Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2016, 13:31   #1

Dutch boat in Turkey

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to transport my boat (7m) from The Netherlands to Turkey by car and leave it there. I spend my summer months in Turkey (Izmir) every year and would love to store my boat there. I am a Dutch citizen.

However, I am not sure what the things are that I have to consider (paperwork tax etc.). Also, I am not aware about the flags since in Dutch canals we are not required to.

Are there other possibilities, like buying a boat with a foreign flag in Turkey instead?

Thank you in advance.
bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 04:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Dutch boat in Turkey

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, bino.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 06:17   #3

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bino View Post
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to transport my boat (7m) from The Netherlands to Turkey by car and leave it there. I spend my summer months in Turkey (Izmir) every year and would love to store my boat there. I am a Dutch citizen.
Boat regulations - All About Turkey

Quote:
However, I am not sure what the things are that I have to consider (paperwork tax etc.). Also, I am not aware about the flags since in Dutch canals we are not required to.
This one usually does the trick , but you need some sort of ownership papers / ships registration in most other countries outside NL

ICP aanvragen - Watersportverbond

Quote:
Are there other possibilities, like buying a boat with a foreign flag in Turkey instead?

Thank you in advance.
Of course you can buy a yacht (tax free even) in Turkey and leave it there . As long as you follow the rules of the land
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 07:04   #4

Quote:
I spend my summer months in Turkey (Izmir) every year and would love to store my boat there.
In the light of the sad recent political events I suggest you stop your habits of happy-summer-months-in-turkey. No need to support dictators (voters) who kick out employes based on despotism. Don't you agree?
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 08:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
Don't you agree?
actually , no , I dont agree
Since OP has spent many summer over (I presume) many years in Turkey I assume he is fully aware of the political situation and is in a much better position to judge whether or not to visit than we are ?

Don't you agree ?
Old 18-11-2016, 09:32   #6

Boat: Malo 39

I can't comment on the practicalities of shipping over land to Turkey but keeping you boat in Turkey is no problem. The people are great and the services and climate excellent. No problem with a Dutch flag or any other. You will have to take the boat out of Turkey every 5 years (I think) to avoid issues, but you can leave and immediately go back.
Buying a tax paid EU boat and then registering as Dutch flag should also be possible. I bought an Austrian flagged boat and re-registered as British and I am living in Switzerland, so many things are possible.
The political comments on not visiting a country are interesting. It's a personal choice. Many may question the wisdom of visiting the USA after recent events. As a wise person once said ..... do not make political jokes...you risk having them elected.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 09:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
Buying a tax paid EU boat and then registering as Dutch flag should also be possible. I bought an Austrian flagged boat and re-registered as British and I am living in Switzerland, so many things are possible.
One thing I do know , at least I was told by the Dutch tax people:

If you take a VAT paid boat out of the EU for longer than 3 years it looses it 'VAT paid' status.

If you want to buy and keep a yacht for longer than 3 years in Turkey , you may as well buy a VAT not paid yacht there . You can always pay VAT if you decide to return to the EU

p.s. registering a yacht is Holland is very easy for citizens , regardless of whether VAT is paid or not
Old 18-11-2016, 11:58   #8

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Due to EU VAT and Boating Directive issues there are many boats for sale in Turkey that can be had very reasonably, because they can't easily be taken into the EU by an EU citizen. Consider buying one of them instead.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 12:32   #9

Boat: Hans Christian 41 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post
actually , no , I dont agree
Since OP has spent many summer over (I presume) many years in Turkey I assume he is fully aware of the political situation and is in a much better position to judge whether or not to visit than we are ?

Don't you agree ?
I agree.

"I can't comment on the practicalities of shipping over land to Turkey but keeping you boat in Turkey is no problem. The people are great and the services and climate excellent. No problem with a Dutch flag or any other. You will have to take the boat out of Turkey every 5 years (I think) to avoid issues, but you can leave and immediately go back.
The political comments on not visiting a country are interesting. It's a personal choice. Many may question the wisdom of visiting the USA after recent events. As a wise person once said ..... do not make political jokes...you risk having them elected."

Again, I agree.

Two in row; maybe a record.
Old 18-11-2016, 18:22   #10

Boat: tayana custom 58

you might consider not going to the US as well with Trump coming. Pls stop this ridicules comments like the one i am responding as well as this one!!! Tis is sailing!!!
monus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 03:17   #11

Hello Bino,

I am based in Greece and some of our customers are dutch. Most of them usually sail with their boats over summer in the Greek islands and other parts of the Mediterranean, this can only happen if the vessel class allows them to do so. What type of vessel do you own and does it have a Class assigned to it?

I suppose that since you want to move it to Turkey by road your vessel does not carry a class, am i correct to assume this?

Thank you

Yiannis
yiannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 03:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiannis View Post
I suppose that since you want to move it to Turkey by road your vessel does not carry a class, am i correct to assume this?

Thank you

Yiannis
I am not going to answer for Bino or his specific case , but in general :

- Boats in The Netherlands do not carry any class (its non existent here)

- typically sailing yachts in The Netherlands do not carry any registration papers (its not needed)

- typically sailing yachts in the Netherlands do not carry an official flag or ownership documentation

- boat insurance is not mandatory

- licenses to operate a boat (ICC) only mandatory for yachts over 15 (or 20 ?) meter or boats faster than 20kph , so typical sailing yachts do not require any license

The only thing you could be asked for on (newish) yachts is an invoice or document stating that VAT is paid

I think the reason why Bino wants to move his yacht to Turkey by car is the size :-) 7 meter is not that big and its probably safer and quicker to bring it to Turkey by car than sail it

personally I would forget about moving my own 7 meter sailing yacht there by car. I'd sell my boat here and with that money, and the money that is saved by not moving the boat several 1000's kms to another country , buy a small yacht in Turkey .. but thats just me
Old 19-11-2016, 03:45   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dutch boat in Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneJK View Post

I think the reason why Bino wants to move his yacht to Turkey by car is the size :-) 7 meter is not that big and its probably safer and quicker to bring it to Turkey by car than sail it
Also he will have a trailer to store her on when he's not there.. and the ability to explore cruising grounds further afield.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 04:09   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Also he will have a trailer to store her on when he's not there.. and the ability to explore cruising grounds further afield.
true , but that would require not just a trailer but also a car to move the boat ? .. oh , I just realized cars can be rented
Old 19-11-2016, 04:18   #15

I just noticed that the boat is under 7m so i would have to agree with ReneJK. I would probably sell the vessel in NL and buy another in Turkey. Trailers in Turkey are cheaper than NL specially if you can find a used one. Otherwise you can always store the boat in the marina's parking spaces.
yiannis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Turkey