Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2009, 20:52   #31

Okay, thanks for the information, Osiris. Much appreciated. I still have so much more research to do...
Green23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 11:46   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green23 View Post
But I'm not wondering about that. I'm wondering about when I'm there, with my work permit, whether or not a "yachtsman" certification I got back home will satisfy local governments down there should I hope to do some chartering on the side (or whether I'd need some equivalent, though I kind of doubted that Curacao would have it's own Yachtsman designation -though, admittedly, I know very little of the Caribbean as of yet.)

Would I need to then obtain work permit for chartering and that's where I would run into a problem?

The work permit will describe the kind of work you are permitted to do. If you get a permit to do computer work, that will not permit you to charter.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 12:07   #33

Boat: Lagoon 620
Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang Sally
There is a lot of incorrect information on this thread. As a canadian and the current owner and captain of one of the busiest charter boats in the virgins let me clarify a couple of things,

- Canada has no captains license that works for charter yachts, only freighters
- nobody other then a US citizen can get a USCG certificate (i've tried)
- the BVI have developed a captains license called the Caribbean Boat master, anyone can take it.
- you may start and finish 7 charters in the BVI per year without work permits
- you may start and finish unlimited charters from US waters sailing into BVI waters, even if your not American
Mustang Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 13:25   #34

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - From Mustang Sally's first hand information about the BVI's, you can see that the business of doing charters varies from one island to another. In the Dominican Rupublic the law states you must be a D.R. Citizen or have residency to operate a boat charter and the boat must be registered in the D.R. That is the most restrictive end of the spectrum and then you progress through Mustang Sally's area and finally to some islands where they wouldn't know what you are talking about as far as who's doing charters. They could care less. (Except maybe to collect a cut of the action).
- - So the particular island you choose will determine what you do need or do not need. Your customers will determine whether they want "insurance protection" which then would involve any requirements the insurance company wants for sailing experience and license/proof of competence, etc.
- - You can be a "resident alien - "green card"" in the USA and get the social security number and work privileges. Whether a USCG 6-pak is valid or "worth anything" in another country is the big question. Why bother with the expense and time if the country you have an interest in either doesn't want, care, or recognize a USCG 6-pak?
- - In real life there are plenty of cruisers who if they were working in North America would be illegal because they have nothing - insurance, licenses, certificates, boat inspections, etc. However they may be just fine doing charters elsewhere either because the location they are working does not require such things or the charterers/owners just don't want to be bothered to get them.
- - It comes as a big shock to some North Americans that outside their waters is a world that is not "micro-managed" by bureaucrats. You can pretty much do what you want including killing yourself and nobody really cares or will try to stop you. It is the old way called "personal responsibility" and it is a major factor in why a lot of long time cruisers are out here in the first place. Some others call it Liberty or Freedom.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 14:14   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
... It comes as a big shock to some North Americans that outside their waters is a world that is not "micro-managed" by bureaucrats. You can pretty much do what you want including killing yourself and nobody really cares or will try to stop you. It is the old way called "personal responsibility" and it is a major factor in why a lot of long time cruisers are out here in the first place. Some others call it Liberty or Freedom.
And/or the "public" (your customers).
In many of those places you can also sell tainted food, lead-based paint, and so forth.

Some others call it unrestrained capitalsm, or economic anarchy.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 04:19   #36

question

My husband and I livein Greece and he is working and has been as a captain for years. He has a class C license and has worked on charters and cargo lines. We want to go to the states permanently. What will he need to do to be able to work as a captain there? How does the license tranfer or apply.. or can it.. where does he begin? Can anyone give advice? Any info that you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
gata13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 06:24   #37

- - If he is a US Citizen then he can go to a USCG approved Captain's School and probably very easily get a USCG "ticket" for whatever level he wants/needs. His past experience will satisfy the "prior experience at sea" requirements and hopefully his knowledge will make the academic parts much easier.
- - If he is not a US Citizen, then he cannot work on a US documented vessel in commercial operation unless he does what is necessary to get a "work permit." There are many ways to do that, but they are not simple. Virtually all countries in the world have laws prohibiting working for compensation unless you are a citizen or legal resident. USA immigration is really picky about who gets to legally enter the USA and why. Entering on a visitor's visa and getting caught working for compensation will get you deported with a big stamp in your passport, which will pretty much end your being able to travel internationally outside your home country.
- - Working "under the table" or working on a non-US documented vessel is possible but legally dangerous and the since it is "under the table" the wages are significantly lower (e.g., "wet-backs).
- - If he is a non-citizen and with no "work permit" that pretty much limits him to offshore work on non-US vessels. Look at Find a Crewâ„¢ Worldwide - The World's largest Online Marine Crew Network to get an idea of the jobs available in that arena worldwide.
Old 19-10-2009, 06:29   #38

thank you

Thank you for the information! Yes, he will be leagally residing and able to work in the US..although NOT yet a citizen. I am an American citizen and we are recently married. We will have the legal part sorted out soon..now we are just wondering about him being able to continue working as a captain there. Thanks again!!
gata13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 06:53   #39

gata13, I think you and I are in the same situation. Are you into or just starting the CR1/IV processing? He will need to get to the point in the process where he qualifies for a Social Security number before being able to attend the USCG approved schools and apply for the test. Do you know about: Family Based Immigration Forums
It has been a great assistance to us. But until the processing is completed and additionally, you have been married for more than 2 years, you are "walking on eggshells" so do not do or attempt to do anything to circumvent the rules and laws. As the spouse of a USA citizen he has no "right" to be admitted the USA, he only has the opportunity to go to the "head of the list" of all those who are applying for entry who are not married/engaged to a US Citizen.