Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2010, 04:54   #16

Boat: Traditional 30
Before I give my opion/s I will translate from MarkJ's comment. The term Rooting is the equivalent of F$*ing. He was being polilte

He is right. Once a permanent bed partner comes on board, the happy balance between crew members will be somewhat upset. What happens if the three of you get lucky for an extended period of time? Then who gets the aft cabin?

In a co-op situation you will face that problem anyway. If everyone is equal, who gets the aft cabin? And, who makes the decisions? There can only be one master of a vessel.

Your maths is reasonable. But what happens when one person ends up doing all the work and the other two go out for the day? These are the social and orginisational problems you will face.

It would be best if you bought your own small boat and took on "shared expenses" crew. (all but illegal in the USA I have heard, but fine in other countries.)

Cheers

Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 05:04   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
. . . I find it hard to believe any of these "working while cruising" things really work. I can believe there is such a thing as moving from place to place to work while living on a boat. But living on a boat and cruising aren't the same thing to me.
Actually, the working while cruising thing works quite well so long as you stay in the waters of your home country. Especially in North American waters the opportunities to cruise and move from region to region within each country is excellent. Opportunities to work, especially for craftsmen type jobs and just about any other field by somebody eager to work hands on - which pretty much describes the mentality of the average cruising sailor.
- - But I would agree that there is a blurry line between a static or mostly static live-aboard who works ashore and the "cruising" sailor who is sailing from one place to another fairly frequently and really doesn't get involved in "long term" jobs ashore.
- - I think you will find an example of the first in "former cruisers" who now still on the boat and work in West Marine stores. And for the later, cruisers who do service work like sewing/canvas from onboard their boat or cut hair or clean boat bottoms.

- - As to Ozskipper's "In a co-op situation you will face that problem anyway. If everyone is equal, who gets the aft cabin? And, who makes the decisions?" question. Back in the 1960's when I was a young man, that question never was a problem as we all shared everything while grinning a lot from the funny weed. Ah! the good old days . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 05:31   #18
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Actually, the working while cruising thing works quite well so long as you stay in the waters of your home country. Especially in North American waters the opportunities to cruise and move from region to region within each country is excellent. Opportunities to work, especially for craftsmen type jobs and just about any other field by somebody eager to work hands on - which pretty much describes the mentality of the average cruising sailor.
I agree; this is what I met by moving from place to place working while living on a boat. But that to me isn't cruising except for when you are moving "between jobs".
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 06:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Before I give my opion/s I will translate from MarkJ's comment. The term Rooting is the equivalent of F$*ing. He was being polilte

He is right. Once a permanent bed partner comes on board, the happy balance between crew members will be somewhat upset. What happens if the three of you get lucky for an extended period of time? Then who gets the aft cabin?

In a co-op situation you will face that problem anyway. If everyone is equal, who gets the aft cabin? And, who makes the decisions? There can only be one master of a vessel.

Oz

Oh..no..no..4 somes...no..no...
ooitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 15:37   #20

Boat: a sailing boat
Well, if not working, then you must have a source of income = pension, rent plan, etc.. Being simply rich also helps, esp. if you want to cruise in style.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2010, 00:39   #21

Boat: Vagabond 42
Working while cruising can be viable as long as your customers are fellow cruising people. However, if you go the route of trying to sell your labour or expertise to the locals, you will probably be running foul of your visa conditions, taking business away from legitimate local people, etc. and, in some countries, that can land you in serious trouble.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 13:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
Each of you pulling 12k from internet income is going to be difficult. If you can figure that part out, implement it and not have to maintain it while on extended periods of time with no internet access, you will have accomplished a major feat. I know that the 4 Hour Work Week book makes it seem really easy, but it's just not. I'm not in any way trying to diminish your enthusiasm, but this is the one thing that jumped out at me. Good luck with your planning. I truly hope it works and that you have the time of your life.
It's easy enough to make $50 per day, it's even easier at times to make $12,000 in two weeks. However, like the man said I'll have to point you to...

What can go wrong, will and at the worst time.
Murphy

Murphy was an optimist.
O'Toole

I can make $50 per day working via the Internet fairly easily. Even easier I can pull in $30 per day. That's no way to live, though. As a couple or pair I can make $100 to $200 per day. But what days will you work? I've seen a friend of mine pull in $50,000 in a month. I pull in $20 in money each day from income with no work involved after the initial setup. If you can make $12,000 per year without working every day, scale it up, hire some hot chick crew members who are looking for a place to live, an adventurous life and who aren't in relationships... and if you can, find some that are ok for friendship with benefits.
tstowe is offline   Reply With Quote