Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-07-2012, 10:15   #16

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: How Much Does One Tip the Launch Driver?

I usually don't tip "dock hands" unless they did something above and beyond normal. There is a blond at my fuel dock who always wears a bikini and pumps the fuel (even though it is self serve) I always tip her.....it's a nice view. I would tip a kid driving the launch a buck or two. Don't know why the difference, but I'm not always rational anyway.

Old 26-07-2012, 10:24   #17

Don't often use a launch service but, when I do I tip a buck on the return trip to the boat. I follow the don't pay the ferryman rule.
Also tip a buck at the fuel dock if they handle the lines.
I don't wind up at a dock too often but, if I do a buck goes to each dock hand that handles a line. Likewise if they deliver a bag of ice to the boat.

Old 26-07-2012, 11:22   #18

Boat: Heritage East 40

I tip for pump out and for my line handlers. They come running.

5 bucks per hand. Tip gets the service and they look out for my boat when I am at work or weather comes up.
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 12:43   #19

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32 ft

Do you REALLY need to ask this question? Would you ever take a taxi and stiff the driver, assuming the ride was satisfactory? How about a bartender that gives you fine service? A launch driver is a USCG LICENSED individual that is payed VERY minimal wages with the understanding that providing good service will result in tips. I mean if what your looking for is a ride to your boat and you get there in a reasonable time, safe and sound.....thats GOOD service. What else would you expect from them. Dinner and a song? Tipping is the custom in this country for good service from service providers. Of course the launch driver should get a tip. Thats why he's working.
Old 26-10-2012, 12:51   #20

In the case of a launch I would tip a buck or two. I would AT LEAST pay what the service would cost if I was not being charged for the trip itself.
Old 26-10-2012, 23:29   #21
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

Throw the kids a couple of bucks! They are serving you and your needs.
Old 27-10-2012, 01:44   #22

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Strange conversation for us Kiwis. We are taught not accept a tip and to give good service regardless of another's status, and, employers are expected to pay a fair wage.(Comes from the Gospels.)
Most of us are also uncomfortable about kids knocking on doors at halloween.
No doubt you guys are equally uncomfortable about doing it our way. Generosity, sharing your good fortune etc.(Also comes from the gospels.)
Old 27-10-2012, 01:54   #23
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

Showing a little generosity goes a long way, for the people who serve you, it is not mandatory and if you can't afford it then you shouldn't feel obligated, it doesn't hurt to share your good fortune. If you can spend a buck on a newspaper every day, then you won't notice a buck for the launch driver. It doesn't have to be cash, just some kind of gesture to let them know they are not being taken for granted.
Old 27-10-2012, 02:35   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44

You're talking about the US of A where there may not be a lot of choice.

Here in Oz tipping is not (as far as I know) part of the boating culture -i.e. no one tips.

When in the US I found it very hard to come to terms with tipping. The concept that someone would work for what they can get above the agreed price is beyond my experience. We came back with substantial travel monies unspent.

I have never tipped anyone for a boat ride.

As a general rule I would not patronage any establishment that did not pay it's employees a fair wage.
Old 27-10-2012, 02:55   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
As a general rule I would not patronage any establishment that did not pay it's employees a fair wage.
Well, never get a drink or buy food in the USA then. Pretty much all servers are paid minimum wage (although there are actually exceptions so they usually make (far) LESS than min wage) and in the US I think our minimum wage is about 1/2 of AU. http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/complian...m#.UIuioGl24oM

Servers can make as little as $2.13/hr how awesome is that!?

Further, in the US if you pay with a credit card, and don't tip, you're actually taking money FROM the server because they are automatically taxed assuming a 10% gratuity on the entire bill, which is why they tend to get pissy when they get a 10% tip on a $200 order.
Old 27-10-2012, 15:35   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44

I'll admit to patronizing takeaways and small family owned restaurants while in the US. Always left a small tip to say "Thanks".

Most of the other food came from supermarkets. Lots of excellent ready to go food. Never gave a tip. Ate in the local park. Very nice. Never rains in California.

To work out how much to tip a launch driver one needs to know how much he's paid and how many passengers he carries each day. Shouldn't be too hard to work out a fair wage. Anything on top of that is for service above and beyond the call of duty.

I think it's a bad system. We had a problem with a tour bus company that wanted a 15% tip in top of the advertised price, and gave bad service to boot. If I'd realised beforehand it would have been almost cheaper and much better to take a taxi halfway across LA and to pay the entrance to Universal when we got there.
Old 27-10-2012, 15:58   #27

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

If service is bad I don't tip, but I the let the person know in a kind manner what was wrong and how it could be improved. If service is good I tip. Sometimes I will add a little for others in the boat who I know are a bit short of cash and can not tip themselves. The amount varies. Maybe 10%, maybe 20%, maybe limited by the number of dollar bills in my wallet because I have never figured out how to discretly ask for change back from a 20.
Old 28-10-2012, 21:10   #28

Boat: Alberg 30

The whole tipping things kind of baffles me. Nobody tips guys doing hard labor damaging their health and risking injury for a couple bucks an hour more than minimum wage, but they tip the waiter/waitress at minimum wage enough to double the hard labor's wages, when the work is way easier, and the time spent on each customer is a few minutes instead of hours, days or weeks.

That said, I do end up tipping always but it does irk me sometimes. My friend as a waitress still makes around double what I do, and I consider myself well paid now, but it took about 10 years of work, injuries and health problems to get here so it seems unfair, but so is life, easiest to go with the flow and not get too riled up over it.

I do tip the pump out operator usually though they charge 5$/press of the button so it usually costs me about a dollar a gallon anyways, and if they don't hook up right and suck air I still get to pay for it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: