Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2016, 17:30   #31
Registered User
 
sailpower's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 783
Re: Financing for an older boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Also, walk the marinas and see all the financed boats that never move........
How do you visually determine that they are financed?

How do you determine the correlation of their use to their loan?
__________________

__________________
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 17:41   #32
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,449
Re: Financing for an older boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
How do you visually determine that they are financed?

How do you determine the correlation of their use to their loan?
The point is most boats never leave the dock. I took a WAG that some of them were financed.

Folks come on CF all fired up and just get more fired up by many folks here that haven't sailed their boats in weeks or months.

I just try to bring them back to reality......

I sailed last weekend ................and will again this weekend on my $2,000 boat with it's clean bottom, new sails, and engine
__________________

__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 18:04   #33
Registered User
 
sailpower's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 783
Re: Financing for an older boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The point is most boats never leave the dock. I took a WAG that some of them were financed.

Folks come on CF all fired up and just get more fired up by many folks here that haven't sailed their boats in weeks or months.

I just try to bring them back to reality......

I sailed last weekend ................and will again this weekend on my $2,000 boat with it's clean bottom, new sails, and engine
OK, that works for you for you but not everyone wants a $2k 27 footer.

The OP's question was do any of us know where he can finance a 1974 vintage boat? That's it.

You can read the rest and see where that went.

Gotta love the internet.
__________________
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 18:14   #34
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,449
Re: Financing for an older boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
OK, that works for you for you but not everyone wants a $2k 27 footer.

The OP's question was do any of us know where he can finance a 1974 vintage boat? That's it.

You can read the rest and see where that went.

Gotta love the internet.
Maybe he needs to rethink things as you should.

Financing a 1974 boat may not be the best idea.

Btw, a $2,000.00 boat that is 27 feet long is a very good size for a singlehander seeing if he really wants to sail slow monohulls and cruise

Guess I could have financed a $30,000 - $50,000 boat for that but I chose to pay cash for this trial. Could be he is just overly excited .............not to mention the other costs

I have $8,500.00 in my $2,000.00 boat over the 5 years I've owned it. New main, engines, solar, controller, bottom jobs, topside paint, inverters, etc
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 18:41   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Easton, MD
Boat: Catalina 22 Capri
Posts: 980
Re: Financing for an older boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
You have a real gift for making the comprehensible incomprehensible. Is it simply an accident or an actual skill?
It's a well honed skill.
__________________
kmacdonald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 19:04   #36
Registered User
 
sailpower's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 783
Re: Financing for an older boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Maybe he needs to rethink things as you should.

Financing a 1974 boat may not be the best idea.

Btw, a $2,000.00 boat that is 27 feet long is a very good size for a singlehander seeing if he really wants to sail slow monohulls and cruise

Guess I could have financed a $30,000 - $50,000 boat for that but I chose to pay cash for this trial. Could be he is just overly excited .............not to mention the other costs

I have $8,500.00 in my $2,000.00 boat over the 5 years I've owned it. New main, engines, solar, controller, bottom jobs, topside paint, inverters, etc
As I should? I have no interest in a 27' boat.

Too small and uncomfortable for me.

I have had 31, 30, 42, and 30.

That doesn't mean that I would tell you not to buy it for you.

See how that works?
__________________
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 19:08   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Alberg #0
Posts: 268
Re: Financing for an older boat

Rethink the size of boat your ego can handle and give the Alberg30 a good look as a cash buy. I've seen them for as little as $5k with the original gas engine. Hold out for something with a diesel repower and be prepared to pay $15k for a v nice example.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 20:02   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,164
Re: Financing for an older boat

Well, the OP caught an ear-full as a result of his first post here. I reckon he won't be back, but let's hope he gives his "problem" some sober second thought :-)

TrentePieds
__________________
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 20:43   #39
Registered User
 
sailpower's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 783
Re: Financing for an older boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Well, the OP caught an ear-full as a result of his first post here. I reckon he won't be back, but let's hope he gives his "problem" some sober second thought :-)

TrentePieds
Hard to know what his "problem" might be?

We have no idea what he is hoping to buy other than the year.

But, at least he knows now all the mistakes he is making and how he needs help with his life decisions.

Clearly a small POS with full stooping headroom and rigged for barely camping is what he needs to buy and pay cash for.

Shocking that he left without gratefully acknowledging that?

Oh well, there will be others along needing to be enlightened.

It's why the internet was invented
__________________
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 04:57   #40
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Financing for an older boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickpaul View Post
Rethink the size of boat your ego can handle and give the Alberg30 a good look as a cash buy. I've seen them for as little as $5k with the original gas engine. Hold out for something with a diesel repower and be prepared to pay $15k for a v nice example.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Most YMCAs have boat auctions up and down the east coast. Can sometimes find super buys. Also a lot of groups like the scouts have boats donated for resale(tax deductions) cheap. There is also the salvage, repos, and derelict removal sources. Lots of ways to get a decent sailboat needing work for next to nothing. Just requires leg work. Internet is a start but really need to look into the maritime commercial publications, bulletin boards at marinas and boatyards, and so forth.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 05:05   #41
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,449
Re: Financing for an older boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
As I should? I have no interest in a 27' boat.

Too small and uncomfortable for me.

I have had 31, 30, 42, and 30.

That doesn't mean that I would tell you not to buy it for you.

See how that works?
Looks like you missed the point.

I was saying he should rethink things as in price so he wouldn't have to finance.

Get it?

As far as boats and size, I have had a 14' power boat, three 16' power boats, a 17' power boat, a dinghy sailboat, two 16' Hobie Cat Sailboats, an F-17 Nacra Sailboat (w/spinnaker), a Nacra 6.0 Sailboat (w/spinnaker), and finally this Bristol 27 which I bought after I came back up here from Florida to test the idea of being a slowboat monohull sailor.

Not everyone wants a boat that's a house on the water with all the modern conveniences.

Some of us enjoy the challenges of a smaller boat especially one that can sail most oceans if properly prepped. Plus it keeps you in good shape......with the work involved
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 15:52   #42
Registered User
 
sailpower's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 783
Re: Financing for an older boat

Nice of you to take the time to tell him what he should do.

Do you have an answer to his actual question?




Sent from my VS990 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 16:18   #43
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 85
Re: Financing for an older boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Nice of you to take the time to tell him what he should do.
Do you have an answer to his actual question?
I think we have ears to understand.. (a bit unpolite to just repeat the same over and over imo). Personally I disagree with what you write and think, the answers are right here...
__________________
blu3534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 16:39   #44
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,449
Re: Financing for an older boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Nice of you to take the time to tell him what he should do.

Do you have an answer to his actual question?

Sent from my VS990 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You kidding right?

First, most all threads veer off the original question at some point.

Secondly, don't we all learn about financing when we attempted to buy our first car at around age 16 or 17 especially we boomers (because most of us were given nothing) Actually I paid cash for my first car $125.00 at age 15, 8 months then financed my second at age 16. $1,000.00.

You go to the bank for that $1,000.00 loan and the loan officer is like.....what do you have for collateral son?

Me at 16: Ah.....I have $35.00 which was what I just got paid and my high school ring!

Loan Officer: Okay, but you want a loan of $1,000 for a vehicle that's worth maybe $600.00

Me at 16: Really? But the man said it was worth $1,000!

Loan Officer: Okay, if you really want the car and your parents have good credit we can give you a loan IF they cosign.

Me: Awesome!

OP, there's your answer. Call Mom and Dad !
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 06:45   #45
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,948
Images: 6
Re: Financing for an older boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Nice of you to take the time to tell him what he should do.
Yes it was, wasn't it? Just like you taking the time to tell everyone here what they should post, and how they should answer questions.

It's the internet! Lighten up, Francis!
__________________

__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
financing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Financing older boat in Canada sirlandsalot Monohull Sailboats 8 07-02-2016 07:37
Older Boat Financing Rant offline Dollars & Cents 25 24-10-2011 06:06
Current Financing Options for Older Monohulls offline Monohull Sailboats 17 12-06-2011 23:17
Financing Older Boats linuxchiq Off Topic Forum 14 08-08-2008 06:30
Financing Older vs Newer Boat - Eventual Depreciation swabbmob Dollars & Cents 33 11-07-2008 04:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:15.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.