Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2010, 02:30   #1

Boat: S2 11.0 36 FT
Hypothetical Question . . . Self-Sustained Cruising

I feel a bit as if I am in a confessional here…. But, alas, here it goes.

I have always dreamed of doing extended cruising. I went through a phase, where I was determined to do a circumnavigation, but I have come to the realization that the philosophy between a determined goal, and an open ended exploration are vastly different.
Open ended may be the launching point here. What I need to do: I need to maximize the length of time I can go cruising, and do it on the basis of a VERY limited income.
I hope to aquire a good sound (structurally) vessel. I hope to finance the boat, and make payments during the duration of the cruise. At this point I have been fairly interested in the CSY boats, (something about that hand laid, 1.5” thick fiberglass) and I hope to find something of this caliber for around 60-80k. My next plan is to start a sort of cruising co-op, where I will enlist some of my friends to crew (actually current crew on my racing boat, an E-scow) for the duration of the trip¬, and also for the outfit period, which will last about a year or so.
Each member of the co-op will be required to give their savings (this is not expected to amount to squat didily) and, during the outfit period, will work a job, and contribute all their earnings to the kitty. Secondly, they, along with myself, will be required to work towards the building of an internet based business, as well as other internet based revenue streams (i.e. advertising rev., from blogs)
An onshore contact will be established to receive SB based emails which will contain the work of the crew and myself. The payments of the vessel will amount to roughly 12,000/yrly, and from what I have seen, maintenance, and living costs will amount to roughly 24,000/yrly, with a total of 36,000 dollars yearly, as an ongoing cost of cruising.
Assuming we had a group of 3, with each pulling in 12,000 yearly from internet based revenue streams, we could theoretically cruise indefinitely….right?
Keep in mind the whole of the ships crew and captain will be less than 27 years old, and very willing to live in a (safe) P.O.S. of a boat, so long it was properly outfitted. Outfitting it may be way too expensive though… we will need a watermaker, a wind gen, and solar gen, and a genset, to power the computers, safety equip... (alone is likely 6k!) We’ll need to insure it the whole time if it’s financed? Also can we leave the country for an extended period of time if we finance? Do I just leave that part out? Can we finance it as a home if it is a liveaboard?
The emphasis is definitely going to be on self-sustainability……. How far can I push the envelope on this one? Maybe some people who are set up for perpetual cruising can give a how-to? (that doesn’t involve pensions or dividends? )
ileestma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 03:36   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
One problem I see.

Rooting.

3 will turn into 4 as someone picks up, and then your master plan will be shot.

Those 2 will then leave and you'll be 2.

One will pick up and then you'll be 3, but a couple Vs 1. Someone will be pissed and the 3 will disolve....

Untill you can afford it yourself you will be subject to others betrayal.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 04:23   #3

Somebody has already set up a self-sustainable cruising community/co-op sort of a thing, I think it is based out of Hawaii because of the year-round favorable climate for growing food. It actually sounds Really cool - not an end-of-the-world fringe group or anything like that. The person who told me about it is off backpacking in Utah for a few weeks, when he gets back I can give you more information. Even if that group is not what you are looking for, MarkJ made good points - maybe you can get other ideas from this group.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 06:39   #4

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=15664&url=

easy.

Dunno about the CoOp thing...sounds like one big PITA to me..If you have a steady income string of 12k yearly, you can, with a nod to frugality do it single hand..but then I am becoming more hermit like as I age..@ 27 I still needed crowds of folks around me..Neptune only knows why.
Old 26-10-2010, 06:57   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ileestma View Post
The payments of the vessel will amount to roughly 12,000/yrly, and from what I have seen, maintenance, and living costs will amount to roughly 24,000/yrly, with a total of 36,000 dollars yearly, as an ongoing cost of cruising.
Assuming we had a group of 3, with each pulling in 12,000 yearly from internet based revenue streams, we could theoretically cruise indefinitely….right?
I'm not sure about the idea in general, but I do see one issue with your math. You haven't factored in any taxes and I believe regardless of where you are based out of, someone will want some taxes on your income.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 07:05   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The biggest problem you will have is: "Keep in mind the whole of the ships crew and captain will be less than 27 years old, and . . ." when added to MarkJ's ?Rooting? Is that Aussie for "rutting"?
- - Anyway, at that age, attention spans are still measured in very short periods of time. So you will need a continual inflow of new "partners" to replace the continual "departure" of bored ones. If that can be worked out then the plan has "longer term" viability.
- - Young males have a better chance at successful long (year or two or three) term cruising if they are alone. Especially, in the Caribbean there is an endless supply of "Sweet Young Ladies" willing to explore aspects of life with you for a few months or so. So having compartments in the boat where you can be private from the other men of your team is essential. That means bigger boat, which means more work, which means more expenses.
- - Which is fine, until you find a more amenable/compatible S.Y.L. and then your choice will be "ditch the other guys or ditch the S.Y.L." And then you have the problem of "buying out their share" of the boat.
- - These types of ideas do work, but only for short periods of time. So plan with that in mind and you and some friends can enjoy some "bitchin' good times" while it lasts. Just don't delude yourself that it will last forever.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 07:15   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Lots and lots of variables = lots and lots of uncertainty. You are young. Uncertainty is tolerable.

Have an exit strategy...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 09:07   #8

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
The only thing worse than an ex(wife) or ex(husband) is an ex boat partner. I have seen these coops or boat partners thing work good but I for one do not have the proper mentality to share (I think it is because I was the youngest). Picking the right boat partners is key but getting three I think would be hard.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 09:26   #9

Boat: Pearson 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ileestma View Post
I feel a bit as if I am in a confessional here…. But, alas, here it goes.

I have always dreamed of doing extended cruising. I went through a phase, where I was determined to do a circumnavigation, but I have come to the realization that the philosophy between a determined goal, and an open ended exploration are vastly different.
Open ended may be the launching point here. What I need to do: I need to maximize the length of time I can go cruising, and do it on the basis of a VERY limited income.
I hope to aquire a good sound (structurally) vessel. I hope to finance the boat, and make payments during the duration of the cruise. At this point I have been fairly interested in the CSY boats, (something about that hand laid, 1.5” thick fiberglass) and I hope to find something of this caliber for around 60-80k. My next plan is to start a sort of cruising co-op, where I will enlist some of my friends to crew (actually current crew on my racing boat, an E-scow) for the duration of the trip¬, and also for the outfit period, which will last about a year or so.
Each member of the co-op will be required to give their savings (this is not expected to amount to squat didily) and, during the outfit period, will work a job, and contribute all their earnings to the kitty. Secondly, they, along with myself, will be required to work towards the building of an internet based business, as well as other internet based revenue streams (i.e. advertising rev., from blogs)
An onshore contact will be established to receive SB based emails which will contain the work of the crew and myself. The payments of the vessel will amount to roughly 12,000/yrly, and from what I have seen, maintenance, and living costs will amount to roughly 24,000/yrly, with a total of 36,000 dollars yearly, as an ongoing cost of cruising.
Keep in mind the whole of the ships crew and captain will be less than 27 years old, and very willing to live in a (safe) P.O.S. of a boat, so long it was properly outfitted. Outfitting it may be way too expensive though… we will need a watermaker, a wind gen, and solar gen, and a genset, to power the computers, safety equip... (alone is likely 6k!) We’ll need to insure it the whole time if it’s financed? Also can we leave the country for an extended period of time if we finance? Do I just leave that part out? Can we finance it as a home if it is a liveaboard?
The emphasis is definitely going to be on self-sustainability……. How far can I push the envelope on this one? Maybe some people who are set up for perpetual cruising can give a how-to? (that doesn’t involve pensions or dividends? )
I too am about to embark on a rather extended cruise. I am 44, retired and about to collect a judgment to fund my trip and later retired days. I have been pondering the question of crew because I want a boat of at least 50 feet, a catamaran. The only solution for me is to pay room and board and entertainment and not accept any type of investment in my floating home. That way, I can opt out of any company I choose at any time. The only contract between any crew and myself is a contract of my choosing, one which I can break if things are not done my way. I am very easy going but I don't tolerate any nonsense on my boat, ie. total slobs, arses, negligence of safety, not understanding my simple yet effective method of madness. I agree with all previous replies to your post. These people speak volumes of truth and experience. Remember, the best boat is a friend with a boat! Good luck......... It will happen!!
merrick44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 10:09   #10

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Each of you pulling 12k from internet income is going to be difficult. If you can figure that part out, implement it and not have to maintain it while on extended periods of time with no internet access, you will have accomplished a major feat. I know that the 4 Hour Work Week book makes it seem really easy, but it's just not. I'm not in any way trying to diminish your enthusiasm, but this is the one thing that jumped out at me. Good luck with your planning. I truly hope it works and that you have the time of your life.
Homespun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 08:10   #11

Don't forget that you will need reserves for the eventual and inevitable replacement of things like sails, batteries, rigging (running and standing), engine rebuild, and the like.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 16:57   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
Didn't Bernie Madoff already try this scheme???
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 17:29   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
Why not just get a job that works everywhere? Like a doc? Or a diesel mechanic?

I think a pro diver can also keep on cruising for what he makes along the way. Also a pro teacher of English.

Ok, I know, drifting.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 03:52   #14
CLOD

Boat: none
maybe it's time for a new book, "Hitchiker's Guide to Cruising on a Boat"

I find it hard to believe any of these "working while cruising" things really work. I can believe there is such a thing as moving from place to place to work while living on a boat. But living on a boat and cruising aren't the same thing to me.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 04:16   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Co-op's fall apart on land....
So 24/7 on a small boat... 3 male owners/skippers.... testoserone rampant... be interesting to say the least....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote