Pressed send accidentally...
anyway, in hindsight, the boats would have done better on the moorings this time, but the surge which smashed any previous tidal surge record
going back a hundred years + simply could not have been predicted when Sandy was in the Caribean and the decision was made to pull all the boats.
In the long Island Sound
, most boats live on moorings and chafe tends to be the culprit when boats break loose. Most times you are better of on the hard
, which is why most insurance policies will pay for a haul for named storms. The jack stands work remarkably well in a blow. If it had been a category 3+ wind might blow a boat down in the stands, I guess, but those storms don't hit the northeast all that often.
The issue here was the surge. As far as cradles, I have never seen one for a boat larger than a one design??
virtually every boatyard in the northeast I have ever seen uses the parking lot as the yard for winter storage
. Where do you put the cradles when the boats are in the water
and the lots need to be used for parking? jack stands can be pilled up ina a very small space.
My boat spent it's first 30 winters of life on jack stands without any issues and there is no practical way that will change until I can move aboard and spend winters in warm places with the rest of you live aboards.
I have heard of yards in the islands digging holes for boats and filling dirt around the keels as the ultimate hurricane
solution! but that does not help with a rising sea...
as far as insurance, I have a liability policy. This will pay to get the boat upright, back on the stands. It appears my rudder
stock might be bent, I have a lot of gel coat scratches to repair, bent stansions and bow and stern pulpits, and a damaged teak
rub rail. The keel
took a beating, but I think it's structurally sound.
I decided not to get a comprehensive policy because the boat is just not worth much. Maybe 35, 40k. I would have needed an $800 survey
and $1500 premiums. I've had the boat for a few years already and will be able to put the 5k or so I've saved on insurance towards fixing her up.
I'll post updates when I can see the damage and will certainly need advice from you guys and gals as I begin repairs
so THANKS in advance!