Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2017, 06:18   #46

Boat: 1981 C&C Landfall 35
Re: Finding an Honest Surveyor

Has anyone ever asked a surveyor if you can tag along to another survey job to see the care they take in inspecting someone else's boat? I've never heard of this being done but it seems like an easy way to see the surveyor in action before you pay them.
wsbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 10:11   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbarnard View Post
Has anyone ever asked a surveyor if you can tag along to another survey job to see the care they take in inspecting someone else's boat? I've never heard of this being done but it seems like an easy way to see the surveyor in action before you pay them.
That is not up to the surveyor. It is up to the person who hired him. Even If it was ok'd by the client I would still refuse. While the client is paying me he is welcome to hang over my shoulder and question me all day long I simply don't have time to clamber around a non-payer, continually have to ask him to move out of the way and please don't play with the circuit breakers while my fingers are in there and spending my time and my clients time answering his questions ...... absolutely NOT.
Old 19-04-2017, 10:29   #48

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

And just be a general distraction from the job at hand.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 10:40   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

The theme of this thread seems to be than surveyors do a poor job. I don't think that's true. I've been dealing with surveyors since the early 1960s. Most did an excellent job. But rarely do they find every little questionable problem. An owner has days, weeks and years to explore his boat. The surveyor only has a reasonable amount of time to inspect and still stay in business.
Much of what the surveyor looks at is based on their experience. It's a little like a doctor, finding a problem they can't see, and the patient doesn't speak.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 11:02   #50

Boat: 1981 C&C Landfall 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I simply don't have time to clamber around a non-payer, continually have to ask him to move out of the way and please don't play with the circuit breakers while my fingers are in there and spending my time and my clients time answering his questions ...... absolutely NOT.

Thanks for providing the surveyor's perspective on this. Out of curiosity do you ever have troubles with sea trials where the captain has tried to bring guests and turn it into a mini cruise? I feel like this could present a lot of the same problems while you are trying to survey the boat, except its the paying customer inviting these extra people on board. Again, I've never heard or seen someone do this, just wondering how you have/would handle this situation.
wsbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 11:54   #51
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbarnard View Post
Thanks for providing the surveyor's perspective on this. Out of curiosity do you ever have troubles with sea trials where the captain has tried to bring guests and turn it into a mini cruise? I feel like this could present a lot of the same problems while you are trying to survey the boat, except its the paying customer inviting these extra people on board. Again, I've never heard or seen someone do this, just wondering how you have/would handle this situation.
I have some thoughts on this on my website. The third article on this list
Old 19-04-2017, 15:46   #52

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Okay, I agree my idea was poor.

Boatpoker, what advice do you have for newbies seeking a good surveyor? How can they winnow the wheat from the chaff? My concern is that many places, surveyors are not required to have professional standards, so a check with a body won't do them any good.

Thanks for helping.

Ann
Old 19-04-2017, 16:21   #53
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Okay, I agree my idea was poor.

Boatpoker, what advice do you have for newbies seeking a good surveyor? How can they winnow the wheat from the chaff? My concern is that many places, surveyors are not required to have professional standards, so a check with a body won't do them any good.

Thanks for helping.

Ann
I can not speak to anywhere other than North America so for what it's worth try How To Become A Marine Surveyor
( a somewhat facetious title )
Old 19-04-2017, 23:30   #54

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

I have the same problem finding a serveyor which I can trust in Greece ..everybody knows everybody and I have the feeling that they aren't relayble enough and some time I am not sure who's side they serves !!
I thinking of moving from monohul to cat and if anyone knows any info for honest surveyor at greece please let me know!!
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 00:24   #55

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakaman View Post
I have the same problem finding a serveyor which I can trust in Greece ..everybody knows everybody and I have the feeling that they aren't relayble enough and some time I am not sure who's side they serves !!
I thinking of moving from monohul to cat and if anyone knows any info for honest surveyor at greece please let me know!!
Bless your heart, Stakaman! I hope someone there can help you, you really need input from the Med. Disregard input from the US, 'cause mostly, they don't know what is happening in Europe.

Ann
Old 20-04-2017, 00:46   #56

Boat: TBC

Quote:
Hi!
I haven't had a survey done on a boat in Greece yet but it will happen sometime soon.
I've looked around for a while for a good surveyor around Athens and particularly one that speaks English. Walsh Marine's name comes up quite often.

Although I have had no dealings with the company (as yet) I have seen a few of their surveys on a number of yachts which seem to very comprehensive and detailed.

Their full details;
Walsh Marine
72 Kolokotroni Street
Piraeus 185 35
Greece
Tel: +30 210 483 9603
Mob: +30 6941 602 677
Walsh Marine
Email: survey@walshmarine.gr

Hope this is some help
FilBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 00:50   #57

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
One option is to call in a surveyor from some other European country that you trust more, if that fits within your budget. Flight tickets are not that expensive, and the surveyor would be independent with good probability.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 01:11   #58

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
One option is to call in a surveyor from some other European country that you trust more, if that fits within your budget. Flight tickets are not that expensive, and the surveyor would be independent with good probability.

This is likely the best option have !!
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 03:49   #59

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I'm not sure how it is in other countries but in the US, there is no regulations on who can do a survey. There are alot of surveyors out there right now doing "surveys" with no credentials etc and nothing is or can be done e about it. I see boat owners all the time who hired a surveyor and never checked them for the single credential or E&o ins. Almost like the medical field in FL lol
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 01:41   #60

Boat: Nautitech 442, 44 ft

Hello all,
I appreciate all the advices above, since I am looking for a surveyor in Florida before a purchase. Certainly the gathered information will be useful, some of the given contacts seem quite accurate for my needs.
As a feedback I can give a name for those who need a surveyor in Greece : Robert Blottière is established in Istanbul, Turkey, and has a good reputation for surveys in Greece and Turkey. He speaks fluent English and Turkish. I had a pre-purchase survey on a boat in Turkey and was satisfied.
expert maritime Turquie
(English translation available)

Tags
survey, surveyor