Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2009, 11:03   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 57
Getting into the Chartering Business

Hello all,

As I've mentioned in my first couple posts here on CF, soon (in the next year or two) I plan on completely switching my life up, and adopting the live-aboard lifestyle while I cruise around the Caribbean. I've gotta get a way for the rat-race, it aint for me, and I think I finally have some direction in my life. I've got a few ideas for making money while I'm doing this, but I thought I'd make a thread here to discuss the logistics for one of them: chartering my boat out (once I've purchased one - as you can see, I still have alot of work to do before this dream can be realized).

Is there a surplus of people doing this sort of thing in the Caribbean? Is there room for more? Is it easy or hard to get into? What's involved (certifications, etc?) Is it most feasible to get a job with a chartering company, being paid to take people out on cruises or fishing trips (or whatever) on your own boat? How possible is it to be self-employed doing this sort of thing in the region?

Needless to say, I've got other ideas for ways to make money down there, but I really like this option as one source of income. I'm anxious to hear back all of you with any pertinent details/advice on this possible career path.


Derek
__________________

__________________
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 11:05   #2
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
I think a good 20% of newbies ask the same question. In short.......it's tough to get into, but not impossible.........i2f
__________________

__________________
SAILING is not always a slick magazine cover!
BORROWED..No single one of is as smart as all of us!
http://sailingwithcancer.blogspot.com/
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 11:12   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 57
Yeah, I dont doubt that, but I'm dead serious. I'm moving to the Caribbean for sure and will be finding ways to make money (with my boat, and without). I plan to make a base somewhere in the Netherlands Antilles, since I have a Dutch passport as well, and will find a way to make a life for myself down there. From what I'm read, that will go along ways towards finding employment, more so than my Canadian passport ever could. Anyways, this is one potential source of income, but the one that I'm most attracted to.

Newb thing to say or not, this is where I'm headed. I'll do whatever it takes to realize this goal, but I'm interested in some details for now as I'm still only in the planning/learning phase. Any and all detail are welcome.
__________________
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 11:50   #4
Ram
Registered User
 
Ram's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cruising Greece
Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Posts: 2,298
Images: 27
Dont let folks tell you how hard it is, I started in a new country and with in 2 years became over booked and a year in advance, I now am looking for people to take some of the charters off my hand-
check out Sailing-Charters.org to see how i did it
__________________
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 11:52   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green23 View Post
Hello all,

As I've mentioned in my first couple posts here on CF, soon (in the next year or two) I plan on completely switching my life up, and adopting the live-aboard lifestyle while I cruise around the Caribbean. I've gotta get a way for the rat-race, it aint for me, and I think I finally have some direction in my life. I've got a few ideas for making money while I'm doing this, but I thought I'd make a thread here to discuss the logistics for one of them: chartering my boat out (once I've purchased one - as you can see, I still have alot of work to do before this dream can be realized).

Is there a surplus of people doing this sort of thing in the Caribbean? Is there room for more? Is it easy or hard to get into? What's involved (certifications, etc?) Is it most feasible to get a job with a chartering company, being paid to take people out on cruises or fishing trips (or whatever) on your own boat? How possible is it to be self-employed doing this sort of thing in the region?

Needless to say, I've got other ideas for ways to make money down there, but I really like this option as one source of income. I'm anxious to hear back all of you with any pertinent details/advice on this possible career path.


Derek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Dont let folks tell you how hard it is, I started in a new country and with in 2 years became over booked and a year in advance, I now am looking for people to take some of the charters off my hand-
check out Sailing-Charters.org to see how i did it

Thanks, man. How many years have you been sailing? What kind of certifications were necessary?

I see you started your own company. I doubt I'd be doing that (any time soon, at least...though down the road, sure!) but that's awesome! Good for you. I hope to do something like that too, once I get my feet wet, but that's a long ways off to be sure.
__________________
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 12:26   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 57
Anyone know whether or not a US Coast Guard captain license is even necessary in the Caribbean, outside of U.S. territory? (Edit: actually, I've just read that it's only for U.S. citizens (of course)).

Take the Netherlands Antilles (etc), does the same sort of designation have a different name there? Different cost? If anyone knows, let me know; in the meantime, I'm still researching.
__________________
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 14:14   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
David M's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: research vessel
Posts: 10,152
There is plenty of competition because it is a lifestyle that many people would love to have. Unfortunately, huge demands for specific jobs tend to drive what you can make, down. That's the law of supply and demand for various professions. Look into it more. You may just come up with a better idea than what others are doing that puts you into a higher demand class than others.

Whether or not a specific country requires a USCG license, its an international standard that most all maritime nations recognize.
__________________
David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 17:07   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
There is plenty of competition because it is a lifestyle that many people would love to have. Unfortunately, huge demands for specific jobs tend to drive what you can make, down. That's the law of supply and demand for various professions. Look into it more. You may just come up with a better idea than what others are doing that puts you into a higher demand class than others.

Whether or not a specific country requires a USCG license, its an international standard that most all maritime nations recognize.
Thanks for your reply. I'm continuing to look in to it, to find a unique angle, and all that.

Didnt I read though that you had to be a U.S. citizen to get a USCG license?
__________________
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 23:13   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
No you can be an "alien" for a USCG OUPV license on an uninspected undocumented vessel.
But if you have a Dutch passport why not just get whatever is needed in that country rather than doing the USCG thing?
__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 09:45   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
No you can be an "alien" for a USCG OUPV license on an uninspected undocumented vessel.
But if you have a Dutch passport why not just get whatever is needed in that country rather than doing the USCG thing?
Yeah, that's what I'm looking into. Just not sure what it's called, or which Dutch island I might end up on just yet. Surely they have an equivalent, so hopefully I'll run into that information soon.

Thanks, Osiris.
__________________
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 10:21   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cruising
Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Posts: 331
Generally outside the US what you will need is the yachtmaster certification. its tough to get ( not hard, but requires some dedication), you will need to pass the theory, you will need 3,000 logged miles, of which 600 must be a single passage, plus an onboard examination. THe yachtmaster is an international certificate recognized everywhere in the world. One of its biggest advantages is that you can take it in English, the various countries in the EU all have their own certificates, but they are conducted in the language of that country.
hope this helps
__________________
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 15:27   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhosyn Mor View Post
Generally outside the US what you will need is the yachtmaster certification. its tough to get ( not hard, but requires some dedication), you will need to pass the theory, you will need 3,000 logged miles, of which 600 must be a single passage, plus an onboard examination. THe yachtmaster is an international certificate recognized everywhere in the world. One of its biggest advantages is that you can take it in English, the various countries in the EU all have their own certificates, but they are conducted in the language of that country.
hope this helps
Very helpful. But what I'm seeing is huge boats that I'd be able to navigate with this yachtmaster designation. Surely there's something lesser, an equivalent to the 6-pack? Then again, I do believe someone said a Canadian can take the US 6-pack license and have it be useful in the Caribbean.

Any idea what this yachtmaster course costs?
__________________
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2009, 15:44   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cruising
Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Posts: 331
The yachtmaster is meant for smaller vessels as well as the larger ones, THere is no EU equivalent to the US 6 pack. THere are various levels of yachtmaster, they are geared towards the waters you sail in rather than the size of the vessel ( somewhat) coastal, open ocean etc. for captaining a vessel that was in charter you would want the open ocean- yacht has a different designation in the EU, all sailboats are considered yachts,
its not cheap, as you would need all the pre requisite courses, crew, day skipper, night skipper etc in total the last I heard it was about 15K for the complete course from scratch. any level of yachtmaster will require knowledge of celestial navigation, first aid, but it WIll give you the SCTW 95 certificate which is becoming a requirement on a lot of non- US vessles ( even for crew)
__________________
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 10:07   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhosyn Mor View Post
The yachtmaster is meant for smaller vessels as well as the larger ones, THere is no EU equivalent to the US 6 pack. THere are various levels of yachtmaster, they are geared towards the waters you sail in rather than the size of the vessel ( somewhat) coastal, open ocean etc. for captaining a vessel that was in charter you would want the open ocean- yacht has a different designation in the EU, all sailboats are considered yachts,
its not cheap, as you would need all the pre requisite courses, crew, day skipper, night skipper etc in total the last I heard it was about 15K for the complete course from scratch. any level of yachtmaster will require knowledge of celestial navigation, first aid, but it WIll give you the SCTW 95 certificate which is becoming a requirement on a lot of non- US vessles ( even for crew)
Thank for the info. I plan on working towards that in the years ahead. In the meantime, I may just set my sights on the 6-pack since someone said a Canadian can get that certification (presuming of course, that it's recognized in the Caribbean - still not quite sure where in the Caribbean I'll be headed; still in the planning phase.) Thanks again.
__________________
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 20:49   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Green23 - when you find out if and where a USA non-citizen with a USCG 6-pack can use it to work in a 3rd country please let us know - that would be great information to have.
__________________

__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boat Business Loans from Small Business Administration xxuxx Dollars & Cents 0 18-05-2009 18:21
Chartering out? davegnvl Liveaboard's Forum 6 02-08-2008 07:17
Chartering New England indypopeye Multihull Sailboats 1 05-03-2008 07:56
chartering vicki miller General Sailing Forum 4 04-02-2008 05:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.