Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-05-2016, 11:57   #46

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Ketch S/V Solace
Re: Floating bakery on boat - a good idea?

Fantastic idea! I know that the folks in our marina would be all over purchasing fresh baked items from you.

For many years at work we had the Cookie Lady come thru the office every morning. She would go cube to cube, office to office with her basket of cookies, muffins, orange and cranberry juice and would sell to well over 50%. Most people wanted the same items every day like I did.............a blueberry muffin and orange juice. If I was in a meeting I would leave the $4 on my desk :-)

Old 14-05-2016, 14:09   #47

Some of us remember the Boot Key electric boat that came around with pastries and newspapers every morning. He also took tours of the Harbor between or during his deliveries. Great service and missed by the cruisers in Boot Key for the season.

Old 14-05-2016, 14:20   #48
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Check out...
http://www.pizza-pi.com
Old 14-05-2016, 15:32   #49

Boat: Tartan 34c Yawl, 1974 hull #318

Alright! thank you all for your ideas! We will be wading through a bunch of red tape, and hopefully it will all come to fruition... When it's up and running this winter - I will post to let you all know.
One last question - does anyone out there know of a woodfired pizzeria in the keys that you think would be open to the idea of renting their kitchen on third shift?
Thanks!!!!
Old 14-05-2016, 18:03   #50

'Ere you go — Squirrel Cove Trading Compay located in Desolation Sound, British Columbia:

Squirrel Cove Trading Company - Flying Squirrel Take Out

I was skeptical at first and thought as someone else also did that sans developed business plan, this one won't fly - or even float.

However, it seems as if Roo in fact HAS done some numbers and is aware of profit margins, required volumes and all the other good stuff.

My experience of "small business" is that being THE BEST at swinging an 'ammer or sticking up plaster board doesn't mean that you are even half-fast as a business man. Where most "entrepeneurs" come up short is in marketing and selling. Quantity prediction and control is absolutely CRUCIAL to success in any aspect of the food trades.

TrentePieds
Old 14-05-2016, 18:34   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajayne View Post
Names:-

See Bread
Briny Bread
Fresh Breeze Bread
Neptune's Table
Roadstead Bread
Bread and Cutter

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 18:39   #52

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Check out...
Pizza π VI
That's impressive!

Aye! Pizza pie!
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 18:57   #53

Hi,

I have had a similar idea, but ran into an issue when writing the business plan, limited market... My customers are literally only people who live on their boats and who have disposable cash to buy the product, and who happen to be on board at the time I'm in the area...

If there was a way to have a stall, eatery or market on the shore / beach or whatever then have the 'home delivery' option with opportunistic sales on the way back, (Like an icecream truck that is guaranteed at least 1 sale) I think there'd be a greater market and exploit your prefered niche. Sadly that was not what we were looking for so it didnt suit our model.

Good Luck, I'd buy your treats
Old 14-05-2016, 19:55   #54

There was a guy with a fisher 32 i think, who used to support himself while cruising by making donuts every morning and selling them boat to boat in the anchorages he stopped in. There was a woman in the anchorage in majuro, Marshall Islands who sold home baked bread to the cruisers. She could not keep up with the demand for her yummy bread. There was a woman in Martinique who had a mastless hobie cat with a small outboard. She went around the anchorage every morning with fresh croissants and newspapers, and every afternoon with homemade ice cream. She made a good living. I think it helped that she did so topless! So yes, I think your idea would work.
Old 16-05-2016, 15:18   #55

Boat: Topper Hermanson, Cutter, 36

This is happening in the salt ponds on Block Island. The guy trolls around the moored and anchored boats yelling "Andiamo" letting people there know he's available if the want pasteries. He also monitors channel 16 on the vhf. He sells fresh pasteries is the morning from a bakery in town and at night or happy hour he sells oysters Ana stuffies
Old 16-05-2016, 15:34   #56

I think any business aboard is a good idea. There is a pizza boat in St. Thomas called pizza pi. They are anchored out in Christmas Cove and do a very good business for a husband and wife living aboard. Pizza is pretty god too.. http://www.pizza-pi.com/
Old 17-05-2016, 12:47   #57

Boat: Niagara 35

Don't completely discount baking aboard. It's been done. Your model of just doing deliveries and baking on land is a good first step, though.

There was a bread boat in Montague Harbour in the Gulf Islands on the Canadian side of the PNW last time I was there. It was a huge converted commercial boat from days gone by (used to deliveries up and down the coast). You ordered the night before and then went and picked up in the morning.

In the summer, that one bay has over 100 boats in any given night, so they did ok. You're going to really have to know how many boats are going to be in the spot you're going to call home. There are places this will work really well and places it won't.
Old 17-05-2016, 13:06   #58

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'

My wife, until very recently, worked for the Florida Department of Health performing health inspections for industrial kitchens, biomedical waste, etc. As long as all the food prep is done in an inspected facility like you plan, you shouldn't have a problem with the delivery method. She said something technical about low water activity in baking making it a low risk for food borne illness.

We have an ice cream boat comes through the popular anchorages here during the summer. They sell the same packaged products as the ice cream trucks going through neighborhoods.

On a side note, there are no health regulations/inspections around selling boiled peanuts. Anyone with a cooking pot can do it. That explains all the tents on the side of the road here in the panhandle of Florida. According to Florida DOH it is hard to screwup a peanut...still not sure I'm up for roadside boiled peanuts...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-05-2016, 16:02   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Ah yes. Squirrel Cove . . . Canada . . . I remember it well! . . . or do I?
Could you tell us in which part of the 9,984,670 sq km of Canada (Wiki) would that particular Squirrel Cove might be located? Any guesses? And are we both thinking of the same Squirrel Cove? How many Squirrel coves do you suppose there might be in Canada? . . . LOL
I bet there are! The one I'm talking about is near Desolation Sound. Oh wait.. how many Desolations are in Canada eh?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 12:43   #60
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '01 Leopard 38, 3 cbn

In St Thomas, VI we have a GREAT floating pizzeria! Good Luck!

Tags
loa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: