Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-01-2012, 07:07   #1

I Want to Buy a Nauticat

I am seriously interested in buying a Nauticat 33 for single handed long- term (virtual liveaboard) long distance cruising.

I have seen 2 which interst me: both are 1974 versions.

Any advice; cautions; suggestions; or general comments would be appreciated before I go to view them.

Thanks!

dewsnapsmith

Old 20-01-2012, 07:23   #2

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri
Re: I want to buy a Nauticat

Did you see this 1986 one?: Pamlico Classified Ads on TownDock.net | Oriental NC News

Old 01-02-2012, 09:44   #3

Boat: Crewing on a Nauticat 33
Re: I Want to Buy a Nauticat

A small caution: My parents purchased a '74 Nauticat 33 this fall. While surveying the local market we found a lot of cases where the wooden deck was rotting from beneath. It was especially common in the small triangular part of the deck ahead of the room usually used for the anchor. The one they ended up buying had recently had a major renovation including a new deck.

Pardon my language, English is not my first language, maritime English less so. :-)
Old 01-02-2012, 12:26   #4

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Before buying our catamaran we were really interested in a Nauticat 44 and talking to the sales folks who are reps for the Natucat boats in Seattle and they told us of a couple who were sailing from Seattle to Hawaii and got in a nasty storm and after several days in rough weather they called a passing ship and left there Natucat to drift after the ship got to Hawaii the coast guard called that there boat was found near the islands and had been towed in to harbor. The boat was in good shape EXCEPT they had left the doors open and the sea birds had made a mess of the interior took 3 weeks to clean up, The couple only beat the boat to Hawaii by 5 days. Just saying there very seaworthy boats. That ventage of boat I definately check the hull closely for bubbles.
Old 19-02-2012, 15:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewsnapsmith View Post
I am seriously interested in buying a Nauticat 33 for single handed long- term (virtual liveaboard) long distance cruising.

I have seen 2 which interst me: both are 1974 versions.

Any advice; cautions; suggestions; or general comments would be appreciated before I go to view them.

Thanks!

dewsnapsmith
Before buying such boat, make shure you you have enough room to handle the maintenance of the engine. If the engine is a Perkin 4.236, it is a very good engine but hard to work on it unless you have enough room around. Check the tanks for deposit or algea that may stop your engine as soon as the sea get stormy. On deck be carefull to set the main sail....I have the same comments for a 36 or 44, mine was a Seafinn 41 that went around the world but as I said, engine compartment not very big and setting that main was dangerous on heavy seas. Teck decks are a nightmare on the tropics maintenance wise but they have no equal in term of safety. During our Three years cruise, I was almost barefoot all the way, later I found that I needed one size shoe wider!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: