Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-10-2015, 18:06   #46

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: How Do You Afford the Cruising Lifestyle? What's Your Story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Exactly!

Many people are looking for an escape. That's fine.

Sailing / cruising full time would be a big adjustment for most especially those without boating experience.

I saw lots of it when in Florida from folks that were totally clueless after they had their boat exactly the way they wanted it after years preparing BUT not sailing and others that just motored the Intracoastal.

I've seen sailors prepare for years for "The Cruising Life" sailing all the time but they sometimes last only 6 months.

Many come and anchor near populated beach areas only to hear at 11pm Jones party of 6 your table is ready!
I get the impression these comments are not directed at the OP.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:59   #47

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
I get the impression these comments are not directed at the OP.
They were directed at anyone that "thinks" the cruising life will be right for them and I'm included in that group. I've seen way too many beautiful boats that never leave the marinas.

A boat is a very small thing to live on full time. Being on the water is not always exciting so you need a plan. Then there's the weather, wind, waves, and lack of sleep (and sometimes seasickness)

My plan will include hiking, cycling, running (when possible), reading plus working maybe in a boat yard etc. Anything outside and nonmilitary

You have seen our beautiful weather these last three weeks. We will finally see the Sun for real on Tuesday and winds less than Gale force and not out of the Northeast at which time I plan to start prepping for a 4 day "voyage" North.

Today's land weather report:

http://www.weather.com/weather/today...+VA+23455:4:US

The liveaboards at our dock have about had it with the wind and rain and they are tied to the dock. What if you were at anchor?

I'm just pointing out to the OP (and anyone else that thinks the cruising life is a great escape from the daily grind) that it isn't all sunshine, and if it is, it can get very hot and stay that way for months.

I was lucky enough to get transferred to the Gulf Coast in 1996. I got a good education on where many folks sail to on their boats from up North in Summer! It gets extremely hot there in summer. I also saw that many of the boats "cruised" the Intracoastal when you had some pretty nice doable stretches that could have been done on the outside which is extremely beautiful and you get to see each town/city along the way .....Panama City (Beach), Ft Walton Beach, Navarre, Pensacola, Perdido Key, Alabama Gulf Shores to name a few and all the activity on the beaches

When we raced along there, the cranes building the high rise condos were good indicators of our progress since we didn't have instruments

Old 06-10-2015, 09:05   #48

Thumbs up Re: How Do You Afford the Cruising Lifestyle? What's Your Story?

I too wanted to cruise,but learned I needed to save first, After much research, I concluded that 401k's & Stocks were risky ( Berne Madoff ?) I went with Vanguard Mutual Funds, High Yeld Industrial Bond fund (currently 4.5%) Pays monthly to you or reinvest in this fund many others, (Speak to a rep, toll free, for more info, also look at mixed funds stocks & bonds such as Star Fund Pays quarterly Higher int. rates!!! You might consider a small trailer able small boat, No marina fee's & develope sailing skills, Don, Raggedy Ann, Caliber 33
Old 06-10-2015, 09:33   #49

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

22 y/o with ptsd from a family relationship problem and burned out -- BS -- let me tell you know what ptsd is -- it is my 24 yo USMC son coming home after 2 back to back tours in Iraq and could not sleep and got a bit edgy but now is an ee and just passed his pe as he got it together

get it together and be an man by God -- it is not the glossy magazine life that they like to portray out here. there are no dancing girls waiting for you on the beach, you get to sail 6 months or so and sit waiting out either hurricane season or winter -

if you want to escape it all take you 6 figures go to the keys and be a beach bum and just hang out -- you will do well there

just my opinion
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 19:40   #50

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38

I'm a commercial sailor. I work rotations on and off so in my off time I can go and cruise.
Old 14-10-2015, 20:57   #51

Boat: FP, Saba 50. 16m

Hi

Consider an alternative option for now and something that would give another career option.

Use some of the funds to train as a Yachtmaster, get your STCW95, etc, etc and then take a job on a superyacht or skippered charter yacht. This will be work but also a degree of pleasure, gets you into the yacht scene and builds your skills up as well as earning a little money.

If you then add instructor ability to your qualifications you can cruise and take charter or training clients to fund your lifestyle.

Crp
Old 15-10-2015, 04:47   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Crp.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 01:05   #53

Boat: Morris Frances 26

Hello,

My best advise, forget about an expensive catamaran. Buy a $20K boat, like someone else suggested, and go cruising. Keep some money for when you come back.

I bought a 26 footer and should be leaving before the end of the year. My budget will be $500 per month, a thousand if I am lucky. I will be leaving with zero savings but well equipped and prepared. Being a programmer, I can work while traveling, albeit not as easily or as much. Bottom line is, I am leaving anyway.. Being alone, a bigger boat would be a hindrance.

I don't think cruising is about how much you have, but how much you can do without; for me anyway, and I plan on having a good time.

Gil.
Old 16-10-2015, 06:25   #54

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
I don't think cruising is about how much you have, but how much you can do without; for me anyway, and I plan on having a good time.
Agree.

Less is More.
Old 16-10-2015, 06:56   #55

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Well, yes, there are a lot if ways to accomplish your dreams. But you have to decide if you are willing to step away from your middle class life with its middle class luxuries and middle class fears and ideals. By some of the comments on this thread, I think a lot of people can't make the mental shift. But if you can, or a willing to try, there is a whole life out there that can be accomplished and loved!

Where are your priorities? That's the question to focus on! What will help you go forward to accomplish the #1 and #2 spots on your list?
Financing your priorities is a far different question than how others finance their priorities!
Old 16-10-2015, 09:22   #56

Boat: Actively searching for one...

IMO, the greatest difficulty is reaching the adequate balance of leisure time and $/, and those magnitudes are usually inversely proportional.

Where I live, there is a marina with 1.400 moorings (mostly occupied). But you'll only see some movement (and not much, anyway) in fair weather weekends. A friend of mine who owns a rather sizable motor yacht says that the operational costs per sailing hour are comparable to those of the space shuttle...
Old 16-10-2015, 09:47   #57

How does one afford the cruising lifestyle?

Which type of cruising lifestyle? There is a HUGE spread in incomes on this board.

Cruisers that just get by, even work here and there while cruising OR the rich guys and gals who cruise in huge 7 figure luxury yachts.

You know the type.....rich silver spoon trust fund babies, those that are inheritors of great wealth, marry rich, get incredibly lucky in business/real estate or the financial markets.

It's also possible, but highly unlikely that at least one or two on this Forum actually worked hard for a living to earn their wealth...like writing best selling novels. Now how hard are can THAT be????.
Old 16-10-2015, 11:49   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
But you have to decide if you are willing to step away from your middle class life with its middle class luxuries and middle class fears and ideals.
Nonsense. You don't HAVE to step away from a middle class life to be able to cruise. It is entirely possible to enjoy both.

That's really the main point here. Different people have different priorities, and can end up cruising for different reasons and in different ways. There isn't just one path to it, and one way is not any better than any other way.

You do what works for you. It's that simple.
Old 20-10-2015, 13:02   #59

Boat: hopefully a cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Well, yes, there are a lot if ways to accomplish your dreams. But you have to decide if you are willing to step away from your middle class life with its middle class luxuries and middle class fears and ideals. By some of the comments on this thread, I think a lot of people can't make the mental shift. But if you can, or a willing to try, there is a whole life out there that can be accomplished and loved!
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Nonsense. You don't HAVE to step away from a middle class life to be able to cruise. It is entirely possible to enjoy both.

That's really the main point here. Different people have different priorities, and can end up cruising for different reasons and in different ways. There isn't just one path to it, and one way is not any better than any other way.

You do what works for you. It's that simple.

