Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2016, 06:02   #1

Boat: S2 9.2C
Floating bakery on boat - a good idea?

Ok, so I have crazy idea. When my husband and I start living on our boat in southern Florida for the late fall/winter/spring, I want to operate a floating bakery. Yes, told you it was crazy!
The idea: Find a commercial kitchen to rent part time and bake in it legally. Load up all my tasty artisan breads, danish, pie etc into a smallish boat (10 -15 ft skiff / jon boat), Make it look cool and artsy, with all of the products packaged and displayed on nice, sturdy shelves. Go from boat to boat in the mooring fields / marinas / anchorages / touristy docks... And SELL MY BREAD... Off a BOAT... I would call it "The Bread Boat" or something to that effect.
What do you all think? Does anyone else out there do this? I've googled it, and I haven't found anyone else doing this. And google knows all, so...
I think it would be a very unique, fun way to make boat loads of cash (Ha ha get the joke? Boat loads....)
If you live in a mooring / anchorage etc, would you be excited to see a vendor selling fresh baked goods, or would you find it to be a nuisance?
CamWrenRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 06:10   #2

Re: Floating bakery on boat - a good idea?

BTW - I'm a professional pastry chef... And doing this would be way more fun than waiting on tables to make cash! Hourly wages for bakers these days are pretty low, especially in the south, so this idea would allow me to do what I love, while also making a living. The overhead for such a project would be pretty low, too...
I would also sell coffee and cold drinks, too...
Old 14-05-2016, 06:24   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Smells great! Can you deliver to my boat in Southern California?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 06:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Smells great! Can you deliver to my boat in Southern California?

S/V B'Shert
That's one long skiff ride!!!! So Cal is actually a possible location for this idea, perhaps in future years...
Old 14-05-2016, 06:56   #5
cruiser

look up "Deliverance" operating out of the BVI
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 07:00   #6

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Think about a pre-arranged delivery service as well. That way you are not relying on boats being occupied. Also locals may be interested.

Flyers and cards will be good.

Perhaps a bespoke service as well.

Names:-

See Bread
Briny Bread
Fresh Breeze Bread
Neptune's Table

Best of luck
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 07:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
Think about a pre-arranged delivery service as well. That way you are not relying on boats being occupied. Also locals may be interested.

Flyers and cards will be good.

Perhaps a bespoke service as well.

Names:-

See Bread
Briny Bread
Fresh Breeze Bread
Neptune's Table

Best of luck
Excellent ideas!! Thank you! I was also thinking about bike delivery as well... Pre arranged orders would mostlikely be the backbone of this idea, as a guaranteed sale is the best kind of sale...
Old 14-05-2016, 07:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post
wow - it looks like they do quite well! thank you!
Old 14-05-2016, 07:33   #9

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

A guy named Aldo used to sell bread every morning off his boat in Great Salt Pond, Block Island. We would wake to the sound of his outboard and him shouting "Andiamo" ("let's go" in Italian). This is definitely something that could be profitable if you approach it correctly. On another island (Cuttihunk, I think) kids would come around in their skiff every afternoon about 4ish and sell cooked shrimp, some clams, oysters, etc.

People on vacation love the added extras and are willing to pay. People living aboard full time, maybe not so much due to budget. Go where the tourists/charterers are.

Good luck!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 07:33   #10

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post
We have bought ice and baked goods from "Deliverance". I think your idea could work, however the fancy shelves and such might not be great. When Deliverance would come along side, she would be bobbing about and it was always a bit of a challenge getting tied off. Everything is stowed in coolers or boxes. I am pretty sure the rules and regs in the BVIs are not what they would be in South Florida so proper storage and protection from the weather and splashing waves would be paramount.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 07:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbat View Post
We have bought ice and baked goods from "Deliverance". I think your idea could work, however the fancy shelves and such might not be great. When Deliverance would come along side, she would be bobbing about and it was always a bit of a challenge getting tied off. Everything is stowed in coolers or boxes. I am pretty sure the rules and regs in the BVIs are not what they would be in South Florida so proper storage and protection from the weather and splashing waves would be paramount.
Yes, correct. I would only be selling items which legally do not require refrigeration. And secure packaging would be required legally to sell from a boat. As far as shelves go, I really like the idea of a visible display, cause i'm a sucker for esthetics... But it would have to be protected. I'm thinking plexiglass covering, on wood frame, with a reflective top to keep the heat out? We will have to get the husband involved on that one, he's the handy one!
Old 14-05-2016, 07:40   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

CamWren,

Yeas ago there was a woman who made cinnamon buns on her boat and everything was pre-ordered the evening before.

People would call her on the radio with quantity and preferred time of delivery the next morning, and she would show up in her dink with the hot buns. [Those were the days before ubiquitous cell phones and coverage to go with that. An app for pre-orders might be the way to go these days...]

She could make something like 200 buns/day [she always sold out the next day's inventory via radio before 8pm; her cut-off time for next-day orders...] and she set delivery time from 0600-1000 or something like that. That way she reserved some time for playing [and sleeping...]

Best wishes with your new venture!

Cheers!

Bill
Old 14-05-2016, 07:41   #13

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Many cruising ports have morning radio nets where you could take orders, although in some places, Mexico is one, they frown on travelers infringing on the local trade. In La Paz they use the code that they are trading for coconuts instead of money and no officials seem to care. Although in Mexico you can fresh loaves of bread for 30 cents and rolls for sometimes 5 or 6 cents. I do like the idea. When I was young a Helms delivery guy lived across the street from us, and although we never once purchased from him I really liked the smell of his truck when he would make the first stop of the morning at his own home to leave his wife donuts, cookies, and some cakes and pies.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 07:43   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

I think this may work in any big anchorage or marina. Give it a shot.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 07:52   #15

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

The french baker in Barra de Navidad comes around every morning selling his goods from a panga. Your main concern is finding a location to sell in and dealing with red tape.

autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa