Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 04:38   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
”Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
Teach a man to create an artificial shortage of fish and he will eat steak.”

- Jay Leno

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:01   #62
cruiser

Wow... I can safely say I agree with every post since my last one on this thread. I'm glad to see there is a bit of decency left. I definitely don't want to promote the idea that giving to any old charity or "charity" is a good idea. On the contrary, I am trying to question the idea of giving to "needy" yachties. It was that Flying Pig guy that really opened my eyes up to this problem.

Of course everyone should be skeptical about any charity and seeing the annual report is the best way to go. if they don't have one, then I don't trust them either.

But anyway... hopefully somebody will read this and remember to give to truly needy people before giving out to "needy" yachties. None of us boat owners are destitute enough to need a handout. Not even me.

Rebel Heart: I agree with everything you say, and your blog entry except one thing - the race bit. Blacks, Hispanics, Irish, Norweigans, Albanians, Chinese, Korean, Indian, etc... anyone with money to own a boat isn't needy enough to need a donation. I can't tie that to ethniciity.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:37   #63

Boat: To be determined
Send a message via MSN to RichT
Unhappy Hey buddy, can ya spare a million???

Sean,
I've been following this, and some other threads, (the one about where to anchor for free comes to mind), and it seems to me that our perspective on what constitutes "need" in this country has become woefully distorted.

Since I haven't been working the last couple of months, I devour the news sites pretty much daily. I still think this is a great country, and there are a lot of really decent, well intentioned, kind, and giving, folks here. Evidence the concern for Wheels well being displayed on this forum. However, I can't help but question our sense of perspective when, on the same day, I hear a news story about how people devastated by Katrina are still waiting for some emergency funding to help rebuild their homes and their lives, and the next news story is about how much time, effort, and money, is being spent on a state dinner for the Queen's visit. I hear a story about children attacking each other on a school bus, at the same time that everyone is speculating about whether Paris Hilton is actually going to jail, as if there is some question that she should.

I received an email the other day from a friend about Denzel Washington visiting a facility that houses displaced families. He asked how much it cost to build one of the units, and right then and there, wrote a check for the entire amount. Never saw that one on the news. But, I did see the one about a drunk David Hasselhoff. Which one makes better news, and which one would you rather hear about???

So, I guess what I'm saying is that it is up to us, as individuals, to support those things we deem "worthy". And, that includes political figures. Not delving into politics here, don't care who any one supports or votes for, just saying we need to stick to our personal ideals and integrity, and choose what we think is "right". If enough of us do that, maybe we can delay, or even change, the apparent degradation of our great society.

Rant off, fair winds to all,

RichT.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote