Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 17:31   #46

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic - Heads Up
Send a message via Yahoo to CaptHead
I have friends in Mexico who get 1500 a month and send 1000 back. Just depends on your needs and abilities to fish. Fish is the original organic meat. They sell fresh fruits and veggies cheap. Tortillas are subsidized and cheap.

Beer/cervesa is the highest thing there. Oso Negro and fruit juice is cheap and the cruisers drink.
1966 Grand Banks 42 Hull #17
Twin Ford Lehman Diesels
Sterling LP over Epoxy
Life is Great, Skip the Beach
CaptHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 20:23   #47
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I am now rolling on the floor laughing.

Man you guys are cold!!!!!!

No, my daughter like her mother is beautiful.
Now, if I left my mother-in-law in the parking lot..........naw she'd still be there when I got back.......even with a $100 bill pinned to a sign around her neck that read "FREE TO A GOOD HOME" no one would steal her either.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 21:46   #48

Boat: inspiration 10 - 10.5 mtrs capricorn magic
That Oz guy that bad mouthed Aust,he really didn't want too many of you guys coming here or it would stuff it up for us with all this money you guys hand out. Entry for Bahamas $300? We can cruise all around Oz and only pay for marinas when we want to stay and hand out our hard earned cash. if you want work there's plenty of that, and if you have any expertise that's well paid too. We have great cruising grounds, particularly on the East coast, so many. I loved sailing in Jervis bay,Sydney Harbour,and Broken Bay in New South Wales. Queensland has lots of places all the way up the coast, with the Whitsunday Is in particular, the Percy Is off Mackay, not forgetting the Keppel Is, just magic! All with a great climate to boot! No snow or ice,waters usually warm, a bit windy at times but that's what catchup days at anchor are for. I've heard NZ is pretty good too but a bit colder than Oz. Natureboy.
lolanreg@smartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 21:02   #49

So in summary it's "have tons of money and buy a cheap boat relative to your huge pile of cash."

Anyone who says a technique is "fail safe" when it comes to investing hasn't been around the block too much.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 21:10   #50
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I am waitng for my "Bailout" call from Washington.....

still waiting............

yeah still waiting.........
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 09:38   #51

Boat: Formosa Transworld 41 - Ago Vita
Send a message via Yahoo to offrd2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbin KY View Post
I say play, the Lord gave you one life, enjoy it!!!!
Im with you on this one. Alot of people tell me that I only live for today and never worry about whats to come tomorrow....I say to that, not true. What I worry about is 60 years down the road when I know its about my time and I look back over my years and examine them. WHAT DID I DO?? is the question I will ask myself. If the answer is: I worked for x company for 40 years, married to a beautiful wife, had some kids and just got done paying my house off......I havnt lived at all. There was no sense of adventure in there. I know some who read this will say....LIFE - is an adventure..no, its what you do with that life that is the adventure

Dave
offrd2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 14:39   #52
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrd2001 View Post
What I worry about is 60 years down the road when I know its about my time and I look back over my years and examine them. WHAT DID I DO?? is the question I will ask myself. If the answer is: I worked for x company for 40 years, married to a beautiful wife, had some kids and just got done paying my house off......I havnt lived at all. There was no sense of adventure in there. I know some who read this will say....LIFE - is an adventure..no, its what you do with that life that is the adventure
Obviously the experiances, dreams and goals of folk do differ - but the apparent discounting of the 40 year married thing struck me.........

........I never wanted the settled life with a wife, 2.2 kids and a Volvo for 40 years, as I simply didn't see the point. and spent a lot of time and had a lot of fun around the world without doing so Until I met da Missus.

I figure yer choose to do the company and house thing as part of the price of 40 years of being married to a beautiful wife, if that is what it takes for you / her / both. I'd have settled on that, indeed that was the reason my own Company started - building something for the future for us - for myself I would simply never have bothered......as it is I have not put much effort in since, a constant surprise that it seems to be doing quite well - how much better if I had some long term goals? In some respects a balance sheet is like a sunset - a million percent better when you can share with someone it also means something to. But c'est la vie

Adventures around the world over many years? long ago got that T-shirt. Never managed the 40 years married to da Missus thing before she fell off her perch......and that's something that I will regret when my time is up and I get to look back. and every day in between - no matter how many more adventures I have in the meantime (I am sure their are few more to come ).

I guess always the same. Wanting what we haven't got......

Just re-read the above. Somewhat maudlin' But I wrote it so f#ck it I'll post it Funny old day today all round
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 05:31   #53

Net worth is a comparative measurement. It doesn't value experience, skills, adventure, love, compassion, or even worth. I've met a few high net worth folks who I regarded with a low worth or even negative worth.

Net worth also doesn't include time as a factor. If we created a comparative measurement that evaluated how much time you have to enjoy your life versus total worth more people might actually stop fearing the unknown and start following a dream or two.

My wife and I are diversely skilled, have lot's of experiences, view life as an adventure- and are pretty much dead broke! I'd say we're pretty wealthy!

I would ask- which is harder:
a) follow a dream, live an adventure
b) earn money

I'm not sure I believe that anything is 'failsafe' anymore.
Old 20-03-2009, 12:55   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco007 View Post
Rule No 1. Never let your boat or boats represent more than 10% of your nett worth.

Rule No2. Own (this means you not the bank) sufficient rental real estate (professionally managed) or businesses with a sytem, that provide an income that is at least twice that of your cruising budget.

For strategies on achieving Rule No 2, read "The Cash Flow Quadrant" by Robert Kiyosaki.

If none of this fits your mind set, take your guts and you resources in your hand and JUST DO IT.

Just remember one thing:- "Nothing succeeds like a budgie!!"

Cheers from Cisco.

While I think the 10% of net worth is a bit unrealistic. I think the following advice is very bad. Rental properties are rarely profitable, unless you buy them at fire sale prices do no maintain them and act like a slum lord. Also with property tax and what not they are a very poor long term investment. Especially here in New York! I have a lot of friends that have investment property and are going bankrupt now that it is worth less than they owe. Real estate investors and speculators, granted bad ones, are a big portion of what has caused the current melt down.

Most of my net worth will be tied up in my boat, but I will own it outright and my income will start to add to my cruising kitty. The way I see it a 30 year old boat has depricated all it ever will. I may put a mortgage on it, just for tax purposes as it will be my residence.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 16:00   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Hi Jackstee
Please don't have a heart attack anytime that would be so sad.
Your profile says your'e in Pakistan and your boat is in Mallorca. Is this right?
Old 20-03-2009, 16:30   #56
cruiser

Boat: Crealock Del Rey 50 Cutter
This thread is a joke...started as a joke...and should end with a joke.

A man walks into a restaurant with a full-grown ostrich behind him. The waitress asks them for their orders.

The man says, "A hamburger, fries and a coke," and turns to the ostrich, "what's yours?"

"I'll have the same," says the ostrich.

A short time later the waitress returns with the order "That will be $9.40, please," and the man reaches into his pocket and pulls out the exact change for payment.

The next day, the man and the ostrich come again and the man says, "A hamburger, fries and a coke."

The ostrich says, "I'll have the same."

Again the man reaches into his pocket and pays with exact change.

This becomes routine until the two enter again. "The usual?" asks the waitress.

"No, this is Friday night, so I will have a steak, baked potato and a salad," says the man.

"Same," says the ostrich.

Shortly the waitress brings the order and says, "That will be $32.62."

Once again the man pulls the exact change out of his pocket and places it on the table.

The waitress cannot hold back her curiosity any longer. "Excuse me, sir. How do you manage to always come up with the exact change in your pocket every time?"

"Well," says the man, "several years ago, I was cleaning the attic and found an old lamp. When I rubbed it, a Genie appeared and offered me two wishes. My first wish was that if I ever had to pay for anything, I would just put my hand in my pocket and the right amount of money would always be there."

"That's brilliant!" says the waitress. "Most people would ask for a million dollars or something, but you'll always be as rich as you want for as long as you live!"

"That's right. Whether it's a gallon of milk or a Rolls Royce, the exact money is always there," says the man.

The waitress asks, "What's with the ostrich?"

The man sighs, pauses and answers, "My second wish was for a tall chick with a big butt and long legs who agrees with everything I say."
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 01:09   #57

Boat: Formosa Transworld 41 - Ago Vita
Send a message via Yahoo to offrd2001
Now I must say very clever joke Trim! David...an update for you. I am pursuading my girlfriend now that a sailing life can be achieved. Im telling her "just for one year" with my fingers crossed behind my back that she will want to keep going. I work overseas right now and we really never have time together so I have used this as an excuse to enjoy the days together that me missed for the last year and a half.

Dave
offrd2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 04:45   #58

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcdowell View Post
Net worth is a comparative measurement. It doesn't value experience, skills, adventure, love, compassion, or even worth. I've met a few high net worth folks who I regarded with a low worth or even negative worth.

Net worth also doesn't include time as a factor. If we created a comparative measurement that evaluated how much time you have to enjoy your life versus total worth more people might actually stop fearing the unknown and start following a dream or two.

My wife and I are diversely skilled, have lot's of experiences, view life as an adventure- and are pretty much dead broke! I'd say we're pretty wealthy!

I would ask- which is harder:
a) follow a dream, live an adventure
b) earn money

I'm not sure I believe that anything is 'failsafe' anymore.
So true. So True.

"Worth" is a subjective word.

How do you value net happiness?

For example. How much was Florence Nightingale "worth" ???
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:04   #59

"budgie"

What's a budgie??? (note: consider vocabulary forum)

You know it’s really just to bad, we can’t survive off of fish and salt water!!!
denniswbaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009, 20:16   #60

Anyone recall a book by Annie Hill entitled "Voyaging on a Small Income"? It was about her and her husband's philosophy of living on the interest of their savings-gov't bonds, as I recall. The best bit of philosophy from them that I can recall was: "True wealth is having enough money to keep you in the lifestyle of your choosing." If you "need" to take the family to a rerstaurant twice a week, it's gonna cost you a lot more than fixing the meals yourself. Keep your boat systems simple and reliable to reduce the number of breakdowns and the subsequent expense of parts/repair. Repair what you can yourself. Buy the best quality that you can afford. Self insure your boat-which means having it paid for, you assume the risk of it's loss. If you're living on interest income, you have a nest egg to fall back on for replacement or a plane ticket home if your boat goes down with your belongings. Just my free philosophical ramblings, and worth twice the purchase price.
Starchaser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
financing