. Otherwise, bail out, and do something else you enjoy.

my perspective, hope it helps.

Sure as hell helped me.
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 15:55   #59

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll
have a good clean up and clear out of non essentials on the boat.

it can work wonders for ones moral when you have worked yourself to a standstill.

have a break,re focus,and when you go back you got a clean slate again.
There is much truth in Atoll's words

My husband and I are currently outfitting our boat for cruising and there were many things we felt we had to add, upgrade, or replace. With so much on our plate (and scattered about the boat, including all of the tools) we were quickly overwhelmed and wondering what the heck we had got ourselves into -- paralyzed. Being an organizational type I took charge. Even though my husband hates to do lists, after a few days off, I made him sit down with me and make one. After another couple of days off, we sat down and reorganized the list by priority, what do we have to do before leaving port and what can we do along the way.

Finally, I spent a day putting things away, cleaning the boat, and organizing the tools (for some reason my husband can't work unless all of his tools are out and laying around (even if some will not be used for the project) this quickly led to chaos as it was impossible to find anything.

After a few more days off we came up with a systematic way to approach each project that works for us. Identifying material/supplies needed for the project before starting and identify the needed tools (which I would organize prior to starting) and most importantly (for us) focussing on only one project at a time -- baby steps.

Put everything away, take a break, when you feel you are ready, go back to the boat and look at it with a fresh eye and then decide what to do.

Good luck,
Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 16:09   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
You sorta have to go back to here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-90855.html

Post 121.