Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-03-2014, 06:27   #1

How to avoid delayed exit/difficulties after purchasing a yacht in another country?

Im considering purchasing a USCG registered yacht currently located in the Dominican Republic. I wish to avoid any possible DR exit difficulties/protracted processing periods after finalising the purchase i.e. be in a position to exit DR and sail the yacht to BVI as soon as possible.

With this in mind do any members have experience or familiar with how I would achieve this? For example, would I deliver the yacht under the current ownership then execute the final sale docs once in BVI, then Im free to re-register, etc (I suspect an interim agreement would be needed)?

Any thoughts on how this would work practically/steps involved?

Old 26-03-2014, 07:43   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: How to avoid delayed exit/difficulties after purchasing a yacht in another countr

The important thing is your registration.
You can only register in your country when you provide the originals of the de-flagging of the previous owner. Also the original builders certificate. Bills of sale to show a link of ownership.

As many people get slack with doing the paperwork after they have got the money, i would make the final payment conditional to receiving the full paperwork.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 07:51   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: How to avoid delayed exit/difficulties after purchasing a yacht in another countr

Hi NZ

From your previous posts you're a Kiwi so you will have to cancel the USCG paperwork. Not to be nitpicky but to avoid confusion, in the US this is correctly called USCG Documentation. Registration is a different procedure that is done in individual states. Depending on the boat and circumstances a state registration can be instead of or in addition to USCG Documentation.

Either way, non-US citizens are not allowed to Document a boat (you can state register but that doesn't seem to be relevant in your situation). There is a process with the USCG to cancel the documentation so you can register the boat in another country.

As far as exiting the DR without problems, it has been years since I have sailed that area but I have never had a problem entering or exiting anywhere in the Caribbean on a boat registered or documented to someone else. If you have a problem changing ownership, title and registration in the DR just get a letter (preferably signed and stamped with lots of official looking stamps and seals) from the owner giving you permission to sail the boat and check out.
Old 26-03-2014, 07:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
As many people get slack with doing the paperwork after they have got the money, i would make the final payment conditional to receiving the full paperwork.

Mark
Excellent suggestion. Have been on the wrong side of this issue before and it is a pain. Like you say, once the seller has the money their motivation to do any further work on the deal is gone.
Old 26-03-2014, 07:56   #5

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Having grown up in Latin America and travelled there many times since I would not be shy about greasing the way with a few extra dollars here and there. It can speed things up amazingly. You have to be tactful but it can work wonders.
Old 26-03-2014, 08:22   #6
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Well no one in their right mind is going to sign sales agreements and de-flagging without having fully sold the boat. If you want that protection , then you the buyer will need to set up a full ESCROW facility. few do.

Its never a problem, because once you are the owner, then you have full power to deflag and reflag the boat yourself, it doesn't require the PO to do it.

dave
Old 26-03-2014, 10:07   #7

Boat: Various

I would strongly recommend engaging a documentation agency in the process. They will be able to guide you step by step in the process as it relates to the old documentation, you documenting it where you wish, and clearing out of the DR appropriately. For instance, what type permit is it in the DR on? Does this allow it to be sold while there? The details are important so hire someone expert with those details. It's well spent money.
Old 26-03-2014, 11:53   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Its never a problem, because once you are the owner, then you have full power to deflag and reflag the boat yourself, it doesn't require the PO to do it.

dave
It certainly was a problem with my boat purchase!
The PO only was allowed to de flag it, and to apply for the original builders certificate. If the seller wasnt extremely diligent I could have be suck in the purchase port for ages. Many registration countries are very particular about the details as it can guarantee title. The Australian registration is one that does, so you better have all the paperwork spot on.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 06:53   #9

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft

About 18 months ago we were able to delete our boat from the USCG registry and register in Australia via AMSA with no cooperation from the seller. AMSA wanted the bill of sale and a statement of boats details (in lieu of the builders certificate) backed by the pre-sale survey. AMSA was very professional and a pleasure to work with.

Clearing out be a little problematic if the boat registration changes before you leave because the clearing in paperwork will be under a different registration.
Old 27-03-2014, 11:26   #10

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft

We recently met a pair of New Zealanders in Jamaica sailing a USCG documented boat, purchased by an Australian. They had no problem (so far) showing the US documentation... although the Jamaican customs officer did ask them to replace the New Zealand flag they were flying with the stars and stripes!

Tags
purchasing, yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: