Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 18-12-2008, 13:27   #16

I work on a big boat as engineer although 115ft aint that big now. Firstly it's fricken hard work 12/15 hr days sometimes 1 day off a month. The licences are hard to get and take time but relevant education can reduce the time required.

The flag state of the yacht also makes a big difference, which is why you see an increasing amount of flags of conveinience on yachts. I only went to engineer school for a week and that is enough for my current vessel. In reality the money is very good, the cruiser lifestyle, rum in the cockpit and exploring ashore....... forget it

Thats why I'm here dreaming of a way out
benfrancis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 15:28   #17

Boat: in between
six and six

Yeah, that's more like it and how I remember working in the hole. We were six on, six off and steaming seven days a week underway. Then we had to go port and starboard watches in port to get the work done we needed to knock out while the plant was cold iron.

They used to have a "holiday routine" on Sundays. The snipes used to say, "Holiday for the crew, routine for engineering."