Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 12:34   #16

Re: How important are looks when buying?

IMO form should follow function. Still it's nice when someone says "Your boat looks ****ing awesome!"
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 06:57   #17

Boat: contessa 32
Re: How important are looks when buying?

Sailing is one of the most beautiful endeavors in which humans are involved. A lovely craft just further enhances the synthesis of Man ,Machine and Nature.

I don't enjoy poetry recited with a heavy Brooklyn (Cockney) accent either.

..........................Love you all, no matter what your accent!............mike.............
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 07:28   #18

Re: How Important are Looks when Buying?

mrohr,
Now why would anyone expect that you love beautiful sailing boats when you sail one of the loveliest 32 footers ever designed, such a timeless design, the go anywhere Contessa 32.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 07:34   #19

It's a lot like girlfriends/wives/cars.

You can go for a hot one that's high maintenance and high entry costs, or you can go with one that meets your needs, is lower maintenance, and has more reasonable costs.

If you go with the hot one, you'll enjoy the compliments, and maybe even catch yourself fishing for them and bragging a little about how hot she is. After all, that's part of the payoff. Most of the time there is a cost that you'll be paying for that, though there are some exceptions.

What really matters is how she looks to you, and your relationship with her. You can love any type, as they all have their way, which you'll get after a while. Even the butt-ugly ones.

You just might find that the one you really love isn't the one that first drew your attention and gets whistles on the street, but the one that manages to grab your heart without the bells and whistles.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 07:35   #20

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

You'd better LOVE her because she'll turn into an evil bitch many many times.
Old 14-01-2014, 19:48   #21

Boat: Tartan 40
Only as important as you think it is, and highly subjective.

Yes I enjoy looking at my boat as I swim or dinghy nearby, and enjoy the stares and compliments.
Be happy as well though with a more standard boat that also looks nice (like a jeanneau or Catalina- ). My dislike for hunters is not based on build as all post here. I personally can't stand the look of most of them except for older Cherubini ones. Must be genetic wiring or something but many look like they were designed purposely ugly on the outside (perhaps to divert attention to the nice interiors?)

Again this is all subjective- just like attractions to our wives/partners. Different things appeal to others.

I will say- don't buy a boat YOU think is ugly. You will always feel ashamed. But if YOU like the looks then who cares what others think.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 17:41   #22

Boat: beneteau OC 352

my vote is get the most attractive boat you can afford with as little maintenance as possible.. as much as I enjoy/ don't mind doing everything that goes with typical ownership, id much rather be bobbing around with a cocktail or a beer in my hand.. I do agree with markj about looks being irrelevant but come on, lets be honest, NO ONE looks across the room at the guy/ girl with the muffin top and no front teeth and says " yea, that's the one for me".. hey mark, if I recall correctly, you own a bene 42..and I bet your wife has all her teeth.. but its irrelevant.. LOL
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, import