Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 15:08   #31

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Im trying to make a decision about living aboard and still working. Can anyone co

For the OP, one tip about things to boost how much business comes your way, is that what your vessel looks like in terms of care, & TLC, can greatly affect the number of folks who will hire you. So think of your boat as a floating business card, & resume. Even though you'll likely be doing mostly engine work.
If memory serves, it was the Pardeys who stated this. And they of course got lots of paying gigs on other boats, which let them finance their adventures. This, long, long before they were known names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
How about some free advice? I want to clean and repaint my Volvo MD17 in the boat of course... There are a few rusty areas... of course some grease...

1. How do I clean? What tools? what products? Steamer?
There was a thread on this about a month ago, maybe a bit more. And it covered several methods. Which, I'd suggest cleaning it several times, using more than one method, each on a different day. So as to make absolutely certain that it's both clean, & grease free.

2. Should I remove the V belts?
Yep.

3. Do I have to prime bare metal or just spray finished paint? How many coats?
Definitely prime, after cleaning off All rust that you find. And paint as soon as possible after the primer's appropriately dry. So that there's less chance of the primer getting dirty or oily, thus necessitating more cleaning, & sanding.

4. Can I do the painting in the winter... temps will be dropping.
Check with the paint manufacturer on this. And plan to warm the engine, & engine compartment prior to painting. Probably in addition to keeping it warm while the paint cures.
Though little to none of this warming should be done by firing up the engine, as there's a substantial risk of it putting oil & other contaminants onto things.

If you don't want to answer... no biggier.
Hope that helps. Though it's all derived from common sense. So think every part of the process through on your own. Ditto on researching the topic, & proceedures.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 17:29   #32

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: Im trying to make a decision about living aboard and still working. Can anyone co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Being a mechanic you should have no problem with restoring the OI41. Just keep at it. A 30 footer has one head and one engine, 2+ sails, and tanks and rigging. A 40 footer has one head+ and one engine, 2+ sails and tanks and rigging . No big deal. Good luck!
Totally agree. OP will have no problem making money. A note on the bulletin board is all he needs.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:23   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
The liveaboard part sound easiest; get on with that.

But the a) earn a bunch of money, and b) while cruising part... seems more difficult. Maybe that's a pick one or the other...

Yep, that's what I'd guess. Emergency while I'm cruising, I might turn to somebody nearby who talks a good game.

But more likely I'd turn to well-established professionals in the area if possible... if I can't fix it myself. Even then, sometimes it's more of a parts issue, anyway, another reason to not necessarily call somebody over from the next boat in the anchorage.

Not at all meaning to sound discouraging, busty (?), just suggesting that the world might not beat a deep path to someone who's here today and gone tomorrow, doesn't stock parts, may not be intimate with our own brand of (engines, whatever).

I'd guess more lucrative options might be living aboard, establishing a work identity and reputation in a home area, cruise from time to time. Or you might enjoy more the idea of living aboard, cruising all the time, and being content with whatever income you can scrounge in cash or in kind. Only you can decide.

-Chris
That sounds like a good solid plan.
bustylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:24   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Z View Post
If your heart is in it, no worries. nice liveaboard. Its a boat they all need work. Your ahead of it being mechanical. As a younger person i left ft. meyers with $62. , a motor that gave me fits, on a 30' texas tri, sailed to the keys, sold fish, shark jaws, sponges, and w orked on a geodesic dome in the keys, saved money and headed for tha virgin islands. lived on fish, shellfish, potatoes,cabbage,and cheap rum, no worries.got a new engine. go for it , no telling when your lifetime guarantee card will expire.
Best advice yet!!!!
Old 03-12-2016, 08:25   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
What year is your Morgan,- ketch/sloop. walk-through/walk-over, Morgan built/Catalina-Morgan "Classic"? How about a photo?
Click image for larger version

Name:	1480782351030.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	137380
Old 03-12-2016, 08:27   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
want boat pix.
as you turn wrenches, you have the opportunity to trade needs-- ha ha i work on your engine you fix my (davits, solar, wind gen, wtf) and a 41 is the right size, as you need room.
you need room to sprawl, as work and relaxation take different areas of the boat. morgan 41 is a decently sized palace for working and relaxing. making part a work room will save lots of issues and time for you, and will keep work away from living and playing.
wanna see pix!!!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	1480782375919.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	137381Click image for larger version

Name:	1480782400979.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	137382Click image for larger version

Name:	1480782412550.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	137383Click image for larger version

Name:	1480782428659.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	137384
Old 03-12-2016, 09:13   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Bustylady, 'nice photos. I would make the guess that this is about a '77 walk-through ketch. The items that strike me as best for your model over mine is that you don't have all that big black rubber that doesn't age well. The big rubber portlight gaskets and rub rail on the earlier models would tend to leak and weep black streaks over time. Probably the most important structural improvement made with your later model is the moving of the hull-deck joint from the vulnerable rub-rail up to the more protected toe rail area.

I've made many improvements with my '73, but my rub rail remains at the hull-deck joint; however, I have layered in with a thick tabbing of fiberglass under the rail.

I also have my transom ports above the rub-rail which is not normal for my older model. I see yours are lower.

Please share any ideas and project questions specific to our Morgans. I've been living aboard and fixing my Out Islands for 44 years.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:07   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

good work.
i did the work from living aboard as a r n in all areas critical in critical care nursing.... pacu, icu, cardiology, er, er triage, etc, .. from 1976-2005.
from 1990 was while living on board~~ different boats times and places.
if i could do it having to look perfect, you can do it looking perfect.
excellent choice, btw.
you have plenty of room to sprawl out and relax or work. and even cook without having screwdrivers and wrenches and grease guns and tubes of grease in with the flatware ha h aha ha ha ha
smart to get a ketch. you will have soo much fun!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:24   #39

Boat: Valiant 40

Go for it. Work on your boat as you go, choose your destinations wisely at first (in terms of likely available work, and you'll be good. Every boat is a work in progress the day after it is launched.

Annapolis MD fills up in the summer with male and female solo sailors on modest boats that then ply their trade as riggers, mechanics, etc. Although they usually work for a local company, there are a few independent contractors as well. I'm sure other busy ports are similar.

Reputation, reliability, and networking will be the keys to your success. Do good work and find a way to spread the word and you should do well.

One thing to keep in mind is that many marinas require you to have insurance and be on their authorized vendor list in order to work on their premises. Might be an issue with some places you go, and it would be worth investigating the cost of insurance (which would benefit you as well).
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:46   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

41 feet is great, just think, lathe, pillar drill welding kit, press for making up rigging
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 15:32   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Go for it. Work on your boat as you go, choose your destinations wisely at first (in terms of likely available work, and you'll be good. Every boat is a work in progress the day after it is launched.

Annapolis MD fills up in the summer with male and female solo sailors on modest boats that then ply their trade as riggers, mechanics, etc. Although they usually work for a local company, there are a few independent contractors as well. I'm sure other busy ports are similar.

Reputation, reliability, and networking will be the keys to your success. Do good work and find a way to spread the word and you should do well.

One thing to keep in mind is that many marinas require you to have insurance and be on their authorized vendor list in order to work on their premises. Might be an issue with some places you go, and it would be worth investigating the cost of insurance (which would benefit you as well).
Yes i already have a good insurance that all marinas require in order for me to work there
Old 03-12-2016, 15:53   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Im trying to make a decision about living aboard and still working. Can anyone co

From your pic's she looks pretty functional to me.. but then again its the sort of thing I deliver.. boats needing work..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 18:34   #43

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustylady View Post
That sounds like a good solid plan.
It sounds like a good solid CAVEAT
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:22   #44

I would set up yourself in such a way that you can cruise to markets that you can establish your business in.
joshrosenthal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:50   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrosenthal1 View Post
I would set up yourself in such a way that you can cruise to markets that you can establish your business in.
Then i might aswell just stay here at home where i already have a good rep in what i do. My plan is to move around alot and work as i can.

Tags
living aboard