Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2018, 04:01   #106
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Help Me Pay My Way (Well, Not Quite ... )

This seems to have gone past being a useful discussion
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:55   #107

Boat: a sailing boat

BIOLOGICALLY?

Yes. They are different!

They are mostly obese and shortsighted. Very unfit, as a group, I would say. This will be a major problem to future taxtpayers when this generation reaches 35 and starts receiving disability support.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 06:58   #108

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

But I don’t think actual sailors and cruisers are the real market for these vids. Just like cruising mags mostly cater to the planners and cubicle-dreamers, so too with these videos.
I tried watching delos, and they were driving a car up the same mountain I had hiked up. boring
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 10:17   #109

Boat: Catalina 25 TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Youtube is the new cable TV. People who complain about content-creators wanting / asking for VOLUNTARY contributions for what amounts to lots of hard, expensive work for people to view for free are probably the same people who ask graphic designers and professional photographers to work for them "for the exposure".
Wait.....you mean you can't pay bills with "exposure" dollars?!? The people who appreciate creativity/art understand why funding artists is worth it, YouTube channels included. I'll never understand how people criticize how others choose to spend their disposable income money.
'84 Catalina 25 #4520
S/V Shamrock 5
x_HoldFast_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:56   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanpol View Post
sv zingaro is the example,,,, for 50$ you wiill get a we love you on youtube,,
drug dealing or prostitution is a more honnest way to make money¡¡¡¡
Ha! They're the only one I support. I watch Delos and Vagabonde as well, but I feel like they're pretty well set and don't really need my additional support. Zingaro, with their ripped sails, look like they could actually use the help. I think what we're really hearing here is simply jealously. I felt like I was looking forward to the next Zingaro episode more than anything else available to watch. The guy is funny and reminds me of myself, and I hope to be doing the same as him someday. He shows that it's possible for the everyman if you're willing to put in some sweat equity. Hell, he even does some instructional type videos. Easy solution, if you don't like it, don't watch. I have a feeling he would say the same.

Regarding the OP. If you're reading someone's blog for free, ostensibly getting some enjoyment out of it (otherwise why would you keep reading it?) but then want to complain when they have the audacity to ask for a voluntary contribution to support their work. I really have to ask who is the beggar in that situation? The person who wants free entertainment without even the guilt of being asked to contribute, or the person who is actually working to make content for others to enjoy.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:11   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Very interesting. So.... I’m too inept to realize I’m not inept.
Actually, you're pretty close. It's called the Dunning-Kreuger effect. The part of it that's most often referenced is when people are too stupid to know they're stupid. They actually believe they're right and think everyone else must be stupid. Less often referenced is the other end of the spectrum, when you're so smart, you can't realize why other people keep repeating the same mistakes. You tend to assume or at least analyze people as if they were as gifted as you, and expect them to make good choices as well. The ability to just start a business from scratch, including the going up to strangers and convincing them to let you paint their house, that's some salesmanship right there. Most people don't have that skill. Kudos to you for your success, but you are the exception not the rule.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:25   #112

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
... Regarding the OP. If you're reading someone's blog for free, ostensibly getting some enjoyment out of it (otherwise why would you keep reading it?) but then want to complain when they have the audacity to ask for a voluntary contribution to support their work. I really have to ask who is the beggar in that situation? ...
OP here (old phogy?).

I don' recall equating curiosity with enjoyment, but I suppose that's possible. I also don't recall complaining, so much as observing, what to me is a new type of online opportunism. How many new videos of anchoring mishaps are really needed?

IOW, does anyone want to pay for additional Campbell's Soup can paintings?
Old 07-11-2018, 14:52   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post
OP here (old phogy?).

I don' recall equating curiosity with enjoyment, but I suppose that's possible. I also don't recall complaining, so much as observing, what to me is a new type of online opportunism. How many new videos of anchoring mishaps are really needed?

IOW, does anyone want to pay for additional Campbell's Soup can paintings?
OP, is just Original Poster, nothing derogatory. I agree with others that if they're just asking for money without producing some sort of interesting content, then it's lame, but if they are producing content then it's just direct to consumer marketing. With the rise of digital media has come a decline in the power of large publishing powerhouses. This creates less opportunity for writers/artists/editors through the old traditional channels, but also a democratization of the chance to reach worldwide audiences. If it is just boring, poor, or more of the same, then it won't get much exposure. If it's something people enjoy watching it will rise to the top of search results. It might not be what you enjoy watching, but that's just a matter of taste. If it really is boring or poor, then you can console yourself that it won't be around for long, since they won't be making a living from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrydeare View Post
I also don't recall complaining, so much as observing, what to me is a new type of online opportunism.
Since you used the derogatory term of beggars, I took it as more of a critique/complaint than simply an unbiased observation.

A quick note on another post in here regarding student loan costs. Someone had complained about the millennials taking out so many student loans. The sad fact is that the cost of college has simply risen faster than the average person's ability to afford it. For one concrete example:
A student making a part-time, minimum-wage salary could pay for 106.5% of University of Central Florida's cost in 1987, while an equivalent job would cover 68.2% in 2016.

So it actually is tougher to make it now than it was in the 80's, at least monetarily. Heck, even the pervasiveness of distractions nowadays don't help. Who knows if I would have made it through school if I had the cool videogames, VR, etc. that kids have nowadays.

I attached a graph below of tuition vs salary. I think it sort of illustrates the problem pretty well. More info on that here, for those who want to argue this from an informed perspective.
https://www.marketwatch.com/graphics...-now-and-then/

Sort of fun how these threads take such interesting twists and turns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tuitionsalary.PNG
Views:	91
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	180306  
Old 07-11-2018, 14:58   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Help Me Pay My Way (Well, Not Quite ... )

Don’t you think though that tuition has risen so high, partially because there is no shortage of student loans?
Supply and demand, if there weren’t loans, I bet the tuition would drop.

Why are slip prices so high in Ft Lauderdale in Winter? Because they can get the asking price
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 16:50   #115
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Education should never have become "a business", the greed factor is a cancer that eats away the core mission.

Same can be said for housing & health care, certainly prisons and the military.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 17:57   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Don’t you think though that tuition has risen so high, partially because there is no shortage of student loans?
Supply and demand, if there weren’t loans, I bet the tuition would drop.

Why are slip prices so high in Ft Lauderdale in Winter? Because they can get the asking price
No, it's because lawmakers have continued to cut funding for education, so schools have had to make up the difference by raising tuition. It's not like public universities are making a profit, so that would only make sense for the private institutions. Of course private institutions have raised prices as well to keep pace. Can't look exclusive if you cost less. Student loans are also not dischargeable through bankruptcy, so in effect it's creating a new class of wage slaves. I'd love to get into this more, but I have to pack for a trip. There were efforts made to reduce predatory lending by for-profit institutions, but the current administration has decided to roll them back. Unfortunately many of these things are happening behind the scenes while the public is distracted by the many antics of this administration. Just pick an article from this search and read about it yourself. (I was trying, and still am, to not get political, but the answer to your question happens to be political...)
https://www.google.com/search?q=dere...ans+for-profit

We (taxpayers) are the ones paying for it as students default on federally guaranteed loans. It's great for politicians to get elected in the short term on promises of tax cuts, but we end up paying for it in the end when all these bills come due, our roads are falling apart, and they just continue to cut services like Medicare and the like to pay for it all. It's a vicious circle where the rich get richer. I could of course go on, but the beach is calling.
Old 07-11-2018, 18:03   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Education should never have become "a business", the greed factor is a cancer that eats away the core mission.

Same can be said for housing & health care, certainly prisons and the military.
For-profit prisons are definitely a cancer and they have a strong lobby.

You can pay for schools now, or prisons a decade later.

For-profit schools where "admissions" counselors work on commission are sickening also. Students think they're trying to impress this person to get in, and they take advantage of that. Just like a car salesman distracting a person from whether they should buy a new car, by trying to make you focus on whether you can qualify for a loan. Turning you into the person trying to impress them.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:50   #118

MOST OF THEM ARE PATHETICS,,, LIKE TULA ENDLESS SUMMER, AND OTHER,
SV ZINGARO GREAT FUN TO WATCH¡¡

LA VAGABONDE,,,,,,,,,,, A BAD PRODUCTION, BAD ACTING,,, IN FOR THE $$$ONLY AND NOW BORRRRRRRRRED BUT MUST KEEP GOING FOR A CONTRACT¡¡¡¡

DELOS,, ,,,,,, NEXT ON WALL STEET>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
SV ANOTHER ADVENTURE,,,,,,,,,,, GREAT FUN TO WATCH, INTERESTING,,,, HOPE DO NOT CHANGE,,,,
swanpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:04   #119

Boat: Cruisers Yacht, 3870 - 43 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanpol View Post
MOST OF THEM ARE PATHETICS,,, LIKE TULA ENDLESS SUMMER, AND OTHER,

LA VAGABONDE,,,,,,,,,,, A BAD PRODUCTION, BAD ACTING,,, IN FOR THE $$$ONLY AND NOW BORRRRRRRRRED BUT MUST KEEP GOING FOR A CONTRACT¡¡¡¡

I agree with your assessment with La Vagabonde but I'm curious why you think Tula is pathetic. I think they are a cool spirited young couple.
ShellBack89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:49   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
No, it's because lawmakers have continued to cut funding for education, so schools have had to make up the difference by raising tuition. It's not like public universities are making a profit, so that would only make sense for the private institutions. Of course private institutions have raised prices as well to keep pace. Can't look exclusive if you cost less. Student loans are also not dischargeable through bankruptcy, so in effect it's creating a new class of wage slaves. I'd love to get into this more, but I have to pack for a trip. There were efforts made to reduce predatory lending by for-profit institutions, but the current administration has decided to roll them back. Unfortunately many of these things are happening behind the scenes while the public is distracted by the many antics of this administration. Just pick an article from this search and read about it yourself. (I was trying, and still am, to not get political, but the answer to your question happens to be political...)
https://www.google.com/search?q=dere...ans+for-profit

We (taxpayers) are the ones paying for it as students default on federally guaranteed loans. It's great for politicians to get elected in the short term on promises of tax cuts, but we end up paying for it in the end when all these bills come due, our roads are falling apart, and they just continue to cut services like Medicare and the like to pay for it all. It's a vicious circle where the rich get richer. I could of course go on, but the beach is calling.
I don’t know. I went with my daughter last year, to my old alma mater, and was shocked to find how many more administrative positions they had added. The freshman orientation almost became a joke as we were addressed by one assistant to the assistant to the assistant, after another. It sure wasn’t the lean structure I remembered, with all the excessive handholding jobs that seem to have been created.