Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 11:04   #1

First Time Owner (monohull vs multihull)

Hello Everyone,

I'm knew to this community and the thought of owning a sailing vessel to cruise the world. However, I'm not new to sailing as a lad, I grew up on a family yacht (29' and 32' monohull) on Lake Michigan summers. With that said, I haven't been sailing in over 20 years and I'm itching to make a dream come true for myself.

Dream is to own a sailing vessel that I can sail around the world mostly island hoping to remote locations and photographing/writing about my adventures. While I'm unsure how I will be making a living while cruising the world I'm open to learning and trying new things in order to make this dream a reality. Some of my hobbies that keep me stable will need to continue into my cruising life: photography (stills and aerial), writing, pen & ink drawings (this requires a level surface, i.e. can a monohull do this), and web development.

Somethings that may help those who would like to make some suggestions. I'm single and do not plan on getting a crew so the boat would need to capable of single handed sailing with ease. I'm looking to sail to remote locations like the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Fuji Islands, Australia, New Zealand, etc. On longer ocean travels, I do plan on having a crew or another couple with me for the journey. I'm looking for at least a 2 cabin, prefer 3 cabins with at least 2 heads, do have family/guests that may join me sometimes. I would like either a large navigation station that will be able to handle my monitor(s) for my photography editing and mapping software or if I need to convert one of the cabins into an office/art studio. I've been heavily researching multihulls due to move space, but my budget it going to be limited and I do miss the joy of being keeled over on a 45 degree angle enjoying the thrill of sailing.

My question for this forum is should I be looking at finding a reasonably monohull or multihull. I've read several articles about the pros and cons, but I'm having a hard time making a decision. I understand that probably the best way for me to make a reasonable decision would be to go on a couple week long cruising trips, but right now the money just isn't there for that type of expense. I would love to hear from other cruisers who have sailed on both monohull and multihulls, why did you switch, would you go back, etc?

Articles, blogs, experiences are all welcome. I love to learn and try new things. Thank you kindly in advance for your help.
dishsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, multihull