While I agree with denverd0n that you don't have to step away from the middle class to be able to cruise, I would certainly like to make the shift. The whole point of this post is to see how/what paths different people took to cruise.

Sea Dreaming, speaking of making a mental shift (I immediately thought of Robert Kiyosaki), would you care to share your story? I'd love to hear and learn how you've stepped out of your comfort zone into another "reality". Honestly, I am growing impatient of where I am today, but have no idea (yet) where to dive right in.

Again, thanks for all of your responses!
Old 20-10-2015, 14:03   #60

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited View Post
While I agree with denverd0n that you don't have to step away from the middle class to be able to cruise, I would certainly like to make the shift. The whole point of this post is to see how/what paths different people took to cruise.

Sea Dreaming, speaking of making a mental shift (I immediately thought of Robert Kiyosaki), would you care to share your story? I'd love to hear and learn how you've stepped out of your comfort zone into another "reality". Honestly, I am growing impatient of where I am today, but have no idea (yet) where to dive right in.

Again, thanks for all of your responses!
It's very interesting to me that this thread has taken this particular drift at this particular time as just this past weekend my husband and I decided to accelerate our retirement date to June 2016 and are now dealing with figuring out what compromises will have to be made to make this happen.

We had originally planned to retire in 2018 when both our grandchildren were done with high school (we help our daughter who is a single mother and has significant health issues) and when my husband had reached a certain seniority point. Then the school that he was principal of closed in 2014 and he suffered a stall in his career so we decided to make some adjustments and do it in 2017. Another turn of events just happened with my job and now we'd like to do it next June. This will require more adjustments, both in budget and in expectations for the boat.

At each one of these decision points we had to look at what concessions we were willing to make to buy that extra year of freedom.

Retirement in 2018 would have basically been without any financial liability, no debt, a very comfortable retirement income, and a boat that was fit out exactly the way we wanted with no expense needing to be spared and plenty of time to complete every project to our liking. Even with occasional assistance to the kids we would be very comfortable and able to do pretty much whatever we chose.

Moving it up to 2017 meant a slightly less comfortable income with further budgeting necessary to make sure we would still be able to help our daughter and grandchildren for at least one more year and after that when the need arose. In real terms this wouldn't mean any hardship per se, but maybe less nights in expensive marinas, or fewer "side vacations." There still wouldn't be any compromises on the boat and little, if any, debt.

Going this June will probably mean we take a little debt with us, we still have 2 more years to help with the kids, our pensions will be even smaller, and there are a few things we would like for the boat that might have to wait awhile. There are some things that we had planned to do to the boat that are time and labor intensive that I probably won't get to in time to head south in the fall of next year. Maybe now that first winter in Florida will be spent finishing up some of the projects we didn't have time for and less cruising the islands or travel away from the boat.

For us it is a matter of determining the exchange value of our time at each point in the process. When life was completely comfortable and enjoyable here ashore and with our jobs, hanging here for 3 more years and just enjoying our boat in the off time seemed perfectly fine and was a small price to pay with all we were accomplishing and the security we were establishing for our future. But with each undesirable or uncomfortable development that occurred here, the sacrifices on the other side of the equation became much less significant in comparison.

It's a weighing and measuring game for every individual. Each person comes to it from a different perspective, financially and in terms of life experience and expectations. And an individual can have a different outlook at different stages of life. Things that would have been fun and exciting at 25 may seem like an unreasonable sacrifice at 55 or 65. A job that was a challenge and a passion at 50 may have become a ball and chain by 60. And then there's that health thing. Once you come face to face, in the form of illness or just the aches, pains, and limitations of growing older, with the fact that you aren't going to be strong enough to do this forever you can start to put a higher value on the decreasing window of time you have and a lesser value on the material wealth you might miss by grabbing the opportunity while it is still there.

Of course that only applies to some people. Others have the means to have it all without compromise. We are not them.

There is truly no "one size fits all."

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: