Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 07:18   #61

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Documentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Sorry they got you too. Do whatever you can to spread the word. As more and more people find out about this, eventually it will come to an end. The scumbags in question will find that the little bit of revenue generated won't even pay the postage bill.
I really hope you're right.

But I've learned that it's hard to over-estimate the gullibility of the average American.

First, enough people fall for the scam that there's probably a pretty good income stream there. And most people probably just shrug and move on.

Second, I suspect they have the dispute process for all the credit card issuers pretty well figured out, and rarely lose.

Third, and this is key to their long-term success, a lot of people (and especially, a lot of boaters) will happily pay an extra 200% for someone else to do something they could have easily done themselves.

I suspect there are thousands of boaters who use this service, and think nothing of dropping an extra $50 annually to let someone else deal with their documentation renewal.

Frankly, I'm surprised they're not charging $500. I bet they'd still get plenty of folks who think paying more means they're getting something "better." Just look at all the people putting premium gas into their 97-octane cars.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:25   #62

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

I suspect they have the dispute process for all the credit card issuers pretty well figured out, and rarely lose.

I'm sure you are right on this, but I would hope that there is a limit to the number of complaints a credit card company will put up with before they pull the rug out from under these people.
It costs them money every time they have to investigate a dispute. Eventually, the cost of investigating disputes will overtake the revenue generated.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 14:16   #63
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Frankly, I'm surprised they're not charging $500. I bet they'd still get plenty of folks who think paying more means they're getting something "better." Just look at all the people putting premium gas into their 97-octane cars.
Actually, they nailed me for $450 for reinstatement of documentation. Mine lapse a couple of months ago and I received a letter from them. Went to the site that looks just like I would expect an official site to look like. It is not that I would object to paying this if I thought it was officially what it cost. The issue is that they make everything look and sound official to deceive people - at least give me a ****ing choice to pay more rather than make me think this is what I need to pay.

You are probably correct that my money is gone and they have it down with the credit card companies. The problem with our country today is people think that this is OK. Make a ****ing dollar anyway you can and too bad if you get scammed.

Problem too is no one complains officially - I complained to the Better Business Bureau of Billings, Montana - yes that is the official address of this company although I have seen that this scumbag has had other sites as well - one called uscgdocumentationcenter - that is not deceitful is it? This is the address

Maritime Documentation Center
100 24th Street W, STE 1-108
Billings, Montana 59102

After finding out this center was registered through another shell corporation in Missoula, I found the real owner is

John Soria
PO Box 2320, Chino Hills, CA 91790

Still think that this is a really honest businessman just trying to make a buck??
Moke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 16:47   #64

Boat: Columbia 36

They're acting as a "broker" which is perfectly legal if you disregard the misrepresentation as the USCG. A broker service would come in handy if you were attempting a difficult transaction such as a change in endorsements. But I'd bet they don't do that...
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:40   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
They're acting as a "broker" which is perfectly legal if you disregard the misrepresentation as the USCG. A broker service would come in handy if you were attempting a difficult transaction such as a change in endorsements. But I'd bet they don't do that...
Yes, they are completely legal and do provide a service.
Legal - yes....ethical - NO.

I agree that there are times where it is prudent to use a documentation service, but for most people, doing it yourself is no big deal and will save a lot of money. Especially for renewal. $75 vs $26. It's a no brainer.
Old 13-02-2018, 16:23   #66

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

A handy feature of this scam is that they mail out their reminders early...that reminded me to go online at the NVDC site and renew quickly and easily for $26.

[emoji41]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 17:28   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
A handy feature of this scam is that they mail out their reminders early...that reminded me to go online at the NVDC site and renew quickly and easily for $26.

[emoji41]
Be careful doing that. If you renew when you get your reminder letter from the scum bags, there's a very good chance you will loose one month of documentation, meaning you are paying for 12 months but are only getting 11 months.
That's what happened to me when I fell for this scam...only got 11 months. I know of a few people who only got 10 months.
Old 13-02-2018, 17:52   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
I understand that application and processing fees are non-refundable as per U.S. Vessel Documentation and as per 46 CFR 67.500(e)"[/INDENT]
Another buffalo shuffle .... "46 CFR 67.500(e)" says USCG fees are non-refundable it says nothing about other sleazy businesses.
Old 13-02-2018, 18:46   #69

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck34 View Post
Be careful doing that. If you renew when you get your reminder letter from the scum bags, there's a very good chance you will loose one month of documentation, meaning you are paying for 12 months but are only getting 11 months.
That's what happened to me when I fell for this scam...only got 11 months. I know of a few people who only got 10 months.
True, but at $2.16 per month its not a big loss.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 06:15   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
True, but at $2.16 per month its not a big loss.

That's true, but I get snookered by the scammers, so I had a huge $6.25 loss.

Hey...what can I say...I'm a cheap tightwad and like getting all I can I can for my money.
Old 17-03-2018, 04:24   #71

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

A Courtesy Notice was received from Maritime Documentation Center 2½ months prior to expiration of the expiration of the Certificate of Documentation.

The letter and envelope that were received have been edited to remove personal information and to highlight features showing that they are not the National Vessel Documentation Center.

This is a useful reminder to renew the Certificate of Documentation soon.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 04:47   #72

Boat: Formosa 41

I think the US Department of Education should look into this.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 07:49   #73

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I just got my documentation renewal from the "real" NVDC. Took just a few minutes to renew on line, got it in 8 days, and only cost $26.

But I'm starting to admire this scam a little.

There are a people who would feel cheapened by having to do something like navigate the NVDC payment process, all for something that's "only" $26. They would LOVE to pay someone else to do this for them. It would make them feel important to have minions to do it for them. The more they paid for this "service," the more important they'll feel.

Between living in a high-net-worth area, and being around boaters, I know a lot of these people. It's not that money is no object, it's that conspicuous spending of that money makes them feel good.

This is the market these scammers are going after. They are providing a service which, to their customers, is well worth it. The emperor's new clothes, if you will.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men