Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2013, 14:47   #1

How to determine what I can afford

Hello everyone! I've seen a few posts before but I just joined as I am actually getting serious about this cruising thing. I've lived aboard my Columbia 26' for two years now (with my two hairy dogs) and so far it's gone well. I've learned a lot about boat maintenance and I know more of what I want in my next boat.

I've decided I'd rather take the slowness of full keel boats that offers a safer boat, but they're all pretty pricy (with good reason). While I WANT to get cruising in the next few years, if I get a Pacific Seacraft Orion 27' or something similar, I'd be spending the next few years trying to pay it off and it will take another couple of years to outfit it for cruising (or so I am told). Is it worth the wait, or should I just got with a less expensive boat that doesn't offer the comfort that the expensive boats offer? Or would it be possible to take the boat cruising while I have a loan out for a boat? I haven't been able to get insurance as a live aboard so I can only imagine what it would be like for active cruisers.

Thanks for your input, and happy holidays!
SassySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 16:39   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: How to determine what I can afford

Hi Sassy Sailor! If you intend on serious cruising, you'll need a very comfortable boat. It is not fun at all when you cannot stand upright in the galley, or can't sleep well because you're bigger than your bed. In addition, provisioning the boat is a pain as it is not accessible friendly. My recommendations: a) get a mono-hull boat in the 32-40 ft range, b) a keel no greater than 5 ft and, c) a stern platform that can be raised/lowered for easy provisioning, BBQ, partying and watersports. I gave you enough ideas...the rest is up to you. Let us know how it is going. Good luck!

Mauritz
French Polynesia in comfort or BUST!
Old 25-12-2013, 16:59   #3

A good sound boat with a partially full keel (cutaway) will take you just fine. Cape Dory, Bristol, Westsail.. plenty others. I've been hard pressed to find a reason PS boats are so well thought of; it's not the furniture work! I have seen a brand new, not even fully unwrapped PS 34(?) that arrived at the dealer's with huge cracks in the deck aft of the cockpit... it was obviously from a bad mix of resin to hardener ratio from what I could see. I saw the boat when I was using a ladder to look at another PS on display right next to it, then I switched over to have a quick look at the 34... and noticed it. What does this say to me? Lack of quality control. I'm not saying PS is bad... just saying "are they really better than anyone else... enough for the $ tariff?" I doubt it. The interiors in the late 90's early 2000's surely no better than Cape Dory. Austere, cut and paste joinery.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 17:24   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post

I've decided I'd rather take the slowness of full keel boats that offers a safer boat, but they're all pretty pricy (with good reason). While I WANT to get cruising in the next few years, if I get a Pacific Seacraft Orion 27' or something similar, I'd be spending the next few years trying to pay it off and it will take another couple of years to outfit it for cruising (or so I am told). Is it worth the wait, or should I just got with a less expensive boat that doesn't offer the comfort that the expensive boats offer? !
No small boat will be that comfortable at sea if it starts blowing. Get what you can afford now. Your Columbia will be fine. Go in that.
Old 25-12-2013, 23:09   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 30 ketch

You don't have to put yourself in debt just to get into a well made full keel boat. It can be a heck of a hunt but I managed to snap up a Cape Dory 30 for a fraction of the price of any PS boat. If you're going to change boats, get one that you can afford now. If you choose well you'll still have a great boat and you'll be out cruising sooner than later

All boats have their trade offs but make sure you have headroom, legroom, and plenty of storage. The more the better. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 25-12-2013, 23:14   #6

Tekav, thank you for your input. I wanted a smaller boat because I really don't want to get a boat too big to maintain by myself. While I have learned a lot since moving aboard, I'm not sure I want to take on that challenge. Also, is a platform similar to a swim platform? I'm not sure I have seen any on boats for sale, but I have wondered how I am supposed to lug groceries and my dogs aboard from my dinghy!
Old 25-12-2013, 23:18   #7

Siege, with the Cape Dory 30, did it need a lot of work? I've seen a couple in the 20K range but have been neglected and require too much maintenance than what I can put in right now.
Old 25-12-2013, 23:48   #8

Mine was in that price range but mostly because she had a motivated seller. She could have sold for closer to 30k.

My boat was in relatively great shape for her age. There are a few problems, like the standing rigging needs replacement (was planning to do that anyways). She was pretty barebones. Very few systems added to her which in my opinion was a good thing. She also needed some minor hatch work and needed the ports rebedded.

All in all, with the exception of the rigging she was pretty much ready to cruise though. Most of the work I'm doing is just adding modern consciences like an autopilot and some relatively routine maintenance.
Old 25-12-2013, 23:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you are locked into the full keel idea (there is plenty of room for debate on that issue and many very knowledgeable and experienced sailors that prefer another design) then hard to go wrong with a Westsail 32. If you take some time and shop around you can find some deals.

Be careful as there are some potential problems. A lot of the W32s were kit boats or owner finished so the quality of the interiors can vary and some have teak over plywood decks that have bad rot and delamination problems.

They are really heavy-duty (and heavy) boats but with a good breeze and/or the right sails aren't terribly slow and are very comfortable boats.

Good luck.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 23:51   #10

I'm not sure why but I haven't been able to get on Yachtworld today, so I've been looking other places and have seen move CD's than before. It doesn't look like the galley is big enough for an oven, would you say that's true?
Old 25-12-2013, 23:58   #11

Mine has an oven. It's ancient but it works. I'll probably replace it eventually. I'm not a fan of alcohol stoves/ovens. It also has a cutting board that fits on top which extends counter space.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1388044625.229285.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	72732
Old 26-12-2013, 00:00   #12

That's great to know! Thanks for the picture. I can't seem to find any good photos of the galleys in the listings. I'll keep my eye out for any CD's here on the west coast!
Old 26-12-2013, 00:08   #13

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Hello Sassy welcome aboard!!! Not sure your budget we sold a 31 Bombay clipper in excellent condition for. 13k. I see them all the time for under 20k. They're actually almost 33' long just under
12' beam. Its a modified or 3/4 keel
Very solid and wide keel most draw 3'6" / shoal draft. They sold the molds to Island packet so same as a 50k IP 31. For alot less. Lots of room, very comfy and would e easy to mount a swim platform on the stern to help with the kiddies. As for insurance what part of the world are you in? Weve never not been able to find a good price live aboard or no on boats up to 35 years old and that is here in hurricane central lol.

Fair winds,
Ryan
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2013, 00:31   #14

Thanks Sweetdreams

I hadn't heard of the Bombay Clipper, I really like it! I'm not familiar with the modified keel but I am familiar somewhat with IP's. All these boats are on the East Coast, I think I might have to snag one up as soon as one makes it over to the west coast! Thanks for sharing.
Old 26-12-2013, 03:50   #15

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Sassy Sailor! Beneteau Oceanis make boats with a stern platform that can be raised/lowered. It doubles up as a water-sport platform, besides being "a must have" when provisioning. Look them up on Beneteau's website...and plan accordingly! Good luck! (Disclaimer: Not affiliated with Beneteau in any capacity. As an engineer, I just admire their practical engineering designs.)

Mauritz