Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2016, 07:53   #16

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43
Lightbulb Re: Floating bakery on boat - a good idea?

This is actually a great idea! Especially with the artsy twist you wish to give it! Here in Turkey, going from boat to boat with any where from selling ice cream cones to a full size walkin grocery store and dinner deliveries are quite common. They go from bay to bay and boat to boat at various time of the day. Bakery in the morning with fresh bread every morning, ice cream in the afternoon, the grocery skif late afternoon and dinner delivery offering around 4 pm to take orders. It must work because their back every year since we've been in Turkey. Premium prices (2x+ regular store prices) must make it quite lucrative if you can keep your boat operating costs low. After all you shouldn't have to pay any municipal taxes on operating a commercial site. From a customer point of view it's a great experience to buy off a skif and well worth the extra money especially with guess on board! And yes display and presentation are key.
Go for it and good luck.
Jacques
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 07:54   #17

Re: Floating bakery on boat - a good idea?

We love having Aldo on Block Island, RI. We can call him on Channel 71 but he's out calling boats in The Great Salt Pond every morning. He also comes around later in the day for dinner choices. His business is in the town but he comes out to the anchorage faithfully. A great service to the many boats anchored or on moorings.
Sailing Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:00   #18

Boat: Chris Craft Catalina 38 foot

We actually have a floating Pizzeria up here in Lake St. Clair on about a 30 foot pontoon with Pizza ovens the whole works they have girls going boat to boat in Zodiacs taking orders and making deliveries or you can walk up if he's in one of the shallow areas and order. Its great.
Denman180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:00   #19

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

Great idea...sure think it would work! Good luck!
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:01   #20

I love your idea!!! I am in pacific nw- I would so buy if you were up here. As you go along you will see what the winners are that people want. I think it is a great idea, and using the legal kitchen is the only way to go to keep it all legal.
jcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:03   #21

Boat: S2 9.2C

Awesome! I really like the idea of using the radio to take orders. In many places, this idea would not work, as local officials would not approve, and I really have no interest in competing with locals in other countries. Stealing another persons livelihood is not my thing
We were thinking that we would operate this business in the states, most likely southern florida. When we cruise, we will have another person take over the baking and delivery. (I have a few friends who seen quite intrigued... But it's a long move)
If anyone knows of any bakers in the area, who are also able to safely operate a small boat with outboard, let me know!
CamWrenRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:04   #22

Boat: Grampian 26

I love the idea but personally it seems like too much work.

In the North Channel (where it is a 3 hour run to Little Current ON), an enterprising young man would sell you ice (when fridges on boats were rare) and take away your garbage. I think it was $5 a bag - either bag. Money invested - $2 for the ice $0 for the garbage.
astokel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:04   #23

I had the same dream.. lol Crazy together
Seaworthydreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:07   #24

Boat: S2 9.2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalifour View Post
This is actually a great idea! Especially with the artsy twist you wish to give it! Here in Turkey, going from boat to boat with any where from selling ice cream cones to a full size walkin grocery store and dinner deliveries are quite common. They go from bay to bay and boat to boat at various time of the day. Bakery in the morning with fresh bread every morning, ice cream in the afternoon, the grocery skif late afternoon and dinner delivery offering around 4 pm to take orders. It must work because their back every year since we've been in Turkey. Premium prices (2x+ regular store prices) must make it quite lucrative if you can keep your boat operating costs low. After all you shouldn't have to pay any municipal taxes on operating a commercial site. From a customer point of view it's a great experience to buy off a skif and well worth the extra money especially with guess on board! And yes display and presentation are key.
Go for it and good luck.
Jacques
Wow - it sounds like there's a thriving community where you are! I'm curious to see if there are any people doing this in the keys... any liveaboards /cruisers down there that know of anyone?
CamWrenRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:09   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamWrenRoo View Post
Yes, correct. I would only be selling items which legally do not require refrigeration. And secure packaging would be required legally to sell from a boat. As far as shelves go, I really like the idea of a visible display, cause i'm a sucker for esthetics... But it would have to be protected. I'm thinking plexiglass covering, on wood frame, with a reflective top to keep the heat out? We will have to get the husband involved on that one, he's the handy one!
There are a number of companies that will make faux food to spec. They look real!
The benefit of this is that you get your asthetic appeal but also protect your stock. Remember not every day is gorgeous and calm.

Im sure you could come up with custom displays to protect you wares, but, honestly, the display factor might just get lost on all those that are supposed to appreciate it. Standing on a bouncing deck, maybe eith sun in your eyes, looking down towards a lower boat, keeping your footing while you dig out cash, or grab a purchase etc, can really distract from admiring subtle details.

Of course, I dont know the real details of your thoughts, so my comments may be out of line.

Never the less, I love the idea. Purchases, for us, would be a treat, but one we might indulge in when the mood is right.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:10   #26

Boat: lancer 36

get a jeanneau or beneteau and you can call it a french bread boat.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:12   #27
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Good idea,
It works !
It has been going on in the Caribbean for years. The locals bake stuff and go from boat to boat selling their baked goods. They make a killing.
Never seen it done in the US though.
Good luck.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:13   #28

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
The french baker in Barra de Navidad comes around every morning selling his goods from a panga. Your main concern is finding a location to sell in and dealing with red tape.

This is a good design for several reasons. Good access to all parts of the boat. Looks nice. Open or clear top boxes instead of shelves keeps the weight low and, since your customers will all be in big boats looking down on you, it gives them a nice view of your wares.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamWrenRoo View Post
BTW - I'm a professional pastry chef... And doing this would be way more fun than waiting on tables to make cash! Hourly wages for bakers these days are pretty low, especially in the south, so this idea would allow me to do what I love, while also making a living. The overhead for such a project would be pretty low, too...
I would also sell coffee and cold drinks, too...
There are commissary kitchens available. I live in Melbourne, Fl, and we have one in Viera, Fl for around 250 a month. Also, some restaurant's rent the kitchens for a nominal fee. Cocoa Village is along the Intracoastal waterway.
Seaworthydreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:18   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
This is a good design for several reasons. Good access to all parts of the boat. Looks nice. Open or clear top boxes instead of shelves keeps the weight low and, since your customers will all be in big boats looking down on you, it gives them a nice view of your wares.
Consider making a flyer, laminated with nice photos of what you are selling, since you will most likely have to limit your selection for a number of reasons: time to bake, space on the delivery boat...

Easier to hand the customers the laminated photos to show them the variety, also includes prices.

Simpler that a big display case or even open boxes (where it doesn't rain a whole lot).

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa