Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 15:23   #1

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
Govt Registration for a Home Built Catamaran

I am looking at taking over a project that the owner ran out of steam on, a 43' sailing catamaran. It is 80% complete and would float and could be finished if put in the water now. There is no designer or plans, the builder just started building after much research. He apparently has a lot of skill and experience because the quality looks real good. I will have a local high end yacht builder survey it first but it should pass his muster.

My question is how do I get this thing registered with the proper govt authorities either now, unfinished, while I motor it to my home for finishing/rigging or when it is essentially complete, (the finish work is never done before you need to get out on the water).

I am also asking on a companion thread how to get it insured, so go over there if you have suggestions on this subject please.

With my limited computer skills I tried to search for a similar topic but didn't have any luck.

Thank you

Thanks
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 15:49   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Govt Registration for a Home Built Catamaran

Getting it state registered is probably not too big of a hassle. Most states have a system where someone comes to inspect your boat and you supply them with a bill of sale and a pile of receipts to prove you actually paid for it and own the materials that went into it. You are usually assigned a hull number by the state. I registered a small 10-foot skiff in South Carolina that was homebuilt and for that they only required some photos to prove it existed including some close ups of the hull ID number carved into the hull. Unfortunately, the procedure is different in all 50 states. Coast Guard Documentation is trickier--you may need to consult a professional service for that. I once purchased a homebuilt boat and was able to get it documented by a professional service. Cost me several hundred dollars and maybe six months of time to do so.
Old 10-03-2012, 16:11   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If it's Fed registration you want, theres a compamy in Seattle ive used a few times over the years, when a broker was not involved. the name is Vessel Title Services LLC 19019 International Blvd # 280 Seattle WA. 98188 office PH Number 206-286-8994. I think they could do State Lic also but can't Garuntee that LOL but they have done 3 or 4 fed registrations for me and they charge but Ive found it fair and easy !!just my 2 cents
Old 11-03-2012, 20:55   #4

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning

Good leads, thanks you guys. I'll look into it.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, registration