Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 05:19   #121
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 679
Re: I'm walking away from my boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Fred View Post
I absolutely agree. Just concetrate on one item and finish it. Then go on to the next. It amazed me how things added up. A piece of this and a little of that is nowhere. Just have an overall plan and fill in the pieces...
And I also agree, Capt Fred: with that approach comes nirvana. I have numerous project vessels in a range of materials and every job yields rewards. But then, I am retired

For younger folk like the OP, I'd suggest keeping the project and getting a TS for weekends away. Park it in the backyard and it won't cost much and it'll revive your interest in the biggun.
__________________

__________________
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:58   #122
Registered User
 
hogfighter's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SE Florida
Boat: Hunter 430
Posts: 158
Images: 3
Re: I'm walking away from my boat.

The responses to this thread is what makes Cruisers Forum such a treasure.
__________________

__________________
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:12   #123
Registered User
 
propellanttech's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B'ham, Al
Posts: 356
Re: I'm walking away from my boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
The 31' I have now is a lot more work than the 25' was, but I wanted to live on the boat. My 25' was one step up from a cardboard box. You couldn't stand up in the cabin; no water tank (that might have been a plus this summer!); porta potty; no shore power; I could go on and on. It was no boat to live on.
I find your posts quite interesting.......

I understand the limitations that you have, but surely you would find someone like me.

I'm 43 and love to help others. I knowledgeable about many different things, although there are some things I'd rather not do (fiberglass work). I probably wouldn't dedicate my life to helping someone, but would do just about anything they needed.

Your situation frustrates me, for I have the same dream, and hate to see people limited by their abilities. I try to teach as I go, and the person I am helping may not pick it all up, but would probably learn something.

I work on trade, but most times just to help. It is just how I am.

There is a down side to my personality. I must do everything as perfect as possible. I'm not content with mediocre solutions.

James L
__________________
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:55   #124
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: I'm walking away from my boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
I find your posts quite interesting.......

I understand the limitations that you have, but surely you would find someone like me.

I'm 43 and love to help others. I knowledgeable about many different things, although there are some things I'd rather not do (fiberglass work). I probably wouldn't dedicate my life to helping someone, but would do just about anything they needed.

Your situation frustrates me, for I have the same dream, and hate to see people limited by their abilities. I try to teach as I go, and the person I am helping may not pick it all up, but would probably learn something.

I work on trade, but most times just to help. It is just how I am.

There is a down side to my personality. I must do everything as perfect as possible. I'm not content with mediocre solutions.

James L

I have, finally, found someone who works for pay, charges a reasonable amount, does the work well, and who stands behind what he does -- AND listens to what I want, not what he would want on his boat. I'm not talking about stupid things like "I don't think that broken shroud is all that important," but about things that are partly a judgment call or based on experience with *my* boat -- ex: length of headsheets. Someone who was CERTAIN he knew at a glance something that experience with that boat had taught me is a mistake, he shortened my headsheet -- over my protest. He really screwed things up. I have learned to be EXTREMELY firm in such cases.

I also have made a couple of friends whose skills may not be as high as yours, but who have some idea of what I'm doing. Of course, that help ended up with my scupper connected to my water tank (oh what confusion THAT caused!) but the BIG problem -- the dirty tank -- was solved, and eventually the hoses were straightened out.

But it made me really glad I had a policy of never drinking the tank water!

Nobody likes to work with fiberglass but I'm going to learn how to do it. I want to divide my anchor locker. It really isn't funny if you have to anchor in an emergency (ex: dead engine from dirty fuel and if you don't get the hook down NOW you're going to be aground) and have two lines tangled up. And they do tangle up, all by themselves. They're horny. They want to mate.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:05   #125
Registered User
 
propellanttech's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B'ham, Al
Posts: 356
Re: I'm walking away from my boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I have, finally, found someone who works for pay, charges a reasonable amount, does the work well, and who stands behind what he does -- AND listens to what I want, not what he would want on his boat. I'm not talking about stupid things like "I don't think that broken shroud is all that important," but about things that are partly a judgment call or based on experience with *my* boat -- ex: length of headsheets. Someone who was CERTAIN he knew at a glance something that experience with that boat had taught me is a mistake, he shortened my headsheet -- over my protest. He really screwed things up. I have learned to be EXTREMELY firm in such cases.

I also have made a couple of friends whose skills may not be as high as yours, but who have some idea of what I'm doing. Of course, that help ended up with my scupper connected to my water tank (oh what confusion THAT caused!) but the BIG problem -- the dirty tank -- was solved, and eventually the hoses were straightened out.

But it made me really glad I had a policy of never drinking the tank water!

Nobody likes to work with fiberglass but I'm going to learn how to do it. I want to divide my anchor locker. It really isn't funny if you have to anchor in an emergency (ex: dead engine from dirty fuel and if you don't get the hook down NOW you're going to be aground) and have two lines tangled up. And they do tangle up, all by themselves. They're horny. They want to mate.
I'm glad you found some useful help. Any boat is a hard project to keep up single handed.

As for the ropes (or rodes), the divider is a good idea. If they are that "attracted" to each other, you must keep them separated. If you don't you may have "stringlets".

Fiberglass work sucks! There is no other way to put it. I itch for weeks after. I have extremely sensitive skin, so I'm miserable for a long time afterwards. But someone must do it. I now vacuum all my fiberglass, unless not possible. It cuts down on the sanding and itching.

James L
__________________
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:11   #126
Registered User
 
Greatketch33's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 148
I know of folks who like to sail much.
I know of folks who like to work on boats.
I know of folks who like to sail more than work on boats.
I know some folks who like to work on boats more than sail.

I don't know any folk person who likes to spend more money than to sail or work on boats.

The sound of money exiting the wallet is rarely pleasant.

Ka-Ching.
__________________
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:57   #127
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: I'm walking away from my boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
I'm glad you found some useful help. Any boat is a hard project to keep up single handed.

As for the ropes (or rodes), the divider is a good idea. If they are that "attracted" to each other, you must keep them separated. If you don't you may have "stringlets".

Fiberglass work sucks! There is no other way to put it. I itch for weeks after. I have extremely sensitive skin, so I'm miserable for a long time afterwards. But someone must do it. I now vacuum all my fiberglass, unless not possible. It cuts down on the sanding and itching.

James L

Oh I'm dreading it. The idjits that owned our home before us put down a single sheet of fiberglass instead of padding between the carpet and the cement pad. Turned out our older daughter was violently allergic -- so allergic that inhaling it could have killed her. A hazmat team cleaned it up while she stayed elsewhere. Yikes.

But it has to be done. Mating rodes have no interest in deploying smoothly. I guess it's a mood killer.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 13:07   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: I'm walking away from my boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
What "able man?" I'm a 66 year old woman with basically no experience with tools. Moving the running rigging, going up the mast to replace the halyards, replacing standing rigging, all sorts of things. It was find a way to afford it or not have a sailboat, and I am not ready to go there. As I said, I've worked out ways to barter a lot of things. On this boat, a dirty fuel tank was a big problem for me but not for the friend who actually took care of it.

I had cancer six years ago. It was a great big wake up call. If there's something I really, really want to do, not wise to wait. What I really, really wanted to do was live on my sailboat. But there's been plenty of frustration. The good has outweighed the bad, and I know that something could happen to me tomorrow that would not only keep me from sailing but force me off the boat, not that I ever wanted a "floating condo by a dock."
English is a weird language where somehow some native speakers assume 'man' equals 'male' much as most non-native speakers tend to say man and think person.

Woman, next time you have so much work about the mast (wires, rigging, fittings) think if removing the mast for the works might help. In our ship, we have mast steps, but I still prefer to have the mast horizontal on the dock to do a seasonal check-up and repairs.

As you found, bartering is one way out. And there are so many ways one can barter and there are so many ways we can get necessary support from others. One of the good things about being a sailor rather than a stock broker;-)

Cheers,
b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:33   #129
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Boat: Bavaria 46
Posts: 38
Re: I'm walking away from my boat

I bought my Bavaria 46 new in 2005 through a charter program in Greece. It was painfull to see her slowly being beaten up year after year. Now I own her outright after 6 years. I had a bit to be done to freshen her up and now feel like it was worth it. I own her privately and charter her a month a year and that more than pays all the costs. Im the skipper now and no bare boat charters anymore. Too many rocks in Sweden for nubies but one of the most beautifull places in the world to sail. 28,000 islands to visit many of them for several days in the midnight sun summertime. It was worth it but its not easy. How many sailors regret selling there baby? My suggestion is to buy the best you can and not take on more than you can fix otherwise you will hate it. Buy right the first time. Scott

www.crewsailing.se
__________________
crewtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:24   #130
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Summer: In the land of Wooly Mammoths
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,252
Images: 2
Re: I'm walking away from my boat

Virginia Boy, what separates humans from other forms of life is our ability to dream. And, it is this ability to dream that has created the greatness of our world in science, art, literature, music and technology. However, dreams are tempered with reality and when they conflict, our will is thwarted and we become sad, angry or unhappy. Anyone who has owned a boat, good or bad, has experienced these feelings at one time or another because the reality of the moment has deferred their dream. Take a break, put your boat on hold and focus on the human aspects of your life: your family, your fiance, and your friends. And, when you've allowed yourself enough time to refocus, look realistically at your boat and ask what you need to do to sail it now. It may not be perfect, it will have flaws, there will be the unending list that seems to grow daily and there's always the money. But, find a way to sail your boat now and don't focus on everything that is wrong, but rather the feeling you had when you knew that this was one of the most fulfilling things you've done in your life and why you bought the boat in the first place. If the thrill is gone after your sail, sell it. However, if the feeling returns find a way to balance the good with the bad. What ever you decide, don't lose your power to dream. Good luck and good sailing. Rognvald
__________________
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:50   #131
Registered User
 
lateral's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NZ
Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.
Posts: 703
Re: I'm walking away from my boat

Beautiful, rognvald.
My favorites-
don't focus on everything that is wrong
don't lose your power to dream.

After 8 yr out of the water to fix a boat a bb legend said "was kindling" my wife wants me to do the upholtstery before splashing.
And, she has a just had a wake up call, myocarditis.

I don't understand........tomorrow we could be pushing up daisy's.
__________________
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:53   #132
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ireland, French canals/Med/Spain
Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Posts: 476
Re: I'm walking away from my boat

Personally I would take Dockheads advice, winners don't quit and quitters don't win. You can't spit the dummy out and kick the toys out of your pram if things go wrong when you are at sea. So calm down, stop panicking and think logically ( a brandy of the back deck in the sunset is a great cure all). You are so very lucky to have so many knowledgeable people here who are only to happy to help you. Take one step at a time and have faith in yourself and your own ability.
__________________
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 13:26   #133
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Augustine, FL
Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Posts: 220
Re: I'm walking away from my boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
When I bought my boat the diesel mechanic inspecting the diesel gleefully exclaimed to his helper. "Another sucker to extract thousands." Did he think he was funny, delivering a pitch, preparing me for the worst? Sheesh!
Just as well I am a closet grease monkey.
I once had a mechanic say somthing similar when he didn't know I was standing right behind him. He almost knocked himself out on the overhead when I said it was time for him to leave. I wanted to help him over the side.

For Virginia Boy, I feel your pain. I've been there a few times. I even made one go away with a chain saw and a pickup truck once. I still like working on old boats, but sometimes you just need to take a break. Good luck with whatever you decide.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." Dave Barry
Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 14:28   #134
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: I'm walking away from my boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
English is a weird language where somehow some native speakers assume 'man' equals 'male' much as most non-native speakers tend to say man and think person.

Woman, next time you have so much work about the mast (wires, rigging, fittings) think if removing the mast for the works might help. In our ship, we have mast steps, but I still prefer to have the mast horizontal on the dock to do a seasonal check-up and repairs.

As you found, bartering is one way out. And there are so many ways one can barter and there are so many ways we can get necessary support from others. One of the good things about being a sailor rather than a stock broker;-)

Cheers,
b.

Sailors are THE most awesome people in the world IMO! Every once in a while someone will take advantage of your generous nature but most of the time sailors give more than they receive. But no -- it would not be easier to lower the mast on this boat. I was on a boat recently while the owner was installing mast steps, and ... that's another thing I would not have the skills to do. Nice to have, and my boat is fast enough (even with a BIG bimini that I would not worry about a "loss of speed" from them.

But there are more important things to barter for right now. The guy who works on my boat is half monkey, gets up efficiently and keeps the costs down that way. He's going to have to go up again. The idjit who had the boat before me replaced ALL the halyards with line that was too big. The spinaker halyard (which he used to raise the headsail, making some SERIOUS forestay problems) is both way too big and all torn up. I don't expect to be flying a spinnaker any time soon, but it's useful for all sorts of other things and that's high on my list of next things to do.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 14:30   #135
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: I'm walking away from my boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish rambler View Post
Personally I would take Dockheads advice, winners don't quit and quitters don't win. You can't spit the dummy out and kick the toys out of your pram if things go wrong when you are at sea. So calm down, stop panicking and think logically ( a brandy of the back deck in the sunset is a great cure all). You are so very lucky to have so many knowledgeable people here who are only to happy to help you. Take one step at a time and have faith in yourself and your own ability.

Sometimes I need to have that tattooed on the inside of my eyelids.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Girl Overboard ! TigerLilly Health, Safety & Related Gear 82 24-02-2016 23:07
Boat Held Hostage By Marine Transport Company CREOLE-BELLE Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 676 26-10-2012 11:37
Sailboat pricing Z1Krider Monohull Sailboats 42 18-10-2012 12:03
Hmmmm - Bowthrusters ?? CnC40sailor Monohull Sailboats 193 31-08-2012 09:55
The buying process. Talk me through it. dgasmd Dollars & Cents 42 11-05-2012 19:16



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:13.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.