Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-02-2012, 08:27   #46

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: How Old is Too Old to Learn to Sail ?

I will be 65 in 2 months and had a Snark sailboat I sailed on inland lakes when I was in high school. Didn't really know anything about sailing as in Tennessee during the late 50's, early 60's sailing was limited to a small group on Kentucky Lake - but I didn't know anything about it. At 50, I decided to get into sailing again and my wife and I bought a new Hunter 260. We traded that in on a new Hunter 356 in 2003 and are now on our 10th season at Kentucky Lake on it - 15th season on the lake. I have sailed extensively on Kentucky Lake and made several trips offshore in SW Florida to Dry Tortugas, Key West and Charlotte Harbor area on friends boats and rentals from Burnt Store.

Was with a crew of 4 that took a Cabo Rico 38 from Kentucky Lake down the Tenn-Tom to the Gulf and to Punta Gorda. You are way too young to develop limits. Go for it.

Old 16-02-2012, 08:42   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not think there is such a thing as 'too old'.

Still, you must consider the obvious: we learn slower as we get older, we get less nimble, our stamina is lower. The good news is our budget is usually higher!

I think you should start sailing immediatelly - get into it NOW. Get a small dink, a windsurfer, a Mirror, join a sailing club, go ice-sailing, read, learn, mix up with the sailing crowd NOW.

Then, when you decide you do want to go for it, you will already be half way there, or beyond.

I am always (well, nearly) against the 'go now' urban knowledge. But I say do NOW as much as you can towards your tomorrow's adventure and you will be a better, happier and safer sailor further down the road.

Cheers,
barnie

Old 16-02-2012, 12:00   #48

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

For easyer sail handeling you can also try junk rig
better for jibes etc. less standing rigging and strings to pull.
Old 16-02-2012, 20:22   #49

Boat: 1970 morgan 28

and better on the "vibes" lol later gumby/zenkayaker
Old 16-02-2012, 23:18   #50

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

If you dont have sailing ability or sea savvy.

Go out fishing on motorised fishing charters, they only go out a couple of miles at the most,

Not Marlon fishing, Etc, Just small fish, Whatever they have on your seas,

Study the ocean from the deck while your fishing, It will tell you a lot about the waves and what they do,

Ask the crew on board to tell you what it all means,
It will surprise you what these people can teach you,

You May find that the ocean does not appeal to you,

This is a quick way to find out.

If you want to know some thing else about the ocean, Just come on here and ask,

You will get answers from some extremely knowledgable people,

You will also get the jokers, Have a laugh,

You will also get answers from people on here who I dont think have ever seen a sea. Hahahahahahaha

Help your self, Its all on Here, But you have to look for it,

63 in skin, Coming onto 13 in the mind.
I Ride One of the fastest motorcylces ever made, On the road.
I downhill snow ski.
I dance rockabilly, Rock and Roll.

Old people are the ones that are incapable of physicall Excersion in any way,

Just totally worn themselves out, Thats what I call old, And lying on your death bed,

Hahahahahahahaha

Cheers,
Brian,
Old 11-10-2012, 09:32   #51

Boat: Lafitte 44

When your dead you are too old.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:37   #52
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

dead is week to old.....
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:43   #53

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Mr B and xeon_tsd... well said! I'm in my mid 70's and still sail, do the odd bit of chartering, drive boats for other folks and just bought a new pair of powder skis for the upcoming season. Back fusions, bypass surgeries and broken bones slow you down a bit but don't keep you down. If you're not livin' on the edge, you're takin' up too much room!
Old 11-10-2012, 09:49   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

two of my neighbors are in their 80s and still single handing long passages--i am impressed, but then my uncle did the solo sailor thing until he died at home in his 95th year..he was same age as his gaff rigged sloop
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:54   #55

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im 74 and Connie and I just made an offer on a 51 ft staysail ketch. I will sail this boat till they take me off her dead! a day under sail takws a day off your age ! at least it feels that way to me ! And I have a steel hip and knee !! Today is not to early to start ! Just my 2 cents
Old 11-10-2012, 11:09   #56
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
I will be 65 in 2 months and had a Snark sailboat I sailed on inland lakes when I was in high school. Didn't really know anything about sailing as in Tennessee during the late 50's, early 60's sailing was limited to a small group on Kentucky Lake - but I didn't know anything about it. At 50, I decided to get into sailing again and my wife and I bought a new Hunter 260. We traded that in on a new Hunter 356 in 2003 and are now on our 10th season at Kentucky Lake on it - 15th season on the lake. I have sailed extensively on Kentucky Lake and made several trips offshore in SW Florida to Dry Tortugas, Key West and Charlotte Harbor area on friends boats and rentals from Burnt Store.

Was with a crew of 4 that took a Cabo Rico 38 from Kentucky Lake down the Tenn-Tom to the Gulf and to Punta Gorda. You are way too young to develop limits. Go for it.

MAYBE we learn slower. I seem to have picked it up pretty quickly, and esp. with living on the boat, my legs (born with cp, weak and poorly coordinated legs) are better than they've ever been.

I have muscle definition in my arms I haven't had since I was 10 and did a lot of swimming (arms doing 90% of the work), and I actually have muscle definition in my LEGS. Amazing.

Don't be stupid about it; probably not a good sport for someone with osteoporosis as the risk of falls is real, but they have figured out how to set up boats so quadraplegics can sail them. Age? small potatoes by comparison.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:00   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

no such thing as too old to learn as far as I'm concerned. You may feel differently, though... Having said that, maybe what I should have said is, "I'll let you know when I get there".. Might be awhile as I'm only 65..

IF you're not able to learn as well as you age try this

http://www.coconutketones.com/

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:48   #58

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatgirl View Post
I grew up on a charter fishing boat. I really love the water and yearn for sleeping aboard a boat with the water near my cheek.

I have been dreaming of sailing since my first sail in 2005. I am 35 and my husband is 40. I don't think we would be in a position to get our own boat for another few years, but I wonder if this is 'too old' to even begin such a venture. I feel there is alot to learn, and maybe I am sound like a wimp here, lol... But never have sailed ourselves before, how difficult is it to learn as adults if one has not been around actual sailing? We both grew up on the water and on boats, but never sailboats. Our dream is to have a boat large enough to spend long amounts of time on..and maybe even sail around the world a time or two.

As you can tell, we are rather new to this culture.

Thanks for any advice or tips!

Peaceful waters and exciting adventures, Brandi
My thoughts on it is your never to old but start as soon as possible. The wife and I are 40 and have sailing classes scheduled for November. Already have a club in mind to get our daysil experience built up so when we buy in 4 to 6 years we will be ready. In 10 to 15 years we will be able to retire and see more of the world, until then the Carribean will have to do.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:29   #59

Boat: 1970 morgan 28

ahoy couch potatoe !!!! sailing is for those who like motion,not debating,that is for the politico's lol.if you own/lease a sail boat "cast-off the lines ,point her at the harbor mouth and raise sail[unless ya have a job],then ya gotta come back!!! if not only your experience and your wallet ,can hold you back[maybe a wife]just my 2 copper's of thinking.good sailing to you !!!! both water&air are free ENJOY the day .later from the MOKEN ,currently near wash DC .
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29   #60
POH

Boat: Lagoon 420, Duncanson 29, Laser

My answer assumes you are both relatively fit. Despite the appearance of some 'sailors' in the yacht club bars, being fit really helps making sailing (and learning to sail) easier!

Your ages are not an issue at all. The real question I think you should be asking is "what is the best way to learn to sail as an adult".

So ... I'll answer that question instead:

1) Take some paid lessons on a small sport keelboat - this will give you the basics in a safe & controlled environment;

2) if you want to race, start crewing on keelboats;

3) make your first boat a dinghy (the WETA trimarans actually look perfect for this for people who are a little older/less nimble). You might get a bit wet, but it's a) much cheaper to buy/run/store and b) much more demanding re: learning to sail properly than buying a small/medium keelboat. And if you don't like it, they hold their resale value pretty well.

4) if you are thinking of cruising together, charter or sign up for a delivery trip (not as good an option, but cheaper).

5) if all the above still make you want to cruise, buy a yacht (cat or keelboat) that is small enough for the two of you to handle comfortably and head off.

Though, of course, you could always try just diving in head-first, buying a boat and leaving shore. A number of good voyages have started off that way. Steep learning curve, but if you like adventure, go for it!

POH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: