Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 16:53   #16

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: Selling a yacht on hard put people off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Someone who knows to do it when the winds coming from the right direction...
Like... the bow to 45* either side...
if a boat'll fall over that easy in the yard you use...
Change Yards..
Man... I really do wonder sometimes...
One of the yards in fort lauderdale had a 164 foot boat fall of the stands. They were getting ready to haul it to the water. they took out half the stands, wind came up and over the boat went. This was a power boat. makes me wonder who would raise the sails while a sailboat is on the hard
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 17:03   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Selling a yacht on hard put people off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
One of the yards in fort lauderdale had a 164 foot boat fall of the stands. They were getting ready to haul it to the water. they took out half the stands, wind came up and over the boat went. This was a power boat. makes me wonder who would raise the sails while a sailboat is on the hard

Guess......
Its only dangerous if one does not know what they're doing....
like folk who move stands to soon...
Would you pull the stands before the slings/whatever took the weight of Your boat...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 17:21   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I bought my boat off the hard and preferred it. There was no rush doing the survey as there was no yard induced or buyer induced time limit. Once the on hard inspection was done we floated for 2 days of sea trials. I had a good idea that I was going to close the deal and when we did we didn't go back on the hard.

From the owners perspective he sailed very infrequently so chose to dry sail it. A lot less maintenance and wear and tear on the boat as opposed to a mooring at about the same cost as a mooring.

The only consideration is that if your marina has a waiting list and you give up the slip and then sell the boat to a local, it may be a detractor to not have an assumable slip.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 17:30   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Does Selling a Yacht on the Hard Put People Off ?

Somebody who is not completely familiar with a particular type of boat would probably want to sail it and to see it on the hard.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 19:32   #20

If a potential buyer wants to go to sea trials and they end up not buying it, who has to pay to take it back out of the water again?
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 19:54   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse77 View Post
. . . Alternately we would be looking for an affordable slip in a marina east of Orlando, you know of one?
In the water or on the hard, the marinas/boatyards east of Orlando charge about the same whether you are in the water or on the hard.

- - One advantage of being on the hard in eastern middle Florida is the lack of bottom fouling. The waters here are rather prolific and it doesn't take long to acquire a massive amount of bottom fouling.

- - This would add to the costs of preparing the boat for sea trials as you would have to pay to have a diver scrub the bottom if you kept the boat in the water.

- - As to sails and stuff on the "hard" most yards here in Florida flat out prohibit any sail raising while in jack stands and even make you remove any headsails before the boat can be hauled. As mentioned by other posters, an average Florida thunderstorm or squall cells will blow the boat over before you could react.

- - The most economical "in-water" marina I found in central east coast Florida was Harbor Town marina in Cape Canaveral/Merritt Island. All the other charge (amazingly) pretty much exactly the same for a slip.

- - For storage on the hard, the most economical I found was Titusville's Westland Marine. They were giving the "second month" free, otherwise the rates are also the same as elsewhere.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard, yacht