Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2012, 12:00   #1

Dreaming and Planning

First my question, at a very high level, what does insurance run for a 60' sailboat that one would live on full time (liability and hull)? Area to cruise would be coastal north america including (a lot) of the Caribbean.

I am beginning to try and estimate the cost of retiring on a sailboat. I am probably 15 years away from retirement. Right now I am just trying to get a feel for the "real and complete" costs.

So beyond my insurance question, any other info and estimates would be great.

I lake sailed a lot as a teenager, but haven't sailed in 30 years. I have started reading navigation manuals (BOWDITCH), and intend to buy a lake sailboat to get back into it. I have a bit of time.

Is a 60' a reasonable size to live on full time? I am going to start trying to look at boats (boat show or on my next visit to the coast).

Any guidance would be awesome

Again this is the start - but I believe in planning and costs are key
mattstoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 12:29   #2

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Re: Dreaming and Planning

Alone or with family? 60' is more than sufficient for me. There are many who live in less, there are some who live on more and pay accordingly.

Lots of info here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...archid=3851176
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 13:08   #3

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

If you haven't sailed in a long time you may have trouble finding an insurance company that will sell you insurance on such a big boat. Also the cost of the policy depends not only on how much experience you have but where you plan to sail to, what time of year and what kind of coverages and deuctables you select.

To get an insurance quote you could go to yacht world and hypothetically pick out a boat you would be interested in and then get a price quote.

For a sixty foot boat your marina costs will be high and slips harder to find. Maintenance will also be very high because much of it is based on the length of the boat, ie haul outs, paint, etc.
Keeping it cool in summer and warm in winter can add to costs as well.
Many couples choose boats in the 35 to 42' range and find that size not only comfortable for cruising but more reasonable to maneuver in.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 13:20   #4

Thank you for this so far. To keep clarifying. It would be me and my wife the majority of time. I intend to build my experience over the next 15+ years. First on just lake sailing, then lessons and a license, then rentals (maybe for vacation), then maybe my first small ocean boat.

If it takes 20 years, that works as well.
Old 20-09-2012, 13:23   #5

The link did not seem to work. I did a search on 3851176 and the only thing it returned is my post. Any ideas?