Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 23:00   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Ask Thai Government, don't be surprised if it is the truth. Foreigners are not allowed to own land or businesses in most of the world, and no allowed to run charter businesses without the correct local (national) credentials.
It is not true that foreigners are not allowed to own land or businesses in most of the world. On the contrary, nearly all countries not only allow but greatly encourage foreigners to start and own businesses (it means investment and jobs), and most countries allow foreigners to own land.

Who is allowed to be captain on a charter business based in this or that foreign country I don't know, but considering how many commercial ships have international crews and Norwegian captains, I doubt that many countries forbid foreigners from captaining local charters. The BVI doesn't forbid it, and my understanding about Thailand is that they simply require charter captains to have a local captain's license. Maybe you have to take the test in the Thai language and that my be a barrier, but I bet in country like that there are other ways around the problem.

Igorsky, вы русскый человек, случайно?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:50   #92
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorsky View Post
Hi together. I try to open a charter business in Thailand. I got the information that I can not be the captain when I take the tourists for a trip. I need to employ a Thai person with captain licence to drive my sailing boat. Is it truth.
Thanks for the info.
Igorsky
This is true even in the USA - I opened a Bis in USVI (St. Thomas) an had to have a local guy as partner before I could open the Bis- jumping thru the hoops-same as many other places in the world
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:38   #93
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Ram, in much of the world you can't open a business (as an alien) unless you have a 51% citizen-partner. Much the same way that you can't document a boat in the US unless 51% of the ownership is a US citizen.

Bermuda? You can't buy real estate or even remain in-country for more than two years, unless you're a citizen. Mexico? Used to have 99-year leases to lots of gringos, just passed a law allowing them to own property a couple or five years ago.

A LOT of the world is like that. Start a business, work off the books or below the radar, sure, maybe. And in other places...totally impossible to do it legally. Try to open a business in China. You can't, unless you're a citizen or you find a 51% partner. Who often will walk away with your technology and intellectual assets and start a competing business that puts you under, a couple of years down the line.

The US is incredibly generous (or damn foolish) about welcoming the world, compared to what the rest of the world does.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:30   #94
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
I looked into charter ops in that 3rd world country across our border, Canada
I have to prove there are no Canadians capable of doing what I want to do and that I will not harm any Canadian industries. The CYC would easily be able to block my entry on that point. I can start charters from US and end in US with stops in Canada.

The main point about mixed crew on freighters is that they are not operating WITHIN the USA. They cannot. 'Within' meaning port to port. They can come in to a US port from a foreign country and then leave for a foreign country but cannot operate port to port in the USA. That is called coastwise trade. Used to be for coastwise trade you even had to have a US made boat to operate. That has been dropped. This 'coastwise trade' is the policy in most countries round the world.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:05   #95

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38
SITS owner-charter dream

Here is an example of someone doing what you originally inquired about:

Catamaran Adventure Sailing

Louis was taking paying guests on his boats when I first met him in the Exumas. He has a magnetic personality, is very enthusiastic, and seems to be putting a lot of effort into his current endeavour. You can piece together his bio from searches on the web
KestrelBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:08   #96
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
there is a commercial charter in mazatlan run by a us citizen, an unlimited master--took him a coupla few yrs to obtain his charter license--he has a boat 100 percent laid up in usa--he built in own yard lol--is a schooner--goood soul to learn from if you are interested--is Sailing Tours in Mazatlan, Mexico Island Excursions PatriciaBelle.com.... goood luck
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:57   #97

To Charter or Not

Hi all I read this and see lots of good points about chartering.

So these are my views and I don't or havn't chartered before.

If its your dream go for it, open your eyes and research which you are doing.

Remember someone elses idea of looking after people all day and night might not appeal to them and to others its a dream come true.

I have done several dream jobs like being a Navy Clearance dive(Seal) and a commercial diver and I can say they sound dreamy and I did have alot of fun, but diving is not all fun when its windy, cold, dark, no vis, a **** job in a **** location and long hour, the electric current running through your filling while welding underwater, lugging other people **** ect ect But you know what I wouldnt have changed it for anything.

I'm now a Emergency Management Officer in the Australian Mining industry, saving people medically, doing rope rescue, vehicle rescue fire fighting, allsounds good, but one of the worst thing s I have done in my life is doing all that and every shift litually taking the piss out of people, thats right watching people piss in a jar for drug testing.

So all jobs have there good parts and the parts that just **** ya.

The last post said look for something different to do and offer and I think this is a good idea. I'll suggest something soon but if you get it right u can sure as hell get someone else taking your great idea and before long there willbe plenty of other charter operators taking your business, so it pays to be onestep ahead and leading the pack. As soon as they start what you are doing you have left the leftovers behind and doing something new.

Maybe go where some interaction with marine animals can give you the edge, or cater to television crews wanting to stay afloat for months on end like in the Blue Planet, they wated three months for just one shot, so set your boat upwith the latest editing computer or two so that they can edit while waiting for there next shots, this way you charter the boat and skippering, they are responsible for meals, cleaning ect, if they don't want todo that they will cost in the catering anyway just like they do on land. same for the dive master thats required, its there responsibility,

Spend onthe biggest boat that you can afford safely cause they will have ten or twelve aboard, place the director in charge of his crew, having a vessel that will go anywhere they want and catered to filming I think would be a great move, they are use to paying big bucks and on the water a cat is stable, alot of user space and they can sail cheaper than a motor boat, another thing in there favour.

So where do underwater filming crew want to film, why in beautiful clear blue water of course, all uneed is a deck hand skipper so that you can get in the water as well.

So anyway research and live ya dreams good or bad, they make for a very interesting life, I meat people on the bones of there ass(Broke) but they are happer than alot of people I know with great paying jobs ect.

Go for it mate and live ya dreams.

Regards Terry
ozdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:07   #98
Marine Service Provider

Hmm...wonder if my davits could support a shark cage?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:48   #99
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"thats right watching people piss in a jar "
Could be worse, mate. At least you don't have to HOLD the jar for them.<VBG>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:38   #100
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"thats right watching people piss in a jar "
Could be worse, mate. At least you don't have to HOLD the jar for them.<VBG>
nor hold anything else (well, presumably )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 09:43   #101

Boat: still day dreaming
just remember they pay in full BEFORE the holiday starts so if they dont like it tough!
robdyson is offline   Reply With Quote