Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-07-2016, 10:06   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: How do you stay safe during your trip?

i worked nursing emergency, icu, and other critical care areas for over 30 years
never felt safer than out here cruising.
i have only one time needed to lock boat.

this life is what you make it. all is matter of choices. live in fear, be always in fear.
EXPERIENCE life and LIVE.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 10:30   #17

Boat: hunter

I've heard of people who were well armed and while the boat was in the yard had their "items" stolen. No one on board and Didn't do them much good

Old 14-07-2016, 10:42   #18

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

We had a guy observing us in Foxtown Bahama's and when we left he began to follow us. After a while he started to close and when he did I came on deck with a 30/30! He almost immediately veered off and headed back toward Foxtown! My motto is better armed than sorry.
Old 14-07-2016, 13:03   #19

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

We carried nothing more more than wasp spray, stun gun flashlight combo, fish club, and 12 ga flare gun). Wasp spray shoots wide stream 20-25 feet and is as good in incapacitating humans as mace in the eyes and shoots 10x farther. Plus those little mace cans are empty after a very short burst. No need to declare going in/ out of countries. You can totally stop 1-10 people from coming below/ or approaching your bunk at night. Then depending on judgement... then the option of fish bat' in the closet for a more permanent defense. I also have a flashlight that has 'stun gun' contacts on front edge of the lens/ reflector. Looks like normal flashlight but will put anyone on their butt with one quick push button (2" spark & loud snap- snap-snap). You do have to be close enough to reach them. But you can go from 'talking' distance to being in control via element of surprise if needed. Flare gun for threatening / approaching boat/ especially after dark... coming up behind you while sailing. First flare low over their bow as warming, if they continue... next flare onto their deck. It splatters/ sticks all over/ burns everything it splatters on (aggressors clothing, canvus, fiberglass, wood). Water does not put it out... I never carried an actual classic firearm. Brother did and what a pain to declare/ remove and have to go back to that check-in location before leaving to reclaim. If you get caught w/ firearms that you did not declare they can/ and do impound your boat... often taking weeks/ months to resolve and BIG fines... they have a 'license' to cut open your boat looking for more weapons/ drugs. Not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-07-2016, 15:06   #20

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx
Question Re: How do you stay safe during your trip?

Keep a dog on board. Noise may bother the neighboring boat, but the first time a pirouge cruises through the anchorage at 3:00 AM, everyone is grateful for the warning.

We live on our cat and the easiest way onto the boat is via the sterns. We keep infrared sensors that turn on spotlights if some one approaches after dark. There is also an loud obnoxious alarm that sounds if someone approaches within 25 feet. Both have an initial 1 minute delay upon activation, so you can get off the boat and not trip the alarm. It does go off when you return to the boat, but that assures me it is working.
Old 14-07-2016, 15:15   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To the OP:

CF member Mark J posted a picture of the grille he had made to keep out intruders in the Caribbean. It is an area with a record of some violence in certain places, and it seems that what he had made was a prudent and practical precaution. Maybe someone else can provide the link. It is something i would consider if I were in that area.

Ann
Old 14-07-2016, 15:57   #22
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3GAC View Post
We carried nothing more more than wasp spray, stun gun flashlight combo, fish club, and 12 ga flare gun). Wasp spray shoots wide stream 20-25 feet and is as good in incapacitating humans as mace in the eyes and shoots 10x farther. Plus those little mace cans are empty after a very short burst. No need to declare going in/ out of countries. You can totally stop 1-10 people from coming below/ or approaching your bunk at night. Then depending on judgement... then the option of fish bat' in the closet for a more permanent defense. I also have a flashlight that has 'stun gun' contacts on front edge of the lens/ reflector. Looks like normal flashlight but will put anyone on their butt with one quick push button (2" spark & loud snap- snap-snap). You do have to be close enough to reach them. But you can go from 'talking' distance to being in control via element of surprise if needed. Flare gun for threatening / approaching boat/ especially after dark... coming up behind you while sailing. First flare low over their bow as warming, if they continue... next flare onto their deck. It splatters/ sticks all over/ burns everything it splatters on (aggressors clothing, canvus, fiberglass, wood). Water does not put it out... I never carried an actual classic firearm. Brother did and what a pain to declare/ remove and have to go back to that check-in location before leaving to reclaim. If you get caught w/ firearms that you did not declare they can/ and do impound your boat... often taking weeks/ months to resolve and BIG fines... they have a 'license' to cut open your boat looking for more weapons/ drugs. Not worth the risk.

in reality, out here, when **** happens, this what you wrote aint what ye gonna do. wind happens. no wasp spray in wind. yeah right you are really gonna dance around until you have correct wind attitude, ask guy to hold tf still and then spray.....right in to your own eyes.
wanna know the reality?? you will give intruders what they request and then call authorities as you were directed when ye checked into country.
the deal is to PREVENT any interruption in your enjoyment of cruising.
prevent.
the best defense is a good offense.
remember that quote???
it is more than accurate for all facets of our lives
when laptop or cell breaks, strip them of data and info and chips and put each into a decoy bag. when you are in unknown isolated waters, put these in obvious locales as if in use. d e c o y. keep em shiny as if they were primary machine....
everything we do in life is a choice. also a gamble. never gamble more than you can afford to lose.
shiny attracts rats.
many sayings to cover prevention as the way to go. pretty much universal
keep eyes open. be aware, not fearful, but assertive.
be polite to locals and donot flaunt wealth. even out owning a boat is a show of wealth to most. we are privileged. we are also guests in their nation. proper guests break bread together. do not isolate into groupings of like appearance. the fishermen keep eye on the visitors and will take special care of the boats of friends-- helping reanchor in case of dragging, finding a free tuna steak..underwater work..is mutual assistance. walking thru town to reprovision, smile and say hi to folks.. a dios works.
the best protection i have found is friendship with the local fishing cooperativa. as a sola female not only do i find best assistants but the best restaurants for authentic mexican cooked traditional for the estado cuisine. my absolute favorite.
each estado has an individual style of cooking. is great fun to travel in mexico. the locals everywhere are so friendly and welcoming. the more rural the better.
immersion spanish.
oh yeah--if you depend on őr wish to use pick up crew for anything-- these fishermen also sail and do other things than fish. where ye think i find my involuntary ... err ever so willing and knowledgeable crew...and engine rebuilders and machinists and carpenters and injector pump builders~~~~

yeah they watch over me and my boat and cat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 17:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3GAC View Post

Nice urban myth, but wasp spray will do nothing to the assailant and likely will get you arrested. Look on the can sometime. So for all you folks out there do not use wasp sprays, ant sprays, or other insecticides. Its a felony offense to start with and will do nothing to protect you; might even get you killed for irritating the assailant.
Old 14-07-2016, 17:51   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krit View Post
How do you protect yourself from all the troubles, caused by human, during your trip, especially in the open sea and foreign waters? Thanks in advance for your kind suggestion.
I make it a point to always agree with my wife.
Old 14-07-2016, 18:45   #25

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

wash hands before eating
Old 14-07-2016, 19:08   #26

Just a little note: Many of the things that people are suggesting as defensive tools are extremely illegal in many countries. Stuff that's ho-hum in the USA will land you in jail just for possession. Declare guns when you check in, but don't assume that everything else is legal. It all depends on where you go.

As for the other stuff, I second washing hands if you can!
Old 14-07-2016, 20:05   #27

Boat: Under construction

Wear sunscreen and a hat. Wear clean undies in case you get hit by a bus. Carry change for the telephone tied up in the corner of your hanky so you dont lose it. Brush your teeth at least once a day. Smile even if you dont mean it. If you cant say something nice dont say anything at all. Keep your socks dry or your feet will rot and fall off. Dont play in traffic. Be home before the street lights turn on
Old 14-07-2016, 21:33   #28

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krit View Post
Zeehag, I mean both at anchor and while sailing.
Still wear a condom, Saigon Rose can swim like a fish and readily migrates tens of thousands of miles..
Old 14-07-2016, 23:47   #29

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

for personal safety against human threat, while at anchor, I would strongly suggest a dog. He will give you early warning. While on sailing in hostile waters, it is a good idea to sail as a group and not all alone. You may delay your departure a bit but you will certainly find few other sailboats who want to make the same passage.
Finally, in friendly waters, if there is a hostile guy, you should consider a fire arm that you are willing to fire, or some other short of weapon, like an archery bow
Old 15-07-2016, 02:08   #30

Boat: 68 tartan 34c

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
We had a guy observing us in Foxtown Bahama's and when we left he began to follow us. After a while he started to close and when he did I came on deck with a 30/30! He almost immediately veered off and headed back toward Foxtown! My motto is better armed than sorry.
We slipped into Foxtown to buy some fuel. There was a shady looking guy hanging out by the pumps. I asked him if there was anywhere near I could by some fuel line for the boat. He said there was not, but he had some at his house down the road. We jumped in his car, rummaged around under his house, found the fuel line. He refused any compensation. Like most locals I found him to be kind and giving.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